“Busy but good”

Pizza Express
Ranked #222 of 351 Restaurants in St. Albans
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Often very busy but food is always hot and nicely served. Quite noisy with the tiled floor and marble tables but no different to any other Pizza express.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Pizza Express oh use to be so nice. Whats gone wrong . Waited for our table at the door even though there seemed to be plenty of tables available . Finally shown to our table and waited and waited . Then asked what we wanted to drink and we happily give our order , My wife says calm down the drinks will arrive soon. Ages later they did and then they took our order. Long wait again and pizza arrived cold .
All this for almost a £100 for a family of five. It Disgutsting AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. you may as well drag your tongue over the pavement outside and get better taste Its disusting . Going by the other reviews on here they think the same.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I always love the light "healthy" pizza's that you get in Pizza Express. St Alban's branch is always busy, and the food is great, I love the cool relaxing decor and atmosphere.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We have often eaten at various Pizza Express branches....unadventurous I know, but with 2 young children you can usually rely on good food and a child-friendly environment. However this one really lets down the rest of the chain.

First impressions not good - paint peeling from the shop front and 3 bin bags full of rubbish half-obstructing the steps. To be fair, these may well have been dumped by the property next door, but if I was a restaurant manager and my guests had to clamber over 3 bags full of rubbish to get inside, I'd move them, regardless of who'd left them there. (2 days later, walking past to get to the very impressive Loch Fyne just up the road, the bags were still there.....)

Sunday lunchtime, the place was half empty. Not a good sign. Service very poor in every respect. Only 2 waiters and clearly found it hard to cope, even to the extent that the chef came to help out once or twice (all credit to him, the only staff member there who seemed to care).

Kids offered crayons to play with, which never arrived. Had to ask for them and then no apology, brought with ill grace. Not enough cutlery, again, had to ask, and again brought with no apology and miserable attitude. We were sat on a raised area just behind a railing next to the ktichen. When the food was ready, the waiter would just pass it to us over the railing, rather than walk up 2 steps and bring it to the table.

Finally, just to cap it all, the toilets were filthy. Very unusual in a Pizza Express. Rather than try and change our son's nappy in there, we changed him on the front seat of the car parked by the side of the road!

On the plus side, the food was as good as it usually is, so all credit to the kitchen staff. It's front of house which is the problem in this restaurant.

Sorry to do this to the manager (who I'm sure is a nice guy!) but this place really needs a new manager. In every respect it smacks of a complete lack of care. There are so many better places to eat in St Albans and this branch won't survive unless the manager pulls his socks up.

2  Thank Chris M
Reviewed August 21, 2012

It's a shame because most pizza express places are really good, but this one is the worst I have ever been to. The first time I went there about a year ago, the service was awful, rude staff, long wait, food not very good. Last month I returned (what was I thinking) hoping that the place had changed (it had been a year). However it was just the same rudeness and bog standard pizza that I could have made myself. Go across the road to the other restaurants is my advice!

2  Thank Toby D