“Amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Foragers at The Verulam Arms

The Foragers at The Verulam Arms
Ranked #23 of 324 Restaurants in St. Albans
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

“Went with a group of friends for a Christmas meal. Incredibly fresh food. Superb atmosphere. Great service. What a great start to Christmas with your friends.

• Visited December 2012

Groton, Massachusetts
“Still loved but a bit patchy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had dinner here last night and had a lovely evening with excellent service in a quiet but nice space. The food was good but a bit mixed - our starter of whitebait was excellent though I was not that keen on the winter pesto, overall it was super. Our main's were good but the carrot mash (we ordered fillet of trout) was oily and not very nice. It needed some potato or other starch in it to give it a better texture. Similarly would have liked to see a bit more samphire in the samphire butter. Puddings of sticky toffee pudding and chocolate fondant were delicious. As this is the foragers I would like to see more details of where products were sourced - there were no details on last nights menu. This place has the potential to be hugely successful - but it will need to take a step up in terms of consistency (one that it is well capable of making).

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Alan P
London
“Disappointing given the other reviews”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Took my husband out for a birthday meal on Friday evening, Having read the amazing reviews on here I opted to drive him over to this pub so we could try something new. This shows my commitment to trying this place as I am usually the last person to give up wine on an evening out.

Tucked away behind the town centre this is a cosy looking pub with nice decor inside. We were given a somewhat lukewarm welcome by the bartender, but the waitress was very friendly and nice.

Having read the website and the reviews on here we were expecting well-cooked fresh local food. My husband fancied the venison burger. At £16 it was the most expensive item on the menu and we assumed that this price must reflect the fact that it was venison and was going to be a nice rich meaty burger. When it arrived it was a pre-formed disc of what could have been anything, served with no relishes or anything other than some very overcooked chips and salty salad (?). He was massively disappointed.

I ordered a fillet of trout on samphire, with crayfish and potatoes. When it arrived the dish lacked any colour. The samphire was overcooked to grey rather than green, and the potatoes were in a grey mush. Luckily, I thought, I've ordered the side dish of vegetables to go with it. I had to chase this after it did not arrive for a few minutes. When it arrived it did not add any colour at all because it was a dish of slimy leeks and undercooked pale parsnips. Yes these are definitely 'seasonal', but so are many other more colourful vegetables! I like a healthy element to food and this was really just adding more starch to an already starchy meal.

At £53 for 2 dishes and 2 drinks, we did not feel happy after the experience. Especially with the automatic service charge. Perhaps it was because we were comparing it with a meal we recently had in The Cricketers in Redbourn, a similar offering where they did not put a foot wrong on a single one of the (similar) dishes we had as a party of 5. And the samphire was green there.

Fully expect to pay that amount for a meal in a pub if its good enough, £16 for a pre-formed burger is daylight robbery. I'm guessing the location makes them confident they can get away with it. It's a shame because we were really looking forward to it after reading the reviews. Don't know if the chef was off / having an off day that day...

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank soph48
“Nothing to declare:-D”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

I went throu the TripAdd I thou I should treat myself and friends at 1st class..We dropped in at this place..we hand amazing time. All brilliant and great and quite area to relax - nice and sweet waiters - ordered professional ''hot dishes,design and very testful dishes..So nothing at all to add - just 10/10

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Disappointing on last visit for Sunday lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Been before and was very impressed, food and service were excellent. Last time however the food was only average and vegetables were undercooked - disappointing to get a hard roast potato when we'd been looking forward to it. Will probably return to see if it was a blip (owner wasn't there that day) but not in any rush,

1 Thank Sjga