“New year gala dinner” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St. Albans
“New year gala dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

This was our third attendance at a new year ball at this fab hotel. Again this has not disappointed. We were in a party of 8 and had a wonderful time, we were greater like old friends and asked if we needed help to our room. Having only a suited and overnight bag we refused as we were parked so close to our room. We did order some room service at reception and it was in our room within 15 mins. Our suit was large clean and smelt wonderful. We change and went to the Venetian themed evening. We were treated by polite and helpful staff, provided with a glass of nicely chilled prosecco. Staff constantly moved through the guests with canapés which were very tasty. The live band were superb and played on till 1 in the morning. The food was stunning hot and tasty something very difficult to do for mass catering. Breakfast in the morning was again superb and we were sad to have to leave.

Room Tip: The mews are a delight to stay in.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest

Firstly I am thrilled your New Year got off to such a wonderful start and thank you for taking the time to share your own personal experience at Sopwell House and of course for your loyal custom.

We were absolutely delighted with the feedback we received from our New Years Eve events this year and as the team worked extremely hard in ensuring all our guests had a most special and memorable evening, it is extremely rewarding to receive such a wonderful review.

I hope you plan to return again next year and of course some time in between.

Thank you again and we look forward to being of service again during 2013.

Warm regards

Alessandro Convertino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Watford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Brassiere Manager Terry and his team were very helpful and welcoming to my family at a recent 50th Birthday Luncheon celebration. We had a nice secluded area and the service was very good. Being December and there being some 20 of us, I was a bit anxious, but I need not have worried and we had a lovely meal and time. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Issy M
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review and I am delighted the team here at Sopwell House helped make your birthday extra special.

It is always an absolute pleasure to receive good feedback and genuine appreciation and rest assured I have passed your comments on to the Food & Beverage team in particular.

I hope you won’t leave it until next year’s celebration to visit us again.

Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to write and share your experience and may I take this opportunity to wish you a belated Happy 50th Birthday.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed on 25th December, overnight with my wife and son as and my daughters treat for the Christmas period. Our room was 247 and Son’s room was 245. Room 245 is bit small however hotel had a Christmas package from 24th and I believe good rooms has gone to those packages.

We had breakfast (Brasserie) at the hotel and had snack in Terrace Bar &Lounge. We find The Brasserie & Terrace Bar staff was very friendly.

In short, this is actually a really good hotel with beautiful surroundings. We're definitely looking forward to returning as soon as we are able to.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your lovely review and I am so glad you chose Sopwell House to enjoy part of the festive period with your family.

We thoroughly enjoyed delivering all the Christmas festivities to all our guests and so I do hope you will return again next year for an extended stay - if not before!

Thank you again and I wish you a happy and bright 2013.

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Just got back today from a two day spa break at Sopwell House. This was our first visit and we came for a relaxing break prior to the Xmas madness! The Hotel itself is lovely with helpful staff and beautiful surroundings. We were lucky enough to be staying in a junior suite which was very comfortable.

Sadly we found the spa a complete let down. My friend and I had two treatments each, one booked for Thursday and one booked for today. Both days the spa staff completely mucked up our bookings and I'm afraid to say that we have come away feeling that we did not have a relaxing stay at all.

Our thanks go to Nicola who went out of her way to try and sort things out for us. But for her we would have come away thinking that the whole spa staff could not have cared less. Thank you Nicola for going the extra mile by reimbursing us the cost of the two treatments we were unable to have and for organising a very nice glass of wine for our lunch.

We feel that the spa staff are unhelpful and unfriendly (Nicola apart of course). The therapists are very good but it is the spa reception staff that is the problem.

To sum up this is a lovely hotel, with lovely rooms and beautiful grounds and great food. But if you want a spa break I would look elsewhere. The rating I have given is for the hotel only.

2 Thank Linda R
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review following your two day spa break at Sopwell House.

Whilst I was pleased to read your very positive and complimentary comments about the hotel, helpful staff, therapists and facilities, I was very surprised your experience with the Spa Reception team did not live up to the high expectations we so pride ourselves on delivering and therefore I apologise if we let you down on this occasion. I am glad Nicola was able to look after you so well and I have passed on your thanks to her personally.

