“The Spa at Sopwell House”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St. Albans
Italy
“The Spa at Sopwell House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I am very low maintenance and so when it comes to Spa treatments, massages etc. I am a reluctant customer. My family wanted to say thank you to me, so off I went for a treat, full massage and cream tea. Fluffy white bathrobe and towels, initially I felt like a small girl learning the ropes at infant school, but the staff and clients were so friendly and helpful, it was great fun. So much so I booked for the following week.

My only criticism is that although the cream tea is booked in advance for a specific time, on both occasions there was a delay in serving it to me. The first time 45 minutes the second almost 20 minutes. Now I know this I will plan ahead. It only matters if you have to leave at a certain time. I could have stayed for a week!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your lovely review of Sopwell House.

Whilst I was thrilled to read your experience with us has converted you from a reluctant customer to one that could have stayed a week, I was also disappointed to learn you had a delay for your Afternoon Tea and may I apologise for any inconvenience this caused.

I have passed your feedback on to my Food & Beverage team for immediate corrective action and so I thank you for brining this to my attention.

In the meantime, I am glad you had great fun with our Spa team and I sincerely hope you will now treat yourself on a regular basis – I can highly recommend it!

Alessandro Convertino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed as part of a girlie weekend away and absolutely could not fault our experience. As spa packages go, this is slightly more expensive than others I have been on, but worth it for a very luxurious experience. The hotel is lovely and rooms are spacious and have air con and good power showers. The hair dryers in rooms are a bit naff - bring your own or use the spa ones. The spa is gorgeous but Fairly busy and children can use the pool late afternoon/Sundays which some might not like. Lots of loungers though and plenty of outdoor space. We had inclusive treatments and I think the quality was very high - they have been (in my experience) a bit rushed but my therapist was wonderful and my 2 mini treatments were carefully placed back-to-back so I felt like I had a full body massage.
As part of our deal we had dinner, breakfast and a sumptuous lunch. The food is fantastic. Waiting staff can be a bit slow with drinks etc but it was busy and the Guest Service Manager looking after our table was charming and very attentive - loving a bit of Northern Charm. Overall the venue cannot be faulted. A number of weddings took place over the weekend and it was slightly strange to wander about in my gown passing the wedding party but it simply adds to the party atmosphere.
The hotel is good at what it does - though check-in was a bit hairy as we'd paid under one name 4 rooms.
Staff were generally attentive and smiley and the spa staff were lovely. I would love to stay here again - perhaps it could be an annual reunion?

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest

It was with great pleasure I read your wonderful review of Sopwell House following your recent weekend away.

A faultless experience is most definitely what we strive for so thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am delighted you enjoyed the food and your table host sounds very much like our very charming and popular Tony who is well known for being attentive so I am glad this didn’t go unnoticed. I will ensure I pass on your favourable comments to him and all the staff.

In the meantime, I hope you won’t leave it a full year before you return – we would love to see you much sooner.

Essex UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just back from staying Saturday night at Sopwell House. Have stayed several times before but not for many years. We were kindly upgraded to an Executive room which was really lovely and luxurious. We spent the evening at Hatfield House for the Battle Proms, an excellent event and the journey back to Sopwell was quick and easy.

The bed was enormous with really great pillows. The bathroom has everything you need, including an illuminated magnifying mirror.

We had breakfast in the Brasserie, which was extremely busy and very noisy (lots of families with children). The staff coped very well with the numbers of people. The food was very good with a great choice - smoked salmon and scrambled egg is my favourite. The fresh strawberries were really tasty too.

We then went to the pool for a swim. I think the pool has had a re-furb since our last visit and is very attractive with quality loungers. It too was very busy and noisy, but eventually emptied out and became more of a relaxing environment.

Lunch was in the restaurant to celebrate my husband's 60th. The food was very good, particularly my tuna starter. Sadly the old Magnolia tree has gone but the restaurant is still very stylish and relaxing. The pianist playing in the foyer was an added bonus.

All staff without exception were extremely pleasant, helpful and professional, especially the receptionist who booked us in and checked us out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous review and welcome back to Sopwell House!

May I firstly take this opportunity to wish your husband a belated Happy 60th Birthday and I am so thrilled you chose to spend it here with us.

