“Very average”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Went here during a business visit. Food was good but not exceptional. We were there at about 7pm and it wasn't busy when we arrived. I had some pasta with seafood which was good but not outstanding. Reasonable wine list, all in all just an average Italian eatery, but saying that I would go there again.

1  Thank Val L
There are newer reviews for The Olive Tree

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We we so looking forward to a good Italian meal. The setting and decor was lovely. The food was very mediocre. I had a spaghetti dish with seafood, which was dry and contained some seafood sticks! I could have done a much better job at home. My husband had canneloni and his mince looked like it came out a can:(
...A strange grey colour - like it was processed. I'm sure it wasn't but where are they getting their mince from!
This is a very generous 3 out of 5! Should be 2 really. Nice decor.

1  Thank dixonrosie
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Haven't been to the Olive Tree before, but had a social gathering with work colleagues from Gloucester and Worcester for a meal here, as it was central for the three of us. When I booked they told me that they'd probably be busy as it was Malvern Spring Garden show weekend, but on arrival we were shown straight to our table. There's such a huge choice on the menu that we took ages to choose what to have, but the staff were patient, and realised that we needed a bit more time ... Eventually, we all settled on a Risotto, which was absolutely delicious, and as a previous reviewer has said, the Garlic Bread really is to die for ...

I'd definitely go again, but sadly my husband isn't keen on Italian food, so I'll have to find different people to go with!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The restaurant was well recommended by a friend, but two of us found the place a big disappointment. The staff, whilst very numerous, were clearly inexperienced, and our waitress had no idea about how to serve wine - she had started opening the bottle before she arrived at the table, she did not confirm it was the right bottle, had to be asked to allow a tasting (which was just a splash in the glass), filled the glasses to the brim, and managed to spill a fair amount on the table, which she did not clear up. The staff were numerous, and often could be seen strutting around as if inspecting tables and diners, but never seemed to be checking if anything was needed, not did they chase up the second course which took a very long time to arrive. For both starters and mains, two dishes would be served and the member of staff would disappear. Another member then served the third dish for our party several minutes later. No-one seemed to take responsibility for our table, and we were left with the impression that the staff were disorganised and unprofessional.
The food, which was a long time in coming, was mediocre.
And finally for a restaurant that is allegedly run by Italians there were mistakes in the Italian part of the menu!
Having said all that, the locals seemed to be enjoying themselves, so perhaps my standards have become too high after living in Bath and France for the past for years.
I fully agree with ukbrenda's comments which reflect our experience too.
A return visit is very unlikely.

1  Thank Les K
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Once again The Olive Tree came up trumps as it always does. Good food, great service and a freindly welcome makes this a fantastic place to eat.

The range is good from pizza to pasta to fish to steak, there is something for all tates.

The garlic bread is to die for.

reasonable price too for a very good meal out