“The chunky toppings”

Ranked #9 of 100 Restaurants in Hertford
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The College Arms is a great place to relax and unwind whether it's just for a drink in the bar or a meal from our fantastic fresh, seasonal menu. We have a large rear garden and are dog and child friendly.
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I think my last experience of this pub was well over twenty years ago when it was your standard drinking pub that had seen better days. The attraction for us was the dingy room out the back with two or three pool tables, but this is now a formal dining area. That's progress for you.

We did not feel it was much of a warm welcome from the first person that we encountered when we arrived, but there was nothing really wrong with it either. He was just business like.

The menu has a lot of meat on it, so at first glance you might want to reconsider if you are looking for lots of vegetarian options. Having said that there was a vege special and vege dish on the menu, together with at least one or two vege pizzas, so actually ok for veges then.

I ordered the fish and chips which was freshly fried with chunky chips and mushy peas. Very good. My wife had a pizza which had a very thin base, but this was compensated for by the large amount of chunky toppings - the largest I have seen on a pizza.

Unfortunatley the stove right next to our table was not lit on a cold Feb day, but the nearby radiator just about managed to cover for it. To be fair we were told that the main bar area would be warmer.

1  Thank NoSoupForYou

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Had a family meal here on a Saturday night. The ambience of the place was good and the overall service was satisfactory. In fact satisfactory sums up the whole experience. My starter of pâté was truly unremarkable in flavour, even the toast it was served with was a bit like cardboard in texture and flavour. Things looked up for the main course, the shin of beef was well cooked and nicely presented with a good accompaniment of vegetables. My wife who is a vegetarian was not so happy as her choice from the menu had just sold out, so she had to have the other vegetarian main course which was a pasta dish, not her favourite meal, though she said that it was a good example of its ilk even if not her first choice for the meal. The dessert I had was sticky toffee pudding, but again it was merely satisfactory not a patch on the one I unexpectedly had served as part of a wedding breakfast the next day. So in the Michelin guide terminology I would rate it as not worth a journey, but if you are passing it may be a satisfactory stop.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

The College Arms is a great little place to have dinner.

There is a wide selection of bar snacks and a good restaurant menu, although both are available wherever you choose to sit.

The staff are friendly, happy to talk newcomers (ie me!) through the various menus & specials board. In addition the barmaid warned us when two large groups might be ordering to help us avoid delays.

The food when it came was so much more than you would have guessed from the outside of the pub.

The burger was obviously home made from high quality mince, served with a lot of fresh tomato, lettuce, pickle & very fresh sesame seed bun - that was just the burger. In addition there were a couple of onion rings which were cooked with very light batter and some lovely hand made frites - French fried to you & me!

The fish & chips were great as well . Really good fresh fish, light batter, large cut chips & home made mushy peas.

The whole thing was really well presented.

As you can tell we enjoyed it greatly. We ate in the bar area, the atmosphere was good too, although maybe it's weakest point but that's being measured against great food, service and value.

Great food, great staff & great value!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

This has to be one of the best pub restaurants I've eaten in. Everything about it was great - a modern & intriguing menu (Michelin standard) at a good price & cooked to a very high standard with superb presentation. The atmosphere was relaxed and the service was spot on. If you're in the Hertford area and enjoy good food then this is a must..

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Friendly staff, fantastic food. This place is more like a Wine Bar/Restaurant than a village pub. Dogs are welcome in the Public Bar area (which doesn't feel like a Public Bar!). It's a shame you can't book a table in this area. Not being able to do so means we rarely go "on spec" in case we can't get a table.