Yes, there are been some substantial improvements since your last visit with a considerable amount of refurbishment including a lovely new luxury Spa area and pool, our public areas and many of our bedrooms and so I am pleased you enjoyed them

Sadly we had no choice but to remove the lovely Magnolia tree from the Restaurant but I hope you agree our gardens are looking as stunning as always, particularly now while in full bloom.

Thank you also for your feedback on the food which our Executive Chef, James Chapman has shared with his team and in particular for the comments about our staff. They are always so rewarding.

I hope you won’t leave it too long this time before you next return and we will be waiting to warmly welcome you back again.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I have just come back from our delightful four night stay at Sopwell House - it wasn't long enough!!
Although there are mixed reviews for here, I guess you can't please everyone.
Our room was a superior double and was fully air conditioned. The room was well maintained, lovely comfortable bed, large enough bathroom and much needed blackout curtains. The T.V was up to date, there was adequate teas/ coffees/ herbal teas with the tea pot!! The room was spotless, the bathroom clean and lovely toiletries.
Our champers, chocolate and flowers which we paid a little extra for wee waiting for us on the table, and the flower were gorgeous as were the chocolates and the little sip of champers I had was nice too - and it was one of their priciest!
Breakfast: Massive selection of which was constantly replaced if they ran out. We choose to have breakfast a little later on about 9.20 and there was still loads to choose from and everything looked fresh - not as though it had been left out all morning, and we had hot weather the Brasserie was fully air con throughout.
Lunch - In the Brasserie, buffett style, lots to choose from, replaced once they had run out food was lovely, waitresses and waiters where all very friendly and polite.
Dinner: Only ate in the Brasserie, seated quickly, evening staff very pleasant and know what they're doing, asked us for our drinks order virtually straight away which I much prefer rather than waiting for ever, food turn around was quick, not too much time in between but not too little, we didn't feel rushed at any stage and they were on hand with the bill once we asked. All in all the food is lovely, the service is great and all staff are friendly.
Spa: didn't have treatment but perhaps next time!! Gym was well equipped airy, spacious and cool.
Swimming Pool is perfect size, there's a few loungers inside dotted around didn't use Sauna etc as am pregnant but would use if we can again.
Outside with the sun loungers are perfect for a bit of afternoon sunbathing, nice and peaceful, although you're not allowed to reserve the chairs I think a few had been but not a problem.
We didn't use the bar or cocktail lounge etc - too many temptations of alcohol when pregnant but we looked inside and they looked lovely and inviting.
The outside is also perfect to wander around on the well maintained grass, we actually believed we were abroad at one stage as the areas to sit outside is wonderful and the weather was very kind to us. You can be served from the comfort of your chair outside and they bring the bill and change. You could easily sit outside all day in the peace and quiet.
Reception staff were very friendly, always saying good morning, good eve etc, easy check in was also asked if we had been to St Albans before and as we hadn't were given a map of the areas etc, easy check out, there is also a Porter service and lift if you are situated on the first or second floor.
Room Service is efficient - a little pricey but we didn't care!!
Only about 5 mins drive if that to local town, plenty of little shops dotted around
No problems with our stay and we can't wait to come back - perhaps with a baby in tow!!!

Room Tip: Choose a superior double, air con and spacious we had Room 123 not too far away nice little walk to...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Wow! Tthank you for your superb review of Sopwell House following your mini break with your husband and may I firstly take the opportunity to congratulate you both on your pending arrival!

Your review was simply a joy to read from start to finish and reflected everything we strive for here at Sopwell House on a daily basis.

Whilst I can’t promise to deliver on the weather on your next visit, I can promise the grounds will be just as beautiful. We are very lucky to be in such a tranquil location and close to the historic city of St Albans.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and I am very much looking forward to warmly welcoming the ‘three’ of you back to Sopwell House, at which time I hope you can also make full use of our luxurious spa facilities.

Stowmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel offers a great place to relax aswell as providing fantastic conferences and events facilities. I spent a week here on business and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The spa and gym was a lovely addition alongside a well run, modern and inviting hotel. Business guests mixed well with leisure guests and I couldn't fault the service. All staff members were very polite, helpful and available to assist when needed. Nothing was too much trouble. I'm looking forward to going back in December. If you get the chance to try this hotel I'd highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Go for the Executive suite if you can they're beautiful and have a small balcony but standard ro...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous five star review of Sopwell House.

