“Trumpet pub”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2017

Nice friendly place to eat , clean and plenty of choice , the only thing is they have stopped serving food all day which is a bit inconvenient for ourselves !

Reviewed July 28, 2017 via mobile

Stopped here to ask if we could use the toilets and was told we would have to pay! It would have been cheaper to buy a drink a drink but we certainly won't be doing thst or dining here ever again. What a way to deter potentional customers. What has happened to humanity!

2  Thank Charli S
Reviewed July 27, 2017

Very warm welcome so good start. Was recommended the steak, Stilton and mushroom pie so we chose that. Was soooo nice. Beautifully cooked. Very tasty and tender and veg cooked to perfection. No room for pud! The real ale was well kept and tasted beautiful. We were seated in the new dining area which was pleasant. Staff were so nice. Other places could take a leaf out of their book as it goes a long long way. Would happily go back if in the area again. £30 for two

Reviewed July 23, 2017

Well, there we were driving home from Leominster to Malvern (having dropped our son off at his friend's) when the four of us suddenly had a passion for good old Sunday Lunch. Met with smiles - particularly Georgia - we were given a table (and the Wi-Fi code). Drinks were ordered as we sat, and before I had logged on, duly arrived - again with smiles. Sunday Lunch. Wow. I had a tomato soup starter which was A1. But the meal! The lamb (which can be risky to order lest you get fatty rubber) was perfectly roasted with a hint of garlic. The rest had beef which was drool-worthy (is that a proper adjective?) and all were served with fresh, colourful and beautifully cooked. Then there was the roasters. Too many of them? Maybe. On the other hand, none of us had ever had roast tatties like them to the point we had a doggie box and loaded it up with one off esch plate to take home. Don't ask me how they did it, but my wife and youngest daughter figured they knew how. Anyway, Trip Adviser is meant to give folk a heads up on potential places to visit and we give this unreserved full marks across the spectrum. Well done guys.

Reviewed July 17, 2017

We arrived at was not a very busy lunchtime and as the sign directed, we waited to be served. After a bit, I asked the only waitress whether we should seat ourselves. She said "No, I'll be right back to seat you, take your drinks orders and give you the menus".

We waited. The waitress joined the barman pulling pints and a number of people were served drinks. Other groups came in and seated themselves. The waitress disappeared, I ordered drinks and we seated ourselves. No one came with menus.

After ten minutes, I followed another customer (a local I suppose) through two rooms to a third where there were a stack of menus. Back at the table, after a further wait, our orders were taken.

More delay then the message came that there was no avocado for the avocado and prawn salads chosen by two of our party. (It is amusing that another of your reviewers had this problem a few days earlier. Avocados must be hard to come by in rural Herefordshire) As the waitress did not then return to take our revised orders, I went to the bar and placed them there.

When it came the food was of mixed quality. The fish and chips were fine, as was the smoked salmon dish. Sadly the scallops, while well cooked, were ruined for my guest by an over powering dressing. The macaroni cheese was terribly overcooked so that the individual pieces of pasta had been reduced to a complete mush.

On the way out I was not surprised to see a notice seeking to recruit more staff. Goodness knows how they would have coped if it had been really busy!

Jane B, Manager at Trumpet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2017

I would like to respond to your review. Firstly to apologise that you had a bad experience with us. But I can not comment on the meals you received because nothing was mentioned to myself at the time which is the point I can actually do something to rectify any problems. As is the usual problem I can not do anything now 4 days later via trip advisor.
As for the lack of avocado on the day we can/will only serve them when they are ripe enough to do so which I'm sure most people would appreciate rather then a hard unripe avocado. We do request ready to eat from our supplier but sometimes this is not possible as everyone else will be requesting the same. Hope this helps anyone reading this review.
All I can say about the staffing we had on the day is that we do staff for the bookings we have and walkins we can expect to get on that day. We are a country pub but for the two staff that was on to do over 40 people which is reasonably busy for a country pub lunch and to try and keep standards high is difficult when we do carry out table service which is made difficult when people do seat themselves as we do not know where you are or how long you have been there.
so anyone else reading please try to book in advance when possible. So we can give the best service possible for our guests.