“Not great”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in St. Albans
hertfordshire
“Not great”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We visited sopwell house for an evening charity event and stayed over. The check in went smoothly and the staff were very pleasant. We had a snack in the cocktail lounge bar which was fine. The room was offered at a reduced rate because it was a charity event so £120 instead of £169. The room was ok, decor a bit tired, the handle on the bathroom door was hanging off and it wasn't totally clean in the bathroom, wires hanging out of e heated towel rail. Shower was very powerful and hot water. Towels lovely and fluffy. Coffee and tea facilities in the cupboard. Bed nice and comfy. The corridors are noisy, creaky floors. Room service took quite a while and was cold when it arrived. Breakfast was lovely, lots of choice and fresh. This overlooks the pool. Huge queue at check out but again friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 2aspen
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent visit for a charity event at Sopwell House.

I am pleased check in was smooth and that you enjoyed your snack in the cocktail bar. I also understand the event was a wonderful success for a great cause.

As you may be aware, the hotel has been undergoing a phased refurbishment plan and I am sorry you were not allocated one of our lovely new rooms on this occasion. That said, the feedback on your room is not in keeping with our very high standards and I would therefore be grateful if you would be kind enough to contact me via enquries@sopwellhouse.co.uk with the details of your stay in order I can investigate the faults in your room as soon as possible. I would always encourage any guest to report any issues while on site in order these can be rectified or addressed immediately.

In contrast I was encouraged by some of your other very positive comments and I would really like the opportunity to correct the disappointing aspects of your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you again for taking the time to provide your comments.

Alessandro Convertino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We were after a great meal and a restful night away followed by a swim. Service, food and swim were great. We were on the second floor above the banquet hall and had to put up with bass ripping through the building until 12.30am. If you stay here get a room on the other side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the banquet hall since the sound carries
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review and I am extremely sorry your great experience in terms of service, food and our fabulous leisure facilities were overshadowed by some late night noise from one of our functions during your stay.

I understand we had an over zealous and enthusiastic DJ on site and whilst we have very strict guidelines in terms of noise levels, it seems these were sadly ignored despite our best efforts.

I do hope this isolated incident will not deter you from visiting us again and hope you will see from the majority of our very positive reviews that Sopwell House is indeed a perfect destination for a relaxing time away.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future and thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I organised a wedding here a couple of weeks ago. On the day, it was marvellous and the Banqueting Team were superb. Nothing was too much trouble, the food and setting were perfect, but the Conference and Events team let us down badly in preparations for the day. I could list half a dozen specific issues, and although I highlighted my worries to them well in advance, and indeed since the wedding, didn't feel anyone was really listening. In fact, my wife and I have coined a new term - a " Sopwell", which is a generic word covering any unsatisfactory response to a complaint or issue raised.
Would I organise a wedding here again? I think I would - but my advice would be to get straight on the phone or meet with the General Manager in the event of any concern.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AlrewasRob
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and for recommending Sopwell House as the perfect place to get married. I know the day was a wonderful occasion.

I very much appreciate your comments regarding our Banqueting team who always work so hard to make our weddings as special as they should be and I am glad this was apparent.

Obviously I am aware of a few issues that arose in the lead up to the big day which were resolved and addressed in our correspondence.

Thank you once again for sharing your valuable feedback and I hope to see you again very soon.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We spent our anniversary weekend at Sopwell House. We had a lovely four poster suite. The most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. There is a lovely outside area where you can eat and drink and a very comfortable lounge area. The staff are all polite and friendly. The pool area is very nice with comfortable sun loungers both inside and outside. The treatments are quite expensive and, though I didn't have one on this visit, on our previous visit I had a wonderful full body massage. We are definitely planning to go back as it is a lovely place to relax and unwind.

Room Tip: The four poster suite is lovely, comfortable and a good size.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lesley W
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review of Sopwell House and may I also take this opportunity to congratulate you and your husband on your recent anniversary celebration.

I am so glad you enjoyed your four poster suite and am absolutely delighted that your bed was the most comfortable you have ever slept in which is high praise indeed!

