We thought we deserved a treat and booked to stay for one night. Our room was absolutely stunning - I think we'd been upgraded somehow as it was huge and with a fantastic, luxurious bathroom. However, the compliments unfortunately end there... This place offers a strange, weird mix of people popping in for a meal or tea fully dressed, whilst others there for a spa break are left feeling uncomfortable walking around in robes and slippers. My hours massage lasted 45 minutes including the time it took for me to get changed before and after, and to make matters worse, following that we thought we'd sit outside and have a coffee, still in our robes only to find ourselves sitting amongst wedding guests in their black-tie and ball-gowns!
Dinner was also a disaster, we had to wait a good 20 minutes before our order was taken and another 30 before the first course arrived - a bottle of wine was given by way of an apology, but really, we felt that was too little too late.
Having had an extortionate lunch in the larger restaurant the day before, we decided to have a lighter snack the next day in the conservatory room, only to find that had been booked for a birthday party and we couldn't go in - we were therefore left with very little option than to have a cream tea in the bar area instead, which again we had to wait what felt like forever to be seated and served. Last but not least there was a mistake on our bill, which was finally rectified by snobby and uninterested reception staff.
It's such a shame, this place has a lot of potential to be a lovely hotel, but advertising themselves as a spa is always going to disappoint anyone booking it for that reason. You just can't have weddings in the same place as people having massages and treatments!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in 12 acres of tranquil gardens Sopwell House is a 4 star hotel in Hertfordshire and the former Georgian country residence of Lord Mountbatten. Once you enter this 'home away from home' our attentive staff, family friendly service and luxurious spa facilities will provide the perfect setting to your stay or event. Our Country House hotel enables you to escape from it all and is within easy reach of London, St Pancras National & International Train Station and Luton Airport. With 128 stylish bedrooms and suites including 16 soon to be completed Mews Apartments to choose from, exceptional service, delicious food and our opulent spa you'll find it hard to leave. As well as boasting 19 flexible function suites, Sopwell House has recently been awarded winner of the 2015 Conde Nast Johansens Awards for Excellence in the category 'Best for Meetings' recognising their outstanding contribution to the corporate and social world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Booking.com, Preferred Hotels, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sopwell House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sopwell House Country Club And Spa
- Sopwell House Country Club Hotel St. Albans
- Sopwell Hotel Country