“I hope they are normally better than this!”
Review of Trumpet Inn

Trumpet Inn
Ranked #16 of 61 Restaurants in Ledbury
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2017

We arrived at was not a very busy lunchtime and as the sign directed, we waited to be served. After a bit, I asked the only waitress whether we should seat ourselves. She said "No, I'll be right back to seat you, take your drinks orders and give you the menus".

We waited. The waitress joined the barman pulling pints and a number of people were served drinks. Other groups came in and seated themselves. The waitress disappeared, I ordered drinks and we seated ourselves. No one came with menus.

After ten minutes, I followed another customer (a local I suppose) through two rooms to a third where there were a stack of menus. Back at the table, after a further wait, our orders were taken.

More delay then the message came that there was no avocado for the avocado and prawn salads chosen by two of our party. (It is amusing that another of your reviewers had this problem a few days earlier. Avocados must be hard to come by in rural Herefordshire) As the waitress did not then return to take our revised orders, I went to the bar and placed them there.

When it came the food was of mixed quality. The fish and chips were fine, as was the smoked salmon dish. Sadly the scallops, while well cooked, were ruined for my guest by an over powering dressing. The macaroni cheese was terribly overcooked so that the individual pieces of pasta had been reduced to a complete mush.

On the way out I was not surprised to see a notice seeking to recruit more staff. Goodness knows how they would have coped if it had been really busy!

Jane B, Manager at Trumpet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2017

I would like to respond to your review. Firstly to apologise that you had a bad experience with us. But I can not comment on the meals you received because nothing was mentioned to myself at the time which is the point I can actually do something to rectify any problems. As is the usual problem I can not do anything now 4 days later via trip advisor.
As for the lack of avocado on the day we can/will only serve them when they are ripe enough to do so which I'm sure most people would appreciate rather then a hard unripe avocado. We do request ready to eat from our supplier but sometimes this is not possible as everyone else will be requesting the same. Hope this helps anyone reading this review.
All I can say about the staffing we had on the day is that we do staff for the bookings we have and walkins we can expect to get on that day. We are a country pub but for the two staff that was on to do over 40 people which is reasonably busy for a country pub lunch and to try and keep standards high is difficult when we do carry out table service which is made difficult when people do seat themselves as we do not know where you are or how long you have been there.
so anyone else reading please try to book in advance when possible. So we can give the best service possible for our guests.

Reviewed July 14, 2017 via mobile

We called in for lunch today and got seated quite easily as it was fairly quiet. I went for the fish and chips that I've had several times before, my partner chose the avocado and prawn salad but alas, no avocados left? Never mind, settled for a prawn salad.
Unfortunately, this time the fish and chips were swimming in oil so definitely not so good and couldn't be finished!
The prawn salad, though a tad expensive for the portion size, was apparently ok.

Reviewed July 3, 2017

Lovely little campsite for 8 vans with clean facilities and electric hookup. Well maintained and even space for a roaring fire with logs provided!! The pub served great food with a specials board. The staff were very pleasant and attentive - the service was not too fast (no sign of a microwave) and our meal was most delicious. The only downside was that the portions were so big, we could not sample the puddings! We will definitely be back.

Reviewed June 19, 2017

Enjoyed a lovely meal here en-route from Cheltenham to Ludlow. The menu had a good balance, & when the meals arrived they were well presented & cooked to a high standard. We arrived circa 6:45pm & the bar tables and main restaurant tables were 75% filled. An order was taken swiftly & professionally, but there was quite a wait till the food arrived. Three main courses (one a 'light bite') 2 soft drinks came to £49.50... consider this to be on the expensive side. Would I re-visit? Probably, but wouldn't rush back at that price or on a Friday night at that time.

1  Thank Tim C
Reviewed June 6, 2017 via mobile

Came here back in July 2015 during a few days holiday and enjoyed the meal immensely. As I was down in the area again, decided to revisit. My mum had the sausages and she couldn't cut through them let alone chew them. Now I appreciate they were 'proper' butchers sausages but even after sending them back they were no different. I had the 'Trumpet Pie' which was ok but the pastry on the bottom wasn't cooked. The management's attitude when I said something upon paying (the full bill) was a little to be desired. It was a shame as we had been telling my sister how good it was and was looking forward to it.

Jane B, Manager at Trumpet Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2017

Good evening
Firstly I would like to apologise for your bad experience with us. We do not always reply to reviews but yours stood out as both items mentioned are very popular. As you mentioned the sausages are big thick butchers sausages so they are quite tough but full of flavour so my staff should of encouraged against replacing them for more and being disappointed for the second time. We should of offered you one of our other popular dishes. Secondly if your pie wasn't upto our usual standard I can only apologise again as our pies are probably our most popular dish so we try to keep them consistently good and people usually love them. So I have spoken to the kitchen about the pie and my front of house staff about dealing with a problem more effectively. We hope you do come back again.
Kai