All reviews leisure facilities minute drive superior room plenty of parking marquee rosie oak watford sauna st motorway venue
Reviewed August 26, 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel as we were attending a family wedding. After reading the last few reviews I must say my expectations were pretty low! But I was pleasantly surprised that the rooms were fine, the service was good, particularly at check in and breakfast. Food was very good, at the bar and the wedding hog roast and the breakfast. And I had no complaints. There was a fire alarm in the middle of the night but assume that doesn't happen every night!!

Trip type: Traveled with family
BobBowry, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2017

Hi Helen,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of the hotel. It is very much appreciated as we have had a few difficult comments recently and i know this has not been a fair reflection of the hotel and the standards and service it provides so your comments really are appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again very soon.

Reviewed August 23, 2017 via mobile

Don't expect a nice quiet night here. The walls are paper thin. Could hear next doors television as well as all the conversations and doors on the nearby rooms.
The bathroom was basic and could do with updating but did supply basic toiletries. It's a very old building and quite quaint with its old wooden benches in corridors and wooden staircase. But I wouldn't be in a hurry to come back. I like to be able to sleep, not hear next door!

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Hi Hayley,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate the newer part of the building has thinner walls and this can be frustrating.
Should you return to the hotel, please as for a room in the older part of the building as there will certainly not be a problem with noise there.

Regards and best wishes

Reviewed August 20, 2017 via mobile

Having stayed in a Mercure Hotel in different locations before we had high expectations of this Hotel. It appears this property has changed hands and is part of the Mercure chain now but not much has been done to it. The room was basic and rather tired looking. The carpet was awful, paint peeling off of bathroom ceiling, bath looked old and grimy. Bed wasn't particularly comfortable. There was a wedding going on which consequently meant banging doors until the early hours. This is something to consider if you are looking for a peaceful night. A lesson learnt that it is a question we need to ask before booking whether there is a function taking place or not. The bar is in the restaurant so no comfortable seating not very relaxing at all. We wouldn't go back because of the standard of the room. It is a character property that needs a fair bit of attention.

Trip type: Traveled with family
BobBowry, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2017

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback. It is very much appreciated.
I just wanted to let you know that the hotel now has new furniture in the bar and in the lounge area.
We really do try to ensure when we have events that we do try and locate guests to the quiet area of the hotel but when the hotel is full, this is obviously difficult to do.
I know the owners have plans to refurbish the hotel in its entirety soon and I confident the points raised will then be rectified.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed August 18, 2017 via mobile

I booked into the mercure hotel for a family wedding and leftvour credit card details to secure the booking as usual .

Sadly , 10 days before we wer'e due to travel i was taken to hospital with heart problems. I was advised not to travel and unfortunately had to cancel the room with 8 days notice.I was imformed that the hotel had already taken the deposit, i was a bit miffed but accepted the position.
When i recieved my bank stetement i saw that the hotel had taken the full amount from me without imforming me. This i challenged and was told that as i had booked through " booking .com" i had no come back and that was that.therefore i rate this hotel as terrible and will never use them again. PLEASE BE WARNED.

1  Thank crisp12345

Hi there,

First of all, I hope that you are feeling a lot better following your recent heart scare.
I can only apologise for the experience you had with your booking.

In all honesty, the message you received seems to be the right message but clearly delivered in the wrong way and I really do apologise for that.
When booking directly with the hotel, we can obviously have total control over payments BUT when booking through a third party, we cannot control what they do, when they take payments etc.
I do apologise and if there is anything you would like me to get involved with to help, I will try but please note that booking.com (in this case) are the ones who have to decide when the process refunds etc.

I just wanted to clear this up in case you have been given any conflicting messages from anyone else.

Regards and best wishes

Reviewed August 1, 2017

This stay was not a good experience and I certainly wouldn't stay here again!

Situated off a busy roundabout, we missed it first time, due to concentrating on the traffic lanes, getting out in the morning wasn't easy either.

At check in we had to wait for the receptionist to finish a very long phone call, another member of staff, walked off and didn't even acknowledge us and no help was offered with cases to negotiate the steep stairs.

There was a strong unpleasant smell of air freshener throughout the corridor and the room, which lingered on our clothes.

The room was small, basic, very tired, the carpet was brown and looked a bit grubby however, the bathroom was reasonably clean and the towels good, although the toilet roll was damp! No USB sockets, no socket by the bed, no air conditioning and the window was restricted opening. All in all not 4 star standard, it was like stepping back in the 80's!

We tried to eat in the hotel, but they had a young man on the bar, who obviously was struggling, he seemed new and had difficulty locating drinks, using the till and keeping on top of things, watching him decap and use four bottles of Britvic lemonade for a shandy was time consuming and ridiculous, but they didn't have any large bottles, or on draft. Everyone who asked the waitress to order food was told 'order at the bar', so the queue was growing and he hadn't kept track of who needed to be served, so people were jumping in left right and centre, I felt for him. After waiting half an hour and then him serving someone else, ignoring me again, I gave up and went into town, had a lovely meal at Luffmans.

The walls are very thin, I could hear the room next door having a pee (yes every sound!) and a group of Chinese students were knocking on each others doors until 2am. The fire alarm went off around 12.30, I went into the corridor and few people were looking concerned, but then it stopped and no one came along to say if it was a false alarm or not, so we all went back inside. After spending some time trying to find the number for reception, it's not on the phone, but on the booklet by the TV, I guessed 0 and tried to phone reception, but there was no reply! Honestly, you couldn't make this up!

It was very hot in the night, so I put the large floor fan on, but it creaked and clicked alarmingly, so then we couldn't sleep. By 4am, I gave up, switched it off and got about three hours sleep.

Breakfast was entertaining, said Chinese students had come to breakfast and each one had brought their huge cases with them, so negotiating to the buffet was like an obstacle course, why weren't they told to leave them in their rooms, or next door?

To be honest, I was glad to leave and get home, only to open our cases and find the cloying smell of air freshener had permanated all our clothes!

I don't like giving poor reviews and often there is some saving grace, but this stay was like a bad comedy! Oh and I did mention the bar thing to reception, but it was quicker to go to town, eat, than wait around.

Room tip: Avoid, if you can.
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank k8tk9
BobBowry, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2017

Hi there,

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Whilst a difficult read, I appreciate your comments and can only apologise for some of the issues you have experienced as I know we are better than the way we came across.
I also wanted to assure you that the comments that you made will be used to ensure that we get better in the areas that are in our direct control...the reception and bar service, the air fragrance (which has already been turned down) and in all honesty the room issues that will be addressed in a refurbishment.
I know this may be a little late for your stay, but as I say, service is really one of the strong points of the hotel so I think it was just one of those nights when the hotel was not at its best which I can only apologise for.