“Our perfect wedding day” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St. Albans
London
“Our perfect wedding day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We held our wedding at Sopwell House on 2nd Sept 2012 and I can honestly say that it could not have been more perfect. The staff were incredible, mainly Zak Welch who helped with every finer detail. From the moment Zak started looking after our wedding we knew we were in safe hands, he went above and beyond that of a wedding coordinator. We were also introduced to the Owner and General Manager who made us feel very welcome and invited us to come back, which we defiantly will!

I stayed in one of the beautiful apartments the night before the wedding with my sister which was perfect for me and the bridesmaids to get ready in. Both the ceremony and the wedding breakfast was held in the St Albans Suite which is a beautiful grand room that was perfect for our 150 guests. All of our guests commented on how lovely the food was, some said "the best wedding food we have ever had", my husband trained as a chef so the food was very important to us and we were very happy with it.

Many of our guests stayed so the following day we had breakfast together and then a few of us used the spa facilities, once everyone else left my husband and I had lunch and spent the afternoon wandering around the beautiful grounds, it was the perfect end to our perfect weekend.

I can truly say that from start to finish Sopwell House was our dream wedding venue, it excelled all of our expectations and was made even more special by the wonderful service we received

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Where can I begin?

I got married at Sopwell House on the 2nd of September and everything was perfect.

I will start with the star of the Sopwell show. Zak; he has an answer for every question or a promise to find out any information you need and he always delivered on his promises.

An example of where we probably could have been told to bugger off was at our food tasting. We wanted to bring together a couple of dishes from those we tried and he arranged a second tasting for us to see 'our' dish. It wasn’t as expected but after a quick trip to the kitchen he assured us that it would be exactly as it should be on the day and again, he duly delivered…again!

He handled my then Fiancés questions and emails regarding the finer details with absolute professionalism and ensured that her mind was at ease on our big day. We visited on a number of occasions leading up to the big day and Zak was there for them all even staying until 11pm one night when we had a lot to go through.

Our wedding was my no means going to be Sopwell House's biggest earner of the year but we were really made to feel like it was. Namely, by Zak.

Onto the rest of the staff at the wedding, even a month later I can remember the names of 3 managers from the day of the wedding - Jaroslav, David and Ludovic who came and introduced themselves on a previous visit to say they would be there on the day to make everything run to plan and that they did. Anything we needed was done in minutes.

I didnt even mind paying Jenny in finance the final balance the day after the wedding because even she made the experience wonderful and i really don' tlike handing over thousands of pounds!

The wedding breakfast were perfect, better than most wedding meals I have had, really top class food.

The rooms are being upgraded at the moment and it is probably a little bit before it became essential so credit to the hotel for that. We stayed in one of the outside apartments which is spacious and smart.

We had 30 other guests stay the night of the wedding and each of them had a perfectly enjoyable stay also.

We cannot praise the venue enough and look forward to going back on numerous occasions in the future to celebrate anniversaries and I am sure any other occasion we can think of to get back to 'our hotel'.

I would go on all day about how perfect the whole experience was but I think that is enough.

A huge thank you to all at Sopwell House.

Michael

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Perfect if you want to get out of the hustle & bustle of the big city, or just away for a quick break to recharge the batteries.

Beautiful setting & hotel. Really helpful, friendly staff. Good food & nice terrace overlooking the gardens. High standard fitness centre & equipment (which can be very hard to find & is often mis-sold by hotels). The Spa is one of the most stunning I've visited - Art Deco/ Japanese style pool with lovely views & bright even on cloudy days. The attention to detail has really been thought about.

Rooms are nice & modern / country chic. I'm really picky with these things - favouring Malmaison boutique style vs old school hotels & this certainly isn't dated.

Food wise, the only thing I would say is it would be great if they could have more vegetarian options on the menu (I'm not veggie but my fiance is). Would be good for next time. However, we stayed for 2 nights & the second night we took a 5 minute drive to the centre of St Albans (charming & classy town) & visited a lovely Italian restaurant - so all was well.

Honestly cannot recommend highly enough. Oh & to the reviewer who said it was haunted, the building is old, and definitely has character which adds to the stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Weybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We have just returned after staying at Sopwell House over the weekend and can only have the highest praise for Sopwell House and in particular the management. The room was excellent , clean and modern, as expected at a top class retreat.The service we received at Sopwell House was just excellent from the Spa to the restaurant and the bars.Sopwell House is located in a beautiful location and to have the stay further complimented by great service, room and meals just made our stay that very special.

We had stayed at Sopwell house previously in the past but our recent experience was special. Sopwell House definately has become a premier retreat for the best. We were so impressed with the room , spa facilities, food and service on our return visit that we can only attribute the massive improvements down to better management. Our highest praise must be directed to the Manager Mr Alessandro Conventino and his team. We are definately returning to Sopwell House in the future and look forward.

Sopwell House is a great place to visit and we strongly recommend anyone thinking about visiting to book it you will not regret and will have a great stay.The location is special and as mentioned earlier Sopwell House now also has great management in place.

