“Made for a yummy and quirky Monday brunch...”
Review of The Waffle House

The Waffle House
Ranked #2 of 6 Dessert in St. Albans
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Waffle House St Albans, located within a working 16th century watermill overlooking the river Ver. A family business since 1978, we specialise in sweet and savoury Belgian waffles individually cooked to order and using many organic and free-range ingredients. Come and enjoy a tempting selection of breakfast, lunch and afternoon/early evening waffle dishes, brought to you with our friendly, relaxed service.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Made for a yummy and quirky Monday brunch...”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Myself and my partner visited The Waffle House whilst we were staying in St Albans over the weekend, as he had been a regular visiter to the restaurant a few years ago and wanted to return as we were stopping by locally.

I read many reviews of the restaurant before our trip, most saying it had been a great experience with great food, however, a significant number noting small portion sizes, over pricing, poor service and cold food. After reading some mixed reviews I wasn't sure what to expect, but I must say both myself and my partner had a lovely time. We arrived at around 11am on Monday, and were seated straight away, the atmosphere was charming and there was a quaint character to the building itself.

We were served quickly and both very much enjoyed our waffles, although we wouldn't normally pay £20 for brunch, taking into consideration, what I thought were generous portion sizes, the lovely atmosphere and the quirky nature of the establishment, I would happily return for a brunch treat if I were in the area again.

• Visited October 2013
The_Waffle_House, Owner at The Waffle House, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Many thanks for giving us a try and taking the time to write a complimentary review of your recent visit. Pleased to hear that the watermill setting and atmosphere added to your enjoyment of our food and service. Hope that we can tempt you and your partner back for another brunch treat next time you are in the area.

Enfield, United Kingdom
“Food excellent but not great for babies”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Visited with a group of friends and the food was absolutely great. Between us we had savoury: waffle with mushrooms and cheese sauce, waffle with chili con carne (came with generous serving of guacomole and cheese) both of which were brilliant, and sweet: with dutch apple and butterscotch/ chocolate sauce, plain with maple syrup & ice cream. Totally yummy.
The down side is that we were told you can't take buggies into the building. A huge downside for somewhere that claims to be family friendly. This meant we were in the covered outdoor seating area. This area might be nice on a dry day but it is set on flagstones so there were big puddles everywhere. So anything falling on the floor - which with 4 under twos was a long list of socks, blankets and toys - was immediately sodden, dirty and unusable. You also couldn't put the children down to have a little walk about either as it was so wet and uneven and although they had a burner to heat it we all came away feeling damp & chilly. Such a pity and made it much less relaxing than it should have been.

• Visited October 2013
The_Waffle_House, Owner at The Waffle House, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Many thanks for your constructive comments. Good to know that our savoury and sweet waffles hit the spot. Although the narrow entrances, steep steps, limited space and fire exit regulations of our 16th watermill make it difficult for us to accommodate buggies, we are always happy to provide highchairs. You are also welcome to take pushchairs into our adjacent barn rooms if you would prefer not to sit in the covered outdoor area. We welcome feedback to help us improve and hope you’ll try us again.
Brooksville, Florida
“Worth the Wait!”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were there on a busy Sunday afternoon and waited in line for quite a long time. It was worth the wait. We had delicious savory waffles for a late lunch and then had delicious sweet waffles for dessert. The whole meal was a treat as we do not have anything like this in the US. At least not where we live.

Would definitely go here again when we are in the area.

• Visited August 2013
Thank you for your very positive feedback on your first visit. Great to hear that you enjoyed your savoury and sweet waffles, and appreciated what makes us a little different. Please do come and see us again when you are next in St Albans.
London, United Kingdom
“Over Thirty Years Ago”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Yes my first visit to this restaurant was over thirty years ago, on 11/10/2013 I returned not for the first time I hasten to add. So what has changed to fire me up to write this review very, very, little that is the predominantly amazing thing. This place has grown although a listed building, it is an original water mill that when I first discovered it I lived about a mile away and noticed some one had opened a restaurant within as well as tours of the workings. They where an elderly couple who came from South Africa and returned there every winter leaving their son in charge until they returned when the weather became less inclement. They where lovely people always ready for a friendly chat, I moved away from the district twenty eight years ago but often returned to dine when ever I visited the area. It is many years since I saw the original couple so I guess they are serving there special food in a higher environment now. But their legacy lives on today there is little about the food that has changed yes I think the portions may be slightly smaller but flavours and quality is very close to what it has ever been. I notice the health warning chocolate moose has disappeared from the menu, probably due to health and safety regulations although I survived it with every meal for many years although I found it too heavy for me when I hit seventy two or three. I think it is still on the menu at the Norwich branch which I discovered when visiting my daughter and her family who live in that part of England. Originally I think it was the son of the couple who started the St Albans waffle house who started it but again I never recognise any one from the original family now. When I visited last Friday there where over sixty cars in the car park and I had to queue up for over thirty minutes to be seated I could have been served earlier but only if I sat outside under a temporary awning, at my age on a cold and wet day I thought I would prefer to wait to get inside. What ever you read about this place bear in mind how many eating places you have queue to get in and ask yourself why that would be, I would be surprised if you were disappointed in either branch. Michelin star food it is not but neither is the price it is just healthy tasty grub that is not egg sausage and chips.

• Visited October 2013
Lovely to hear that you have been enjoying waffles with us for more than three decades, Bernie. We are still owned and managed by members of the family that you describe and, although we have made improvements to the watermill and adjacent facilities, we’ve kept our tried and tested formula of fresh waffles, prepared to order with high quality ingredients. Sorry to hear that you had to wait to be seated inside. If it helps for your next visit, we do accept phone reservations from 5.30pm for tables of four or more from Thu to Sat. Thank you for your support over so many years and hope that we can continue to look after you for many more to come. With best wishes from all the team here.
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“Surrounding area is nice, food ok, popular with families”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Went on a Sunday afternoon a half hour before last orders; the place was still busy but we were seated quickly. Popular with families so quite noisy. Menu choice was varied enough to cater to both the vegetarian and meat lover in our party. Food was ok but not as special , or as generously sized as we were expecting given some of the on-line reviews & pictures. Bar did not have soda water so had to pay for sparkling water.
We would go again but only for a coffee break; not for a meal. 1 child, 2 adults = 3 waffles, 1 small salad, 1 bowl soup, 4 drinks = £36

• Visited October 2013
The_Waffle_House, Owner at The Waffle House, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Good to know that you received swift service and that you appreciated the variety of our menu. If, on a future visit, anything is below expectation, please do let the manager on duty know. Kind regards from the team.