“Great wine in the sunshine”

Cafe Rouge Hertford
Ranked #7 of 102 Restaurants in Hertford
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Occupying a prime location in the pedestrianised square, Café Rouge looks directly across to the cenotaph and is the ideal place to sit down, relax with a meal and a glass of wine and watch the world go by. A petit bit of trivia: during an outbreak of plague in 1563, the Parliament of England temporarily relocated from London to Hertford. To commemorate this, the square was re-named Parliament Square in the 20th century.
Reviewed July 6, 2014

really great place to enjoy some wine outside! large seating area with a lovely wine menu. I didn't eat on this occasion but would go back after the service we received

Reviewed June 30, 2014

The staff were great but the food was horrendous. This is the first review I have ever written but I feel strongly enough to say that this restaurant is terrible.
I have twice had to send food back in the past couple of months - the steak for the steak baguette is tough and inedible, the bread is microwaved and solid/chewy, the salad is brown, the cheese omelette does not even taste of cheese! This used to be a good restaurant - I am shocked at how poor the food is these days.
The staff were sympathetic and I felt dreadfully sorry for them - their tips must be so low as a result of this disgusting attempt to serve poor quality and minimal food to the general public.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

The food is always good but nothing to write home about. Everything is throughly cooked and good hygiene but not special. I'd give it a 4/5.

It's a shame that the service is soooooo slow. If it was more efficient, value of the place would go up by a lot. Examples - waiters sometimes don't notice clients have sat down, take a very long time to bring the bill.

When it's sunny outside, this place gets it the longest so it's a fantastic place to sit outside, have a drink and enjoy the weather. Lots of outdoor seating!

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Arrived to find some of the floorboards up with a big yellow plastic cone at the side. The service was very slow. My starter looked like the sauce underneath had dried up ? my main course chicken was so dry I could hardly cut it I didn't complain we are Grandparents and were taking out our teenage Gran-daughter out we didn't want to embarrass her. Such a shame as we have been before and it used to be excellent unfortunately this time it wasn't.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Visit yesterday, and pretty much up to the standard I noted previously. Food was OK, no major problems but not outstanding. Service slow and it got worse. There seemed to be some issues with their "dumb waiter" system. The waiter himself wasn't dumb but generally keeping up fairly well without a lot of support. Slightly annoying though that he insists on translating all the French dishes to English before writing the order on his pad. Given the competition in Hertford I think this place will need to get a bit smarter. Reasonable value overall.