I do hope you will not allow this isolated incident to deter you from returning to Sopwell House in the future and I would be grateful if you could let either Nicola or myself know if or when you plan to return.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Having attended a wedding at Sopwell House a couple of years ago we decided to return for a relaxing weekend away. We chose a 2 night break including dinner and it soon became clear that due to the large number of 1 and 2 night deals on offer the hotel was running near to full occupancy. Unfortunately this did affect our stay. The spa area was constantly full of guests meaning getting a lounger, let alone some peace and quiet was difficult. Dinner in the brasserie was a busy affair which created a good buzz about the room but meant the staff were struggling to keep up. Then breakfast on the Sunday morning was hectic and the staff (trying their best at all times it must be said) were overworked and harrassed leading to waits for food and drinks. More staff are needed and much better systems put in place by the management when the hotel is this busy.
The positives: the food, which was very good at all times. The spa area which has been refurbished to a high standard with a larger pool than most hotels of this size. In addition the brasserie, restaurant and terrace bar all look the part. Lastly the outlook from our room which was beautiful.
The negatives: How the hotel feels when busy which is not condusive to a relaxing stay at a country house hotel. The rooms themselves also need a little attention compared with the rest of the hotel. In addition when we checked in to our room at check in time, 3pm, the hotel corridors were full of trays and rubbish bags which hadnt yet been cleared away. Never a good first impression and another sign that the staff were struggling to keep up.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan F
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your review following your recent stay, particularly as you have visited Sopwell House in the past.

I was disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations in all areas on this occasion but was encouraged that you seemed to thoroughly enjoy many aspects despite the hotel being particularly busy.

Your feedback is vital in ensuring we continue to review our service and make improvements where necessary and I have instigated corrective action based on your comments.

I am also pleased to confirm that some of our bedrooms are currently being refurbished and these should be complete by the end of February. I do hope you will visit us again in the not too distant future and let us know what you think.

In the meantime, thank you again for taking the time to write and I look forward to warmly welcoming you back to Sopwell House.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

The spa day and treatments were absolutely wonderful and the staff that worked in the spa were great, and very professional. However the staff that worked in the bar and restaurant were TERRIBLE!! One of them didn't even speak English, which proved very difficult when asking for a glass of water. Another foreign girl told us we couldn't pay for our drinks at the end of the day because it made life more difficult for her! We had to get up from our drinks go back to the changing room to get our wallets (because we were in the spa dressing gowns) and then return to pay for our drinks, go back to the changing room to return our wallets and then finally returned to enjoy our drinks!
The showers in the spa had mould around the grouting which was quite gross :(
The lunch buffet was FANTASTIC and you couldn't fault the food one bit. Its such a shame that the restaurant/bar staff aren't as well trained as they should be.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BessieT1
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your constructive review of your recent visit to Sopwell House and I am delighted you thoroughly enjoyed our lovely Spa and had such high praise for the quality of food. The team are always thrilled to receive such positive feedback.

I was however very disappointed to learn of the difficulties you faced from the staff in the Bar/Restaurant and I can confirm we have taken the necessary corrective action and so thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention.

I am confident we will exceed your expectations on your next visit and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thank you once again for your review.

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Sopwell House is set in the country side of St Albans and is a mix of older buildings, pleasantly refurbished with newer sections. It seems to have remained fairly true to the classic country hotel style with floral and stripey furnishings and the occassional art work. It is set about five minutes drive from St Albans and has plenty of parking. There is a very welcoming and well decorated Foyer and the staff are attentive. The cocktail bar is particulary nice, looking much like a library with lots of comfy chairs, although its not cheap! The hotel has a gym, pool and spa, which I never got chance to use but were told by colleagues they were all very good. Breakfast is buffet style and has lots of nice touches.

The room itself was reasonably large with everything you would expect, plus a writing desk and two large comfy chairs. It did seem to be suffering from excessive cushioning but I think we can overlook that! The night was quiet and bed was comfortable.

All in all a pleasant hotel and pretty much what you would expect.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Skizz1471
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your lovely review of Sopwell House.

We have indeed worked hard during our refurbishment to keep the country house character coupled with modern facilities and I am so pleased that you like it.

I was also delighted to read the team were attentive and I will ensure they receive your invaluable feedback.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write and I hope you can return soon to enjoy the rest of the facilities at your leisure.

In the meantime, I wish you a wonderful festive period.

Kind regards

Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
De Vere Hunton Park
De Vere Hunton Park
#1 of 1 in Hunton Bridge

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!