“This a cosy pub”

Dining options: Reservations
Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
“This a cosy pub”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

They do a good plate of ham, egg and chips. With friends we have been there several times. It is one of the quieter pubs in St Albans thought it is worth a visit at lunchtime. There is a handy car park at the back.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Harry M

St albans
“won't be coming back after this..”
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

I have been here a couple of times in the past and enjoyed the food and the pub atmosphere. However, a lunchtime visit has put me right off ever going again, even more annoying as there are some many other venues keen for mid-week lunchtime trade that I was thinking of going to. We ordered up the fish and chips, but we didn't want end up over eating, so we ordered the 'premium' size portion, which was the smaller of the two sizes. Whilst what arrived was well cooked and tasty it can only be described as a very small child's portion. So maybe not even a 1/4 of what I would normally expect as a reasonable portion of fish and chips. Whilst not expensive at £6.95 each, given the size it was severely taking the Mickey to serve that to an adult (there was no warning as to what was coming when the order was placed, otherwise we would have upsized to the "first class" size at £9.95, although I now have my doubts as to whether that would have been satisfactory). Whilst We should have sent it back, being hungry We ate it, whilst the disgruntlement built up and then asked our waitress to explain why it was so small and how disappointed we were. To be fair she did say that she had advised the chef that she thought our portions were very small that day. Anyway she trotted back to he kitchen, returning a few minutes later to say that yes it was really a child's portion, but that is what they served at lunch. They offered absolutely nothing (I think the waitress apologised - we never saw the chef) to assuage our very obvious anger at being ripped off. Given the level of competition in St. Albans their arrogance at serving this up with a straight face is astonishing and I don't normally do reviews, let alone negative ones. It's a shame, but I can't bring myself to go back there again.

7 Thank Brecon S
“Great food, great pub”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Went there last night for food and drinks. My Barnsley chop was outstanding- the sweetbreads and cauliflower puree made the dish, and my companions were well pleased with their more straightforward burger and fish and chips. Good solid food without gastro pub pretensions. I am willing to overlook the slate that the main courses were served on.

The welcome was warm and the beer excellent. A highly recommended local pub.

2 Thank Mark E
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“yet another visit to a lovely local”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is a consistently fabulous local pub. It engages the local community, is warm and welcoming at all times

St. Albans, United Kingdom
“If you don't like the Portland, you don't like British pubs”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Portland is the best pub in St Albans. The ale, in common with most Fullers pubs, is limited to a selection of Fullers beers, but when they are as well kept as they are in The Portland you won't want anything else. There is also a wide range of lagers, a fantastic wine list, and the landlord is a Guiness drinker so fans of the black stuff won't go home disappointed either.

The food is excellent, high-quality 'home-style' cooking, with none of the rather tedious restaurant pretensions that seem to have crept up on the unsuspecting general public in similar pubs.

Go there - only a fool would be disappointed!

• Visited December 2013