“Cold restaurant, cold and boring food.”
Review of Samoji Indian Restaurant - CLOSED

Samoji Indian Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 21, 2013

The restaurant was very cold. The waiter said it was not their fault it was due to the old building and cold air getting in through the windows. The plates were cold, the meat dishes were sat over a tea-light but that was not sufficient to keep the food hot in such a cold room; I couldn't finish my main course because the sauce became a cold stodge. The dishes served had identical sauces except the jalfrezi had onions and chillies chopped into it. I've had a one-day Indian cooking course and I could do better myself. I am not surprised that despite being within a week of Christmas there were only two tables occupied.

2  Thank Philip P

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I see it is a couple of years since I last reviewed Samoji. Overall we were happy with our visit there last night but one or two niggles. As other reviewers have noticed it is a bit cold in there and I really feel they should get the heating sorted. The three of us rated the food good to very good. No big problems, but I felt my dish was rather low on meat content and the lamb was a bit tough. Service rather patchy and not refined. They were friendly enough but a bit messy and I would have expected rather slicker service considering if was not too busy. I'd go back there but I think I'd like to see some good reviews on here first. Overall pretty good value at £16.50 per head inc 10% service and I have to say my overall rating is not a consensus with the rest of the family!

1  Thank Graham F
samoji, Manager at Samoji Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Graham F,
Thank you for your review, and sorry to see that you were not satisfy with service. We will improve on service. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 9.15 didn't book but was told table available in 40 mins which it was then the wait began 45 mins to get served the table next to us had the misfortunes of being served by a clumsy waiter who was more worried by his hair and decided to drop a nan bread in a customers lap . Did make us giggle . Food was ok when we eventually got it nothing special . Shame really beautiful settings food very average

samoji, Manager at Samoji Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear SSHeirflick,
Bad food? Average? Not sure? Anyway, thank you for your visit to Samoji, unfortunately we were unable to meet your standards apologies, as you noticed restaurant was full and I agree that there was a delay serving food to your table. We'll improve on our service.
Hope to see you again.
Regards,

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Samoji's is literally a breathe of fresh air. It is so rare to find such an excellent restaurant for Indian food. Additionally, the interior is just lovely and its lovely to sit in. I find it is always such a shame how empty the restaurant is, despite the food being so good@

The service in Samoji's does leave a lot to be desired. The staff are ever so friendly, but I could not agree more the waiting staff are quite honestly on another planet. They seem to speak little English, I asked for tap water for me and my three friends, he came back with one glass of water. I then asked if he could bring glasses for the other three people at the table and he bought back one more glass. Slightly frustrating at times. That is the only thing about Samoji's that really needs improving.

I

8  Thank Emily B
samoji, Manager at Samoji Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Emily B,
Thank you for your nice review, politely informing us to improve, and we will.
Hope to see you soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Over the last few years, living close to the Samoji, it has become one of my favourite restaurants in St Albans and I think it is definitely the best Indian restaurant.

The food is of an excellent standard and presentation is extremely fresh and vibrant. The restaurant and facilities are very clean and never crowded. The staff are very friendly, always making an effort to chat and are very professional.

I would clearly recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes good Indian food in a great environment.

Gary

24  Thank gary l
samoji, Manager at Samoji Indian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Gary I,
Thank you for your comments, we are very happy that we met with your expectations and we look forward to welcome you again. Kind regards.