Sopwell House
Ardmore House(St. Albans)
$103
$90
Clarion Collection Hotel St. Albans(St. Albans)(Great Value!)
$73
$59
$61
$56
Torrington Hall(St. Albans)
$123
$112
St Agnells Farm(St. Albans)
$134
$130
Hotels.com
$173
The White Hart Hotel(St. Albans)(Great Value!)
$127
Travelocity
$78
Fleuchary House No. 29(St. Albans)(Great Value!)
$91
2,516 results
All reviewsspa breakafternoon teacocktail loungefull body massagespa areabreakfast and lunchlovely spaexecutive roomhead butlerterrace barbrasserie restaurantsteam roomspa staffbirthday treatsandwichesrelaxing weekendmy mum
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I'd like to start by saying i don't normally write reviews for this sort of thing, however after reading some of the reviews i felt i should! We had an amazing experience with Sopwell from start to finish! Zak was our first port of call, he made sure my sisters 40th birthday went with a bang! He was very attentive to detail! All of my family members etc had an amazing time, we wouldn't hesitate to re-book another event here! The building and grounds are stunning!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The UK seems to specialise in hotels that could be good and full of character but then are a real let down when you stay there. Sopwell House has many of the attributes to be a great value hotel with charm and character. It is very well located just outside London, the original house is attractive and the spa and pool have been added on sympathetically and the facilities are good. Even wifi is free and full strength wherever you go. The food was by and large well presented and tasty and the staff helpful and friendly. It is a bit odd to be looking onto the pool when having breakfast as the wobbling flesh of the clientele is not necessarily the most appetising. However, why I rate this poor is that my room (114) was so bland and spartan. It had all the character of a care home and felt like they had run out of furniture and decorations by the time they got to it. A small TV, few channels, basic furniture, and temperature control that was erratic at best. And a bed that was so uncomfortable I can only assume the hotel got the matress second-hand many years ago and topped off with a thin and scraggy duvet. Such a shame.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MetalPigeon
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I am absolutely disgusted with Sopwell House! Me and my Fiancé were looking at Sopwell as a possible wedding venue so we booked an appointment to view. It didn't get off to a great start... We arrived to look around the venue only to be told that there was no recollection of our appointment, we then had to wait for almost an hour before being shown around. In fairness the tour was great, Zak (the wedding coordinator) told us all the right things and really sold it to us, but unfortunately that's when all the problems started.

We put a provisional hold on a date for next year. From then on we were shoved from pillar to post and could never get a straight answer out of anyone. We were constantly being told different things by different people in the events department. The time then came to put down a deposit. One person told me they could take bank details over the phone, the next told me we would have to sign a contract before paying the deposit. The contract was meant to have arrived via email at the beginning of the next week... it didn't arrive until the Thursday which was when I noticed that they were trying to charge us an extra £2000 on top of what had been discussed. When I queried this amount I got through to a very condescending Frances who informed me that there was a room hire charge of £2000 throughout the year. Zak at the meeting had told us that as long as we hit the minimum numbers of 100 then this charge would not be applicable. We also discussed the dates that we would have liked and again no mention of a charge for the wedding breakfast room was mentioned.

We asked them to waive the charge as based on what Zak had told both me and my Fiance, we felt it was very unfair of them to add this extra cost on... The response we got, was that they didn't state that they was no room hire charge and that minimum numbers for that suite was 160 so the charge would have been applicable anyway

Sopwell House have made the preliminary stages of planning our dream wedding very upsetting and stressful. We have subsequently had to cancel our registrar and begin the search again.

If you would like to hold your wedding with a hotel that makes their costing up as they go along and has unorganised event planners then Sopwell is for you, however if you are looking for somewhere that treats you with respect and gives you the attention to detail you would hope for from a venue then i'd recommend to look elsewhere because you will not get this at Sopwell House!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Josie M
Alessandro C, Director of Sales at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent experience. I would very much like to take this opportunity to re-assure you that the team at Sopwell take great pride and care in meeting all our customer’s expectations. Unfortunately your posting on Trip Advisor was the first opportunity that we as a management team were given to address the situation and I would like to express our huge disappointment of finding out about your unhappiness with regards to your initial wedding planning stages in this manner as this has not given Sopwell House a fair chance to deal with the mentioned issues in a constructive and resolving way.
We are of course deeply disappointed to hear your feedback and upon reading your report in great detail a full investigation was initiated by me with my team .
As with every wedding enquiry we would have given you our full wedding brochure which clearly stipulates our terms and conditions with regards to room hires and where applicable ceremony hire. Although I appreciate there was a lack in consistency in dealing with your enquiry in terms of various team members getting involved at the early stages our stipulation of our room hire for our largest room is very clear and concise and I find it therefore very hard to understand why the wedding contract content came as such a surprise. At the time of enquiry however we were not provided with an exact date. Later on in the process you then requested a Saturday in August, which I am sure you can appreciate is our busiest time for weddings and the only day of the week we charge a room hire is on a Saturday from 1st April until 31st October and 1st December until 1st January.

I would like to be given an opportunity to try and resolve this situation in a professional and constructive manner. I would therefore like to extend an invitation to you to visit Sopwell House and explore alternative options for your wedding in August next year. The team and I would be delighted to assist you. Our philosophy is very much to meet our customer’s expectations and I am hoping that with this response we can re-open our conversation.

Yours sincerely

Marleen Mason
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed September 21, 2012

My mother and I stayed one night, using the hotel as a base to visit the Harry Potter studio tour. It took us less than 30 minutes to get to Leavesden.
Having read some of the reviews I was apprehensive and our visit didnt start smoothly, as checking in was slow and we were given the incorrect room. However this was sorted out to our satisfaction and the rest of our stay went well.
The room was in need of refurbishment and I understand that this will start in 2013. But the room was lovely and big and it was clean.
We had a meal in the Bistro in the evening. The staff were very attentive and the food was nice (not outstanding - but nothing wrong with it).
The public areas are beautiful. Unfortunately we did not have time to take a tour round the grounds.
So all in all, the mistake was quickly put right, the bewdroom was tired but will be refurbished soon, and the staff were friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive and constructive review of Sopwell House following your recent stay, and I am pleased that we were able to rectify the problem with your room quickly and efficiently.

We appreciate your kind comments, and do hope that you will be able to return to us after the refurbishment and I look forward to hearing from you with your feedback.

Yours sincerely

Alesandro Convertino

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I attended a wedding at Sopwell House last week (Friday 14 2012) and I have to say it was an exceptional venue. A beautiful reception welcomes you to the hotel, with orchids and chandeliers to make things even more special. The wedding was held in one of the civil ceremony rooms. The ceremony itself was so special, with touches of humour throughout putting the bride and groom (and guests!) at ease. Afterwards we had drinks outside in the beautiful gardens. They have a cute little pond with a bridge which was a perfect spot for photos. Then onto the wedding breakfast. The food was lovely! Would definitely recommend this venue for a wedding.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Sopwell House to attend a wedding.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit and thank you for the very kind feedback, which both the team and myself are delighted to read.

I do so hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again and I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Best regards