“500 years old and going great”

Salisbury Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Hertford
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“500 years old and going great”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hotel in middel of little old english town. Completly refurbished. Bar and restaurant lovely old style. Rooms slightly small but brand new and fresh and clean. Nearly 500 years old with creaky wooden stairscase and steps ghoing up and down everyware. First rate breakfast in modern restaurant with silver and waiters and all for 60 pounds incl breakfast!!!

Fantastic!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JanHilhorst

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stopped here for bed and breakfast more than once. Both twin and double rooms are beautiful and the whole hotel is clean and full of old charm. We were cold in one room and mentioned it at reception, they soon arrived with a portable heater and extra blankets.
We used room service for jam and warm scones many times! They were fabulous!
The breakfasts were good with plenty of choice. For an evening meal you can use the pub or restaurant, food was good in both but there was a big difference in prices.
Overall we had a nice stay each time and the staff are very friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SallyNSteve2
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The staff of The SalisburyArms Hotel were friendly and helpful. They found a quiet room on the ground floor which suited the less mobile member of my party. The room was a good size and clean The cooked breakfast was tasty with plenty of choice.The hotel might be a bit noisy for some because it is in the middle of Hertford which has clubs and restaurants.Felt that there could have been more teabags and milk provided in the room in case you did not drink coffee.

Room Tip: Room32 is at the back and has a wetroom ensuite which is suitable for less able people. may be some...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank deckchair58
UK
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We went for dinner last night.
Traditional style dinning room with linen napkins, table clothes and silver service.
Food was lovely and beautifully presented.
Wait staff were attentive and charming.
Bill for two starters and two main courses and four glasses wine was £48.
Highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jannetteUk
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed here for one night after visiting Paradise wildlife park. We encountered some problems finding the car park due to the one way system but that was the only negative for this stay.
The room was lovely with an enormous bath which was needed after a day of walking around. We ate in the bar and the food was excellent, ample portions, reasonably priced. The staff were all so friendly and polite . We would definitely use this hotel again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anne C
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

On arrival we were checked in by Christie who couldn't have been more helpful. Friendly, professional and incredibly helpful. Both my colleagues and my rooms had been recently refurbished to a comfortable standard and although small (is and to be expected for a building of this type), were welcoming, clean and relaxing. Bar staff also very friendly and polite, food was plentiful, presented well, tasted great and arrived in good time too. Check out process, again met by Chrissie with a smile and completed quickly, accurately and easily. More than happy to recommend. Thanks to all involved, a good night's stay was enjoyed by us both.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank smudgelab
Langdon Hills
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I've never been moved to write a review on a hotel before but I was so disappointed with this one I just want others to know what happened to us.
The staff are very helpful and polite, the hotel is very clean and despite being very old has modern rooms and bathrooms. In fact the place is very clean and modern upstairs.
But:
1) our room was very small - probably no more than 8 feet by 8 feet plus bathroom. Definitely not for people who suffer from claustrophobia
2) our bed was so hard neither of us got a good night's sleep (and it was fitted with sheets and blankets but I guess I can't fault the hotel for not meeting my preference).
3) the shower had a mind of its own. 3 seconds comfortable temperature, 3 seconds cold then 3 seconds almost scalding. In fact my fiancee rushed in to see what was wrong when I shouted in shock.
4) The shower drain was so slow I had to stand in ankle deep water whilst trying to wash at the same time trying to avoid the fate of a boiled lobster.
5) Whilst the waitresses in the restaurant at breakfast were very polite, I've had better breakfasts at Little Chefs. The full english breakfast itself lacked quality, had been standing far too long under ther heaters and was dried up and unappetising.
I did complain about the shower and was given (not offered) a £10 reduction in our £80 bill but frankly I found the offer insulting and just wanted to get out of there.
To me, a comfortable bed, a clean functioning bathroom and good food are what one expects from an £80 a night hotel in a county town and I was sadly let me down on all 3 counts.
I therefore cannot recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Paul T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hertford
Hertford House
Premier Inn Ware Hotel
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Fanhams Hall Hotel
De Vere Theobalds Estate

Been to Salisbury Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!