“Old Style B&B”
Review of Fern Cottage

Fern Cottage
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Albans
Fern Cottage
Ranked #13 of 15 St. Albans B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Nice place to stay run by Dorothea who is very nice and helpful. It's an old cottage and looks a bit dark and worn. Lots of natural wood and dark varnish. It feels like it needs a good airing and some daylight letting in. I was booked in for 2 weeks but had to cancel the second due to a change of plans.

The bedroom was a good size and the en-suite bathroom very clean and tidy but there is something on every flat surface - if it's not functional it's decorative - so there's not much room for your own kit. Needs a new shower head as well.

Tea and coffee making facilities are provided in the room as well as the worlds smallest fridge, which was handy for keeping a canned drink or two cool.

Reasonably comfortable bed, again the matress was perhaps well used but certainly not the worst I've slept on and the linen was nice and clean. I was unfortunate to stay in very hot weather and the room was warm even with the windows open. A small fan would have been handy.

Service was a bit hit and miss. On my second day I got fresh towels, but not thereafter and I had to make do with the same towel for 4 days. A drinking glass was provided which I used - but then it disappeared, never to return.

Breakfast was self service continental, though a cooked breakfast was available on request. Again, never quite sure what crockery or cutlery was going to be there. One day I had a bowl, spoon and knife but no plate or napkin. All OK though.

Location is good and only 10 miinutes walk to the high street with lots of old buildings and places to eat. I didn't have time to explore much more.

So overall a few minor niggles but this is a great place for a night or two, quite comfortable and overall very clean. I think 'quirky' would be a reasonable way to describe it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed March 4, 2012

Great place, friendly service and bent over backwards to accommodate dog.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Housemate
Reviewed December 18, 2011

I visit dear friends every year in St.Albans. Us 3 chaps (sans wives) have a boys afternoon culminating in a curry. I have stayed over the years in several B&B's In St.Albans to varying degrees of success. Fern Cottage met my high standards. Room spotless and welcoming. Landlady so very sweet. Well done Fern Cottage.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Dominic M
Reviewed December 8, 2011

We recently stayed at Fern cottage as we had a family wedding in St Albans. The room was just what we needed, comfy bed, and clean and cosy ensuite. Our host Dorothea and Basil were very welcoming and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank tassietourer
Reviewed October 29, 2011

was disappointing as I requested per mail at least twice that no air freshner was to be used in our room as I am allergic to it and I was assured tht would be attented to, when we arrived after a 24 hr flight I found 3 lots of air freshner in the room and loo and I just got a shrug from the house keeper when I mentioned my request. I feel the place could do with a thorough spring clean and they would not need air freshners!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2011

myself and my Labrador Alfie had the ground floor twin with en suite and it was comfy, warm, clean and friendly. What more could any man and his dog ask for!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Anthony R
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I have stayed here for 4 nights for the last year as i work away all week and stay in the room mentioned in a review below i think he stayed somewhere else ???? Dorothy is very welcoming and the rooms are very clean and tidy tea and coffee in the room tv radio nice en suite off street parking which is a bonus in St Albans all in all spot on.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business