“NOT ENOUGH STAFF”

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in St. Albans
“NOT ENOUGH STAFF”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed here for a wonderful wedding! Which went really well. My issue was the fact that they only had 2 people serving a room of more than 100 people for drinks, so we were having to que for ages, not what you expect at a private function and not when you pay these prices!
What topped it for me was the fact I had just picked my mother up from a 30 hr flight from New Zealand and all she wanted was some toast. I tried the room service line, no answer, then the reception after 8 mins picked up and hen put me again through to room service where there was no answer! She knew I had waited already so why could she have not offered to take my order, not 5 star treatment! Order arrived after 1 hour!!!! Then with no butter! I could bear he thought of calling back for more! These simple basics should just not happen here! I think this place is over rated!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Kewegirlnz
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for our recent posting on Trip Advisor and I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay, although I was pleased to hear the wedding went well.

I am always unhappy to hear when the service provided by the team has not met our customer expectations and I will follow up with the team on the matters you raised, as I find them completely unacceptable.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to Sopwell House in the future, and thank you again for your feedback.

Alessandro Convertino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

I cannot believe this is a 5* hotel.

Twice as many guests were booked into/had access to the spa than capacity allowed for, which meant that many guests were left without a locker for their belongings and most had no lounger around the pool, which is simply unacceptable when you've paid £79 for a day pass.

The food was fine, though certainly not 5* quality.

The steam room was unclean, as were the loos by mid-afternoon.

The final straw was the huge queue at the lounge bar due to only one member of staff serving, despite the hotel being packed with a wedding, a birthday party and several hen party groups to boot.

I will never return to this hotel and feel completely ripped off after paying so much for so little.

The only saving grace was Tony, the restaurant manager, who was eventually courteous and attentive, why was a complete anomaly among the other staff members who were miserable and unbelievably disorganised, to say the least.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Clare B B
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Sopwell House and in particular your visit to the Country Club & Spa.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit and I have noted the points you have raised, and do realise that this particular day in the spa was very busy indeed. I am always exceptionally disappointed when the service provided has not met our customer expectations, and I would very much like to liaise with you personally, if you would be so kind as to contact me at the Hotel.

I do hope to hear from you in the near future, and thank you for taking time to post your response for Sopwell House.

Alessandro Convertino
London
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We held our wedding at Sopwell House on 2nd Sept 2012 and I can honestly say that it could not have been more perfect. The staff were incredible, mainly Zak Welch who helped with every finer detail. From the moment Zak started looking after our wedding we knew we were in safe hands, he went above and beyond that of a wedding coordinator. We were also introduced to the Owner and General Manager who made us feel very welcome and invited us to come back, which we defiantly will!

I stayed in one of the beautiful apartments the night before the wedding with my sister which was perfect for me and the bridesmaids to get ready in. Both the ceremony and the wedding breakfast was held in the St Albans Suite which is a beautiful grand room that was perfect for our 150 guests. All of our guests commented on how lovely the food was, some said "the best wedding food we have ever had", my husband trained as a chef so the food was very important to us and we were very happy with it.

Many of our guests stayed so the following day we had breakfast together and then a few of us used the spa facilities, once everyone else left my husband and I had lunch and spent the afternoon wandering around the beautiful grounds, it was the perfect end to our perfect weekend.

I can truly say that from start to finish Sopwell House was our dream wedding venue, it excelled all of our expectations and was made even more special by the wonderful service we received

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Where can I begin?

I got married at Sopwell House on the 2nd of September and everything was perfect.

I will start with the star of the Sopwell show. Zak; he has an answer for every question or a promise to find out any information you need and he always delivered on his promises.

An example of where we probably could have been told to bugger off was at our food tasting. We wanted to bring together a couple of dishes from those we tried and he arranged a second tasting for us to see 'our' dish. It wasn’t as expected but after a quick trip to the kitchen he assured us that it would be exactly as it should be on the day and again, he duly delivered…again!

He handled my then Fiancés questions and emails regarding the finer details with absolute professionalism and ensured that her mind was at ease on our big day. We visited on a number of occasions leading up to the big day and Zak was there for them all even staying until 11pm one night when we had a lot to go through.

Our wedding was my no means going to be Sopwell House's biggest earner of the year but we were really made to feel like it was. Namely, by Zak.

Onto the rest of the staff at the wedding, even a month later I can remember the names of 3 managers from the day of the wedding - Jaroslav, David and Ludovic who came and introduced themselves on a previous visit to say they would be there on the day to make everything run to plan and that they did. Anything we needed was done in minutes.

I didnt even mind paying Jenny in finance the final balance the day after the wedding because even she made the experience wonderful and i really don' tlike handing over thousands of pounds!

The wedding breakfast were perfect, better than most wedding meals I have had, really top class food.

The rooms are being upgraded at the moment and it is probably a little bit before it became essential so credit to the hotel for that. We stayed in one of the outside apartments which is spacious and smart.

We had 30 other guests stay the night of the wedding and each of them had a perfectly enjoyable stay also.

We cannot praise the venue enough and look forward to going back on numerous occasions in the future to celebrate anniversaries and I am sure any other occasion we can think of to get back to 'our hotel'.

I would go on all day about how perfect the whole experience was but I think that is enough.

A huge thank you to all at Sopwell House.

Michael

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Perfect if you want to get out of the hustle & bustle of the big city, or just away for a quick break to recharge the batteries.

Beautiful setting & hotel. Really helpful, friendly staff. Good food & nice terrace overlooking the gardens. High standard fitness centre & equipment (which can be very hard to find & is often mis-sold by hotels). The Spa is one of the most stunning I've visited - Art Deco/ Japanese style pool with lovely views & bright even on cloudy days. The attention to detail has really been thought about.

Rooms are nice & modern / country chic. I'm really picky with these things - favouring Malmaison boutique style vs old school hotels & this certainly isn't dated.

Food wise, the only thing I would say is it would be great if they could have more vegetarian options on the menu (I'm not veggie but my fiance is). Would be good for next time. However, we stayed for 2 nights & the second night we took a 5 minute drive to the centre of St Albans (charming & classy town) & visited a lovely Italian restaurant - so all was well.

Honestly cannot recommend highly enough. Oh & to the reviewer who said it was haunted, the building is old, and definitely has character which adds to the stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Weybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We have just returned after staying at Sopwell House over the weekend and can only have the highest praise for Sopwell House and in particular the management. The room was excellent , clean and modern, as expected at a top class retreat.The service we received at Sopwell House was just excellent from the Spa to the restaurant and the bars.Sopwell House is located in a beautiful location and to have the stay further complimented by great service, room and meals just made our stay that very special.

We had stayed at Sopwell house previously in the past but our recent experience was special. Sopwell House definately has become a premier retreat for the best. We were so impressed with the room , spa facilities, food and service on our return visit that we can only attribute the massive improvements down to better management. Our highest praise must be directed to the Manager Mr Alessandro Conventino and his team. We are definately returning to Sopwell House in the future and look forward.

Sopwell House is a great place to visit and we strongly recommend anyone thinking about visiting to book it you will not regret and will have a great stay.The location is special and as mentioned earlier Sopwell House now also has great management in place.

Room Tip: Make sure you make use of the Spa facilities Great treatment. Also spend time absorbing the lovely s...