“Attempting the Potter's Wheel”

Eastnor Pottery & The Flying Potter
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Eastnor Pottery offers an exciting and innovative range of clay workshops for groups and individuals. These are designed to explore and develop creativity in participants all ages and abilities.The studio is located within the magnificent Herefordshire Country Estate of Eastnor Castle, surrounded by the Malvern Hills. If you are unable to visit the Pottery, The Flying Potter can deliver the Eastnor Pottery experience at a venue of your choice.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Gloucester, England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Attempting the Potter's Wheel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I went to Eastnor Pottery with my mum and brother as part of my mum's 60th birthday present as we wanted to give her a chance to try something different (and we were quite keen to have a go ourselves). We'd booked a session on the potter's wheel and i would definitely recommend this. We were greeted by Jon who was incredibly friendly and made us a cup of tea. We each had a go at making a pot and it really was a fab experience. Jon was a great teacher and incredibly patient with us. The experience of handling the clay and using the wheel was actually far more theraputic than we had imagined. Most of all I was very proud of the fact that by the end I had produced a small, but pretty decent looking pot - I wasn't expecting to be successful!! I would recommend this experience for both adults and children and am planning to book a session for my 14 year old to have a go.

Visited February 2013
Jon W, Owner at Eastnor Pottery & The Flying Potter, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thanks Cressy33 for your kind words. It was a joy to work with you guys. Did you see the photo I uploaded onto our website? Your mum's pot went into the kiln today so should be available for collection later this week. I'll keep you posted & thanks once again for flying EP!

London, United Kingdom
“Make Your Own Plate!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I went along to make a decorative plate at Eastnor Pottery on a cold winters morning. We were made very welcome, given a cuppa and some tips and training for what techniques we could use to make and decorate our plates. We were left to get creative and came up with a decent result. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience.Although not a bargain price at £20 per plate plus £5 to post it to us after glazing and firing, we were there for 2.5 hours and now have something 'we made' to hang on the wall at home. Looking forward to seeing the results when our package arrives in about 4 weeks or so!!

Visited January 2013
Jon W, Owner at Eastnor Pottery & The Flying Potter, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Hello LF2012 and thanks ever so much for taking the time to review your Eastnor Pottery experience. Our customer's comments our always gratefuly received and considered - thankyou.

Your fantastic plates have been admired by lots of our guests as they've been drying slowly in the kiln room. In fact they were bisque fired over Wednesday night and will be glazed and popped back into the kiln tonight. Taking into account glazing, kiln loading, firing, bubble wrapping ready for dispatch, your masterpieces should be winging their way to you by the end of next week. I'll drop you an email when they've been dispatched so you know when to expect them.

Best wishes
Jon
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“40th Birthday Present”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had always wanted to 'have a go' on a potter's wheel, so was extremely happy to have a day throwing some pots as a birthday present.I was the only one booked on that day, but Jon still honoured my booking. I had a wonderful day learning a completely new skill. Jon was a great teacher and very easy to get along with. It is not often that you learn a new skill when you are 40, but I was a complete novice. However as the day progressed I became more confident and started to feel more comfortable at the wheel. The lunch was delicious and the tea pot was always full. I had a fabulous day and was made to feel very at ease, by both Jon and his wife. I made lots of pots, which were all delivered to me in perfect condition. I would highly recommend going to Eastnor pottery and giving it a go.

Visited December 2012
Jon W, Owner at Eastnor Pottery & The Flying Potter, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Aw thanks rugbymad7 it was a pleasure to meet your good self & family. Loved the boy's impromtu t-pot at the end of the day when they came to collect you. Pleased your ceramic gems arrived in one piece and I'm sure you're very proud of them - an alternative career beckons!
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wet weather trip out with 10 year old daughter.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Well organised and presented. Fairly small group of kids (40) from 7 to 12 years old. The theme for the day was making a clay box from tile sized clay slabs. The kids where shown how to do everything from scratch; how to make the box sides, lid etc, techniques for decorating and then had fun painting with glaze. Good value for the 90 mins session. I understand discounts are also available for larger parties etc. We will be returning for tuition on potters wheel.

Always check availability before travelling.

Visited December 2012
Jon W, Owner at Eastnor Pottery & The Flying Potter, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thanks Chris. Your daughters box of delights was a stunner - very creative indeed. The fired finished item will be ready for collection from the Pottery 25th, 26th and 27th January.
Chester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Hen party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I have always wanted to have a go at using a potters wheel and what better way to spend my hen party by making all my friends do it too! There were 15 of us and everyone was raving about our time here for weeks. Jon was the perfect host and we felt very welcome and at home in the wonderfully cosy studio. I will definitely be back!

Jon W, Owner at Eastnor Pottery & The Flying Potter, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Great to see you and thanks for making the journey to collect your box of gems. Hope the girls like the glazed results?