“Thank You”

Ranked #92 of 345 Restaurants in St. Albans
Cuisines: International, British, Bar, Pub, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The first mention of The Peahen is in 1480, and on the construction of London Road in the 18th Century it was merged with the adjoining pub, The Woolpack. Trading as a hotel, The Peahen was a vital stopping point on the way through to London for tourists and business folk. The original wood building burnt down towards the end of the 19th Century and was rebuilt in its current form as The Peahen Hotel. In 1936 McMullen & Sons Ltd, the family brewers of Hertfordshire established in 1827, came into possession of The Peahen and remain its proud custodians to this day.
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My review is in response to the action taken by the General Manager after my review in October 2013. Immediately after my review was posted the General Manager contacted me to discuss our experience - he spent some time taking details and apologised, he told me that he would investigate, apologised profusely and said he would get back to me as soon as he could. True to his word he got back to me a few days later and explained that he had looked at CCTV, questioned staff and once again apologised and agreed that the incident was totally unacceptable and that he had dealt with the situation. I trusted that he dealt with this as he saw fit and given a full refund of my visit. I will return on my next visit to St Albans and would absolutely recommend the food and surroundings.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

I used to come here all the time but at one point the service was quite poor and the food average but it seems to have redeemed itself. Food we had was very nice and service speedy and knowledgeable. They have a big garden too so ideal on a sunny afternoon. Keep it up.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

We ordered the 6 tapas dishes for £20 deal for 2 of us which we thought might not be enough but we couldnt finish it! All of our choices were really good.
The bar is over 21s only which is good as you dont get loads of youngsters and students making you feel too old! And I am only 30!
Had a good atmosphere without being ridiculously loud. Drinks prices are a bit steep.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

The food and service at The Peahen are pretty good, but not exceptional. The thing that is outstanding about this place is the garden, which on a sunny afternoon makes it the place to be!

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Friday afternoon lunch. Food was awesome. They keep changing the menus and this keeps the excitement levels up! Family was well pleased with the quality of food served. This is not the first time we have visited this place.
Issues: London prices for alcohol (nearly £5 for a pint of Peroni and £6.5 for a Mojito).
Another issue: no under 21s allowed.