“A little pricey but well worth it”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cock Inn

The Cock Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cock Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 327 Restaurants in St. Albans
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Dating back to the 16th Century, The Cock Inn remains one of the most popular pubs in St Albans. We are known for our great food, real ales and extensive wine list. In winter we have a roaring log fire whilst in summer we have a fantastic heated garden offering a little oasis of calm in the centre of St Albans.
“A little pricey but well worth it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten in similar gastro pubs and always felt let down by the quality and price of the food.
I went along on a Wednesday night after trying another pub down the road. The menu was a little pricey but the specials list looked really superb.
After scanning the menu for a few minutes I decided on the duck pastilla for starter and the pork belly for mains. The duck pastilla was absolutely amazing! (I could have eaten five) when the pork belly arrived I was really impressed. It was a big old square, at least 4 inches thick and cooked beautifully. The accompaniments were gorgeous, especially the squash purée.
I decided against dessert, as I could hardly move, but tried some of my friends walnut tarte. Delicious.
The atmosphere was ok, but the pub itself is a lovely building. I look forward to going again. Thanks.

2 Thank Johnnyrobb
Allan B, General Manager at The Cock Inn, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you very much for your review.
We pride ourselves in producing just good food using only the freshest ingredients at pub prices. Our set menu is very competitve at £9.95 for lunch & £11.95 for dinner. However we will review our A La Carte menu prices & look forward to seeing you again soon.

Many Thanks

St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Pleasant evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We went to The Cock on a Monday night and had their two courses for £12 offer. The food was on the whole, very good, although the chicken main was slightly bland. The atmosphere was great, not too busy but not dead and the service was excellent.

• Visited March 2013
Harpenden, United Kingdom
“Not a family venue of a Friday night.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

On the whole, the food was OK. Service was pleasant and friendly. However, my wife and I ordered a starter of pan fried foie gras. Both dishes were burnt. I was not too bothered and so hungry I just ate it. My wife found it really unpleasant and left most of it. (No questions asked by the waitress or the kitchen.) The rest of the food was properly prepared and tasted nice. The ambience is not great. The dining area has a 'refectory' feel to it and the chairs are not comfortable. Main problem is that if you are seated close to the bar area, you feel as though you are in a pub, not a restaurant. You can hear robust language and if someone has had a few too many, that becomes part of your dining experience. OK if you are paying 'pub grub' prices, which you are not at The Cock. In my view not somewhere to take the family with young kids on a Friday night.

• Visited December 2012
Hi there

We are terribly sorry you did not completely enjoy your food here. Since then we have completely overhauled the menu & gone for more of a good quality & good ingredients with none of this unnessasary dressed up dishes. The ingredients & quality speaks for itself with very competitve prices & we are always improving. Unfortionalty we are a victim of our own success & on the weekend nights it does get busy with what some people like to say a good atmosphere. But if you are going for a quiet dinner then perhaps a different night might be better.

Many Thanks
Buckinghamshire
“Nice gastro pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Excellent service, busy and buzzing atmosphere but still has stylish gastro pub feel. Good location in central St. Albans. We were a group of 25 and I can't critise the evening although we were sat on two seperate tables which was a shame. Would return.

1 Thank L0veH0lidays100
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Great Pub - Brilliant Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I loved the atmosphere, food, drink, staff, and out door seating area! Brilliant location at the top of St Albans Town Centre, and full of entertaining, fun people!

Visited January 2013