“A lovely friendly and homely place to stay”
Review of 178 London Road

178 London Road
Ranked #11 of 15 St. Albans B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed over a weekend early September 2012 and this was our first visit to St Albans.
The house is well situated within easy walking distance of the town and great to leave the car with plenty of on street parking or in the lane.

After being welcomed into the front door entrance we were shown the back entrance for future use. There was no problem with this as you got to see the lovely garden, which I’m sure we could have enjoyed if we'd had the time, and a bonus of getting to see the lovely kitchen as you go through to the front staircase to the bedrooms. We were requested to remove our shoes at the door which I was ok with as I do this at home and appreciate they want to take care of the lovely cushion feel carpeting. I would like to suggest a shoe shelf nearby the back door for future use, especially for those with walking boots on wet and muddy days.

We stayed in the main house in a beautiful double room above the kitchen. The decor of our room was gorgeous and so many little additions such as an array of books and dvd’s and magazines which I enjoyed the luxury of leafing through over a nice relaxing coffee. Having free and easy access to Wi-Fi is great to ensure that you are still in contact with the ‘real world’ while chillaxing in the luxurious accommodation whilst enjoying a scrumptious breakfast including ‘home made sausages’.

We were warned that our room was above the agar in the kitchen and therefore gets warm. However, even though we were there during the hottest weekend in September on record, we were able to cope comfortably as there was a ceiling fan (which is fabulously silent) and air con which I turned on for an hour but didn’t feel the need for more.

Unfortunately there are no en-suite facilities. Though once you see and use the beautiful bathroom (and it’s directly next door to the bedroom) you don’t mind sharing. There are luxury towelling bath robes available in the bedrooms which make using the bathroom so easy.

The couple were very friendly, welcoming and helpful to anything that we wanted. Yes, I would certainly stay again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Diane B
There are newer reviews for 178 London Road

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed in early August during the Olympics. We were not going to pay over inflated prices for central london so decided to look further afield and choose St Albans as our location. Good rail links to london, there were trains about every 10 mins and reasonably priced (£15 for of peak day return). The location of the property is excellent only 5 - 10 minutes from the railway station and the town centre. Barry and Carol were very welcoming and had good knowledge of the area as well as central london. The room was clean and tidy and the bed was very comfortable (our only negative was that our room was above the aga, so it got rather warm, however there was an air condtioning unit in the room which kept us cool). Room was not ensuite, however bathroom had a old fashioned roll top bath and a lovely big shower, Toweling robes were provided for guest use. breakfasts were first class and always cooked fresh (sausages were best i'd ever had). A wonderful Stay and would stay there again

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ross D
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were hoping to stay in the B&B at London Road, but they were fully booked and as many places were also fully booked, we chose to stay in the self catering apartments at Keyfield Terrace. I was under the impression that we would have a 2 bed apartment to ourselves, when in fact we had one bedroom, while the other bedroom was let out to someone else. This meant that we had to share the bathroom and the kitchen. I don't think it is made very clear on their website. This is what they say... 'Keyfield Terrace contains TWO apartments with independent access, bathroom and kitchen.' Had I known that I would have to share a bathroom, I really wouldn't have chosen this accommodation. Having to wait for someone else to use the bathroom in the morning, wasn't very pleasant.

Pro's....
Great location.
Reasonably priced.
Well stocked kitchen for breakfast.
Free wifi.
Decent TV.
Nice pub - The White Hart Tap - with great garden 10 steps away

Con's
Small room filled with big furniture
Bad mattress - I felt as if I was going to roll off the bed.
Lumpy pillows.
Tidy, but not spotlessly clean.
Thin walls and could hear the people in the kitchen at 8am :(
Shared bathroom
Dodgy shower - sometimes it would go scalding hot to freezing cold
Broken blinds
Entrance at the back, which was hard to navigate at night
Steep stairs

I felt I had to write a review, because it must be made clear to people that you are not alone in the apartment, you will have roommates! It was not my cup of tea, so will not be returning.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ellaweeze
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed in late May 2012 when the weather was warm. The lady of the house liked to keep the Aga in the kitchen going. That would be OK in winter - but not when we stayed. Our room was above the kitchen and the heat generated by the Aga came through the floor and made the room unbearably hot. The floor was so hot you wonder whether a potential fire hazard was in the making. The room had an air conditioner to counter the heat. It was useless so we insisted it was serviced. It was, with an improvement, but the underlying problem remains. So a warning - avoid the bedroom above the kitchen. The internal layout of this place is unusual. You come in thru the kitchen [not the front door] and use narrow stairs to the first floor. Do not arrive with big heavy bags. The single room is worse, with a narrow spiral stair. The single bathroom/toilet does not have opening windows. That said the man of the house was friendly, the breakfasts nice, the place was clean, location convenient etc. Would I stay again - probably not.

Room Tip: Avoid the double room above the kitchen - especially in summer. The back single room has poor access...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We had originally booked into another B&B in St. Albans (we wanted to be close to the Harry Potter exhibit at WB Studio), but when the owner of that B&B had to make an emergency trip to the U.S.A. (for health reasons), she recommended 178 London Road to us. We couldn't have been more happy with her choice.
Our room (well, actually, kind of a mini-suite; it had a small drawing room attached to the bedroom) was at the front of the house, facing a main road, but we were not bothered by noise at all. The bed was comfortable, the room was immaculate, and we couldn't hear anyone else--either the family or the other guests. But when we went down for breakfast, we had no problems finding Carol or Barry, and we had excellent freshly cooked breakfasts each morning.
The location was excellent for our purposes. When we had to check directions from the B&B to WB (I had printed out a set online while in the USA, but I wanted to double-check), Barry got on his computer and got a much simpler route for us. The same thing happened when we had to head off to Heathrow; he checked it out online to find where we would return the rental car when we arrived at the airport.
The on-street parking was a little problematical, as it's on a tiny alley next to the house. When we arrived, though, Barry was thoughtful enough to volunteer to park the rental car right next to the house--a lot closer than I would have done my first time. After this one time, though, I had no difficulty (provided I let my wife get out of the car before I parked it!).
We normally choose an en-suite bathroom when we go to a B&B in the UK, but because our reservation was a bit of a last-minute thing we didn't get that option here. It wasn't a problem, though; we never saw another guest using it when we needed it! The choice of either a tub or a stand-alone shower (which was pretty darn large) was nice, too.
In short, it's a great place to stay just outside of London. I'm not sure if I'd choose it if we were spending all our time in London itself, but for our purposes its location was ideal. We were really happy that we lucked into this B&B.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MacThespian
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed at this B&B in April 2012. The owner were very trusting taking the booking without a deposit as it was booked late, thank you for that. Our stay was very pleasant, we normally stay in hotels and the personal touch was nice. The house and fittings were of a nice quality, very good breakfast and very good value.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ian m
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We came for a 2 night stay in July whilst we visited friends in the area.
This Bed & Breakfast is far better value for money than the larger hotels in the area, and is very comfortable and homely.
Despite our room being at the front where there is a main road, we had the most lovely night's sleep. The bed was extremely comfy and you couldn't hear the rest of the household at all.
The bathroom is communal but this is not a problem, as you never seem to clash with the other guests, and to be honest, we completely fell in love with it's decor. The B&B as a whole is very charmingly decorated, but the bathroom is totally lush.
Fantastic location, as you are only a 5 minute walk into St Albans centre, or a stone's throw from the train station, which is 20 mins to London.
We plan on staying here for all our future trips to St Albans.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple