“A Great Historic Place To Stay”

and 1 more site!
Salisbury Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Hertford
Reviewed October 25, 2012

A very nice old traditional coach house with a lot of history. I stayed in this hotel for a few nights, a great location set in the middle of the town centre, an ideal place to base yourself if you want to visit the surrounding beauty spots and places of interest. The restaurant offers a good selection of traditional dishes although the wine list could do with a little more variety especially as its owed by the local brewery, all in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Great service in a quirky hotel right in the middle of Hertford. Got a great deal and the room was clean but TINY and v hot! The bed was lumpy and uncomfortable with itchy blankets and creaked loudly everytime u moved! We booked for 2 nts DBB inc for our Anniversary and were looking fwd to a lovely meal in their Resturant. It wasn't a good experience. There is a limited menu to chose, nothing we liked so we had to chose from the main menu and pay the difference. Food was totally uninspiring and I gave up in the end as lamb too salty. My husband ordered pork only to discover it came with NO accompaniments, just some pork in a sauce on a big plate - bizarre!!
There are 3 different areas to drink; a bar, a lounge and a children's area which is separate from the others. Drinks are brought to ur table which is a nice touch by friendly and helpful staff.
Cooked Breakfast was lovely but no ham/cheese/breads as advertised just a lonely baguette at 9am....
I know we got a good deal but there were just so many little disappointments, room, bed, food, breakfast, we weren't looking fwd to another night so we left early. The bar areas are lovely but I wouldn't stay here again......

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My wife and I spent a night here recently and I can only rate the whole experience as excellent. From my initial call to book a room, through checking in, having a beer or two in the bar, breakfast and checking out the staff were unfailingly very pleasant and helpful. The hotel is ideally located right in town and our room was very pleasant and well appointed. As we visit family in Hertford fairly often we will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

we booked the hotel due to a wedding we were attending, staff nice on arrival, bar was loud, we asked for a quiet room not on ground floor.... we got an attic room,they state on the website that all the double rooms are spacious....not this one... i have lived in staff accomodation in hotels before and OMG.. this was nothing compared to that, it was awful, no good for claustrophobia... we asked to move rooms, and no problems, we got another room... we settled in, looked around... more hair in the bath plug than on our dogs brush, blood on the spare pillow,chocolate on a chair, we could smell a funny smell, it was the bed cover, there were even, camel blankets(pre 1980's) we asked how often the bed cover gets washed... once a week !! WHAT ??!! we said that we could not stay... there manager was apologetic but, we just couldnt stay there....it looks nice on the website....never judge a book by its cover !!

Room Tip: none from our experiance
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank twolip
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I am local to Hertford so I didnt stay there. I have been here many times. I wanted a local McMulens Ale but as I paid by Debit Card I had to spend over £ 5. I also ordered a pint of Diet Coke and it came to Over £ 6, I suppose because its a hotel. Nice Ale. Olde Worde compared to other boutique hotels in Hertford.

• Stayed: September 2012
Mullen1827, Owner at Salisbury Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you for your review Hertsman! Great to hear from the locals and your appreciation for real ales. It is standard practice to accept payment by card for orders only of the value of £5 or more, however hope that our service justified any pricing differences you may have noticed compared to other Hertford establishments you may have visited. As for the Olde, we do like to retain and maintain our warm, traditional look, The Salisbury having been a resident building since the 18th century. We look forward to welcoming you again very soon! Regards, Sharon (The Manager)

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here for two nights at the end of my European trip, before getting a flight to Australia. The staff were very helpful, and although I only wanted a standard double, as none were available, I was offered an executive double at the lower rate. Very reasonable, I thought. The room was spacious, comfortable and well-equipped. Lots of old English character. The buffet breakfast was a bit sparse, but the cooked breakfast was excellent.

My only gripe was with the car parking. The hotel advertises itself as the only hotel in Hertford having a car park. In fact the car park is not large enough to accommodate all the hotel guests. So, if there are no spaces when you arrive, hard luck. I felt therefore that the advertising was a little disengenuous.

If I had the opportunity, I would likely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Mullen1827, Gerente at Salisbury Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear Paul,
Thank you for sharing your recent visit and very valuable feedback.
We understand the limited car parking is an inconvenience to a majority of our guests, unfortunately we are limited and can only suggest the nearest pay & display.
Our statement about being the only Hotel in Hertford with a car park remains true, however not as accommodating as we would like it to be.

It is great to hear that you would consider staying with us again here at The Salisbury and we would be glad to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Sharon (The Manager)

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Firstly I should point out that I have only stayed at the Salisbury Arms on business and this may have a bearing in the room(s) I have been given.

For a town centre hotel this is in a great location and has loads of character. It is an old building but is clean and pleasant.

Food is very good and reasonable value in comparison with local resturaunts and bars.

They do have a selection of draft beers which is a plus.

I have only stayed in the newer part of the hotel buildings, on the top floor, and it does feel as if you should have hired a Sherpa to assist you in getting to your room. The rooms on this floor are small and I would suggest you consider taking a room facing outside and in so doing avoid a view of the airconditioning units. I'ma assuming the rooms in the original hotel building are a lot better and more easily accessed.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the top floor of the newer building.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hertford
0 mi away
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxbourne
Fanhams Hall Hotel

Been to Salisbury Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!