Room Tip: Make sure you make use of the Spa facilities Great treatment. Also spend time absorbing the lovely s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I'd like to start by saying i don't normally write reviews for this sort of thing, however after reading some of the reviews i felt i should! We had an amazing experience with Sopwell from start to finish! Zak was our first port of call, he made sure my sisters 40th birthday went with a bang! He was very attentive to detail! All of my family members etc had an amazing time, we wouldn't hesitate to re-book another event here! The building and grounds are stunning!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

The UK seems to specialise in hotels that could be good and full of character but then are a real let down when you stay there. Sopwell House has many of the attributes to be a great value hotel with charm and character. It is very well located just outside London, the original house is attractive and the spa and pool have been added on sympathetically and the facilities are good. Even wifi is free and full strength wherever you go. The food was by and large well presented and tasty and the staff helpful and friendly. It is a bit odd to be looking onto the pool when having breakfast as the wobbling flesh of the clientele is not necessarily the most appetising. However, why I rate this poor is that my room (114) was so bland and spartan. It had all the character of a care home and felt like they had run out of furniture and decorations by the time they got to it. A small TV, few channels, basic furniture, and temperature control that was erratic at best. And a bed that was so uncomfortable I can only assume the hotel got the matress second-hand many years ago and topped off with a thin and scraggy duvet. Such a shame.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MetalPigeon
Bovingdon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I am absolutely disgusted with Sopwell House! Me and my Fiancé were looking at Sopwell as a possible wedding venue so we booked an appointment to view. It didn't get off to a great start... We arrived to look around the venue only to be told that there was no recollection of our appointment, we then had to wait for almost an hour before being shown around. In fairness the tour was great, Zak (the wedding coordinator) told us all the right things and really sold it to us, but unfortunately that's when all the problems started.

We put a provisional hold on a date for next year. From then on we were shoved from pillar to post and could never get a straight answer out of anyone. We were constantly being told different things by different people in the events department. The time then came to put down a deposit. One person told me they could take bank details over the phone, the next told me we would have to sign a contract before paying the deposit. The contract was meant to have arrived via email at the beginning of the next week... it didn't arrive until the Thursday which was when I noticed that they were trying to charge us an extra £2000 on top of what had been discussed. When I queried this amount I got through to a very condescending Frances who informed me that there was a room hire charge of £2000 throughout the year. Zak at the meeting had told us that as long as we hit the minimum numbers of 100 then this charge would not be applicable. We also discussed the dates that we would have liked and again no mention of a charge for the wedding breakfast room was mentioned.

We asked them to waive the charge as based on what Zak had told both me and my Fiance, we felt it was very unfair of them to add this extra cost on... The response we got, was that they didn't state that they was no room hire charge and that minimum numbers for that suite was 160 so the charge would have been applicable anyway

Sopwell House have made the preliminary stages of planning our dream wedding very upsetting and stressful. We have subsequently had to cancel our registrar and begin the search again.

If you would like to hold your wedding with a hotel that makes their costing up as they go along and has unorganised event planners then Sopwell is for you, however if you are looking for somewhere that treats you with respect and gives you the attention to detail you would hope for from a venue then i'd recommend to look elsewhere because you will not get this at Sopwell House!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Josie M
Alessandro C, Director of Sales at Sopwell House, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent experience. I would very much like to take this opportunity to re-assure you that the team at Sopwell take great pride and care in meeting all our customer’s expectations. Unfortunately your posting on Trip Advisor was the first opportunity that we as a management team were given to address the situation and I would like to express our huge disappointment of finding out about your unhappiness with regards to your initial wedding planning stages in this manner as this has not given Sopwell House a fair chance to deal with the mentioned issues in a constructive and resolving way.
We are of course deeply disappointed to hear your feedback and upon reading your report in great detail a full investigation was initiated by me with my team .
As with every wedding enquiry we would have given you our full wedding brochure which clearly stipulates our terms and conditions with regards to room hires and where applicable ceremony hire. Although I appreciate there was a lack in consistency in dealing with your enquiry in terms of various team members getting involved at the early stages our stipulation of our room hire for our largest room is very clear and concise and I find it therefore very hard to understand why the wedding contract content came as such a surprise. At the time of enquiry however we were not provided with an exact date. Later on in the process you then requested a Saturday in August, which I am sure you can appreciate is our busiest time for weddings and the only day of the week we charge a room hire is on a Saturday from 1st April until 31st October and 1st December until 1st January.

I would like to be given an opportunity to try and resolve this situation in a professional and constructive manner. I would therefore like to extend an invitation to you to visit Sopwell House and explore alternative options for your wedding in August next year. The team and I would be delighted to assist you. Our philosophy is very much to meet our customer’s expectations and I am hoping that with this response we can re-open our conversation.

Yours sincerely

Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
De Vere Hunton Park
De Vere Hunton Park
#1 of 1 in Hunton Bridge

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!