Thank you also for your very positive feedback on our polite and friendly staff and facilities which is always most rewarding to receive and sincerely appreciated.

We look forward to warmly welcoming you back for your next relaxing break and thank you again for sharing your experience.

Best wishes

essex
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was our first visit to Sopwell House but we're already planning to return. I went as a group of 4 women on a 2 night spa break, and it really would be hard to find fault with anything.
Our executive rooms were large and stylish, with the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever experienced.
Staff were - without exception - courteous, efficient, friendly and helpful
Food was very good both in the Brasserie and the Restaurant.
The spa was lovely - treatments were excellent and the pool area was spacious and clean.
The only thing that would improve the spa would be a 'relax room' to chill out in after your treatment.
The cocktail bar was stylish and we found drinks prices to be very reasonable.
In fact value for money was really very good - the entire weekend including upgraded rooms, two dinner and two lunches came to just £314, and even with a generous amount of wine, prosecco, coffees etc... our bill was still less than £350 each.
There was a wedding on the Saturday evening - we could hear the music quite loudly from our rooms on the 2nd floor ( perhaps they had doors open in the function rooms? ) however the music stopped right on midnight so it wasn't too much of a problem.
The hotel was very busy throughout the weekend but we didn't feel crowded at any point - there were even enough beds around the pool.
As a group we regularly stay at spa hotels in the UK so we're not easily impressed but we all agreed we'd like to return to Sopwell House.

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your fantastic five star review of Sopwell House which was even more rewarding considering that this was your first visit to us.

Your review was a pleasure to read and I am so pleased we were able to impress you and your friends enough to exceed your expectations.

Thank you also for your comments on an additional relaxation room and I am pleased to confirm that we have just secured planning permission to make this a reality early in the new year and so I do hope you will return and let us know what you think.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience and we look forward to warmly welcoming you back in the near future.

Best wishes

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I made a day trip to the spa at Sopwell House with five friends to celebrate a birthday and absolutely loved it. The facilities were luxurious and relaxing and we loved the fact that there was nice outdoor space to sit and catch up in the sunshine, too. The staff were so polite and really couldn't do enough to help us out and make us feel at home. The tour that they gave at the beginning of our trip also really helped us get our bearings. The birthday girl had a 30 min massage and said that the therapist did a really good job and soothed out all her aches and pains even in the relatively short space of time she had. The lunch also comes highly recommended - we were treated to a brilliant buffet with plenty of options to suit us all. We will be returning!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic review of Sopwell House following your friend’s birthday celebration and Spa day.

I am so pleased you all had such an enjoyable day and that the team looked after you so well.

I have also passed on your compliments to the Executive Chef and his team who always love receiving feedback on their passion for providing excellent food for our guests so thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

As an aside, you and your friends may be interested in joining one of our Christmas party nights, details of which are on our website.

We look forward to warmly welcoming you back to the hotel very soon and thank you for choosing Sopwell House.

Best wishes,

Redbourn, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Located close to the town of St Albans and close to the motorway. Sopwell House is an impressive hotel. Plenty of rooms to celebrate, staff very friendly and welcoming. Has the aie of relaxed grandeur. Very busy with a wedding and baby shower. We were there to celebrate x 14 ladies a friends 70th birthday. We were seated in the terrace room for drinks then moved to the restaurant for a buffet lunch. The only thing that seemed a little off putting was a large number of people were lunching in their bath robes from the spa. Overall an impressive place

Room Tip: Just check how busy they are before you book
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your lovely review of Sopwell House following your friend’s 70th birthday.

I am thrilled you found the hotel impressive and yet relaxing and that you found the staff friendly and welcoming which is always our aim.

I note your feedback on our guests in robes and thought you might like to know for future visits that whilst we do allow Spa guests to wear robes in our more relaxed Brasserie and Terrace Bar, these are not permitted in our Cocktail Bar or in The Restaurant.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope we can warmly welcoming you and your friends back to Sopwell House in the very near future.

Kindest regards

Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
#9 of 10 in St. Albans

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!