It is not often we get reviews of our conference facilities so I appreciate you taking the time to feedback on your overall experience as a business guest, particularly as we were your home for a week!

I am also always very proud to receive feedback on service and so thank you for your very rewarding comments – they are always welcomed by the team who work hard to exceed guest expectations.

We look forward to seeing you again in December, if not before.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Having read reviews about the spa being really busy at weekends I booked for the Sunday and Monday at the end of June for my mums 60th Birthday, I was immediately relieved upon arrival that too busy was not the case! Very relaxing stay all round, lovely room, very clean bathroom the spa treatments (facial and back massage) were great value and started and finished on time no rush or delays, all of the 3 meals we had in the brasserie restaurant were fabulous, the best buffet I have had I do believe!! The gym was well equipt the weather was nice so we were able to sunbathe in the garden/terrace and all the staff were exceptionally helpful, happy and informative. My mum had a wonderful time and thats all I could wish for I would highly recommend the spa break to anyone and we did so whilst there to 2 girls checking it out and I saw them booking as we left, Good job Sopwell House :)

Room Tip: We didnt spend hardly anytime in the room but we had been given one over looking the garden and it w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Scarah13_13
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fabulous review of Sopwell House and I am delighted both you and your mother had such a wonderful and relaxing time, particularly on such a special occasion.

Thank you for also taking the time to feedback on the quality of the food which is always valuable and most rewarding for our Executive Chef and his passionate team.

I am delighted you have recommended Sopwell House and I hope we will see you again in the not too distant future.

Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at Sopwell House for one night in July travelling with three adults and two children age 5 and 2 years. This was our first stay at Sopwell. We usually stay at The Grove when in the area to see family, but for just one night this time we thought we would try something new. We booked online; a superior double for two adults and a twin room. Easy enough except we had to call the Hotel direct to clarify whether the £10 charge for an infant meant that they would provide a cot. We arrived to a luke warm and pretty officious reception from behind the desk. If it had not been for the wonderful, Renata, our first impressions of Sopwell would have been a great deal worse. I had spoken to her on the phone the previous day to book a table at the Brasserie. The brasserie was fully booked but she said she would follow up with F and B herself and suggested an alternative solution. True to her word, she was waiting for us to check in, showed us her suggested alternative in the lounge/ bar and arranged for us to order from the Braserie menu. All service above and beyond expectations. Unfortunately, the staff in the Brasserie that she had organised for us to make our order with obviously could not have cared less. And more unfortunate, the food was terrible. The burgers ordered medium were well done, charred and dry; the buns were over toasted and more like biscuits; steak chips and french fries for the kids were cold and soggy; the chicken bhuna was nice but came with the tiniest timbale of rice; the kids pizza was cold. The rooms were fine but a little tired, particularly the twin. Both rooms smelled musty and both bathrooms needed better lighting. Hotel books and menus were dog eared and falling to bits. The table in the twin room was broken. The decor was dated in comparison with the communal areas in the Hotel. The duvets had not been put into the bags properly so all had to be shaken out before they could be comfortably used. Breakfast was fine though pretty basic. Staff were pleasant but not particularly friendly or smiley (the exception being the one chef who was the only one with a smile and any initiative to offer assistance). The gardens are nice and gave the kids a chance to run around and explore. The Mews area is apart from the main Hotel, nicely done with garden and terrace areas and looked like a good option for those who would like to feel like they are renting a separate space with the facilities close at hand. In general, we found it a bit hit and miss, particularly in terms of the staff and level of service (either fabulous or seriously lacking) and we were incredibly disappointed with the quality of the food. We also debated the service charge applied every time you ordered anything, as opposed to applying to your total bill at the end of your stay. All in all, its back to the Grove for us in future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Sopwell House and I am sorry you were disappointed with some elements on this occasion.

I must say, I was very surprised to read your feedback and luckily, the way you described Renata’s exceptional service is more in keeping with that typical of the staff at Sopwell House.

It is also very rare indeed for us to receive poor feedback on the quality of food and I only wish that if this was your experience, you had brought it to the attention of either myself or one of the management team in order for this to be addressed immediately.

Finally we are currently completing the final phase of our refurbishment and I do hope that if you do choose to return to Sopwell House again when you are back in the UK in the future, you will be able to experience one of our fabulously new refurbished rooms – I am confident you will not be disappointed.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Albans
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,682 reviews
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn St Albans City Centre Hotel
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!