“Too Many Negatives, Not Enough Positives!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bay Horse Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Bay Horse Inn
Ranked #14 of 37 Hereford B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Too Many Negatives, Not Enough Positives!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Bay Horse Inn is a low budget, average, B&B where you get what you pay for.

When we arrived at 1pm we went into the restaurant and spoke to a man who took us to our room, until we walked towards the outer residential building and the maid was still in our room doing ironing, and so was instructed by the man to move room's. We were forced to wait a couple of minutes before we could enter our room and so we went and collected our cases.

On first viewing of the bedroom (Room 1 - Family Room), it seemed well equipped - TV, hairdryer, kettle, towels etc. However, as we looked a bit closer it became more disappointing. First of all the light switches weren't working until we informed a member of staff & they collected a card which is used to turn on the lights from the main building which the previous gentleman hadn't bothered to provide us with. When I sat down on the bed it immediately felt very damp, along with the towels which were even worse, most likely because they hadn't been dried in time from the previous guests.

When I unfolded the towels provided on the end of the bed (that were damp), they had numerous holes, tears and splits in them (as shown in the photo) - I was not impressed. I knew the price was cheap, but as a paying guest you would at least expect that they could afford to buy new towels if they had holes throughout them making them almost impossible to use.

Thankfully our evening meal was a bit more promising as the food was good, and the portions were large. The restaurant was very busy and had a nice atmosphere to it and it was a very enjoyable evening.

Once we returned to our room we decided to go to bed. This was when I was concerned about the cleanliness of the room - on the bedstead was two rather large, round, sweat marks just above where each person rests their head, this I found unpleasing and so I made sure I moved down in the bed a bit to prevent myself from touching it (also shown in photo). The duvet was also very lumpy and had not been shaken out to its full potential by the maid.

Eventually we turned the lights off hoping to forget about the disappointing room, but a rather bright green light on the ceiling lit up the whole room keeping me awake for almost 40 minutes until I put on of the two pillows over my head, which then revealed a pubic hair on the bed sheets under my pillow. Anyway, I almost resorted to covering the green light with a towel, but it was then I realised it wouldn't work due to the holes and tears, thus making no difference to the distribution of light throughout the room. Along with the light keep me awake, was the loud thumping of music coming from the main building which I heard, being one of the furthest rooms away.

The next morning I went on my laptop to check on my emails. The internet connection worked for 3 minutes, until I could no longer connect and it did not work which annoyed me. Furthermore, I went to use the toilet and it is placed so close to the wall (3 inches) that you could barely manoeuvre about, making it feel quite claustrophobic.

After the last evening's meal I was expecting breakfast to be another positive of my time at the Bay Horse, and although the food was ok, there were some more problems. The coffee & tea cups provided on the table were dirty and had rings inside from where the previous user had not finished their drink, luckily I was able to swap it with another one, otherwise I'd have been sticking to orange juice. There were also several flies buzzing their way around the room, constantly landing on food and plates. Furthermore, the room was awkwardly silent with no music playing, especially when you had to walk across the very sticky floor.

I must say, I was glad to be going home after staying in this B&B. It was a shame that we weren't treated with the 'AA 4 Star Service' as the inspector in the room's leaflet was, who said he was offered by staff for them to carry his luggage etc, of which we were not. It seems the Bay Horse enjoys showing off its glamorous 4 star's, but doesn't actually put it into practice when it comes to its average guests. Next time I'll stick to the more pleasing service of the Premier Inn, which I would have booked with for this trip, unfortunately everyone else agree's with me and so booked there making it fully booked, leaving me to book the Bay Horse as a last resort!

Room Tip: Book on lower floor as hard to carry suitcases up staircase (no lift)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TravelerUK2020

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Hereford, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Very good choice on the menu, from posh meals like Salmon or Lobster to toasted sandwiches there is something for everyone. Excellent quality. Lovely bright conservatory and outdoor garden area. Visit, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

The room was large, clean and extremely comfortable. My wife's only complaint was the lack of full-length mirror. My wife and I stayed for one night to attend a function so we didn't experience the dinner menu but breakfast was very good and the service top class. Definitely top of my list places to stay in or near Hereford.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
hereford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Had a very pleasant evening at The Bay Horse dining with friends.
The restaurant was not very busy so we virtually had the place to ourselves.
The ambience is nice in this restaurant and the layout very good.
The choice on the menu was fine, not a great deal of choice for vegetarians though.
The food we had was very tasty and served promptly and efficiently.
Everyone in my group enjoyed their dinner and a few chose desserts which did look home made, which at over four pounds a head would need to be in my estimation.
Would not hesitate to return to this restaurant as we had a very good evening.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rubberband
Burnley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed at the Bay Horse for the weekend as we were visitng Family and found it an excellent place to stay. The rooms were large and airy, very clean and comfortalble and the Food was also excellent, both the evening meal and breakfast with plenty for the hearty appetites.
We will definitely stay at the Bay Horse next time we are visiting our Family.
Pat and Brian.

Room Tip: No.5 was our room which we found very pleasant.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Patricia H
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just had a long weekend here with friends.
Couldn't fault it. Everyone was friendly and efficient, rooms were good value for money and very clean.
Menu was good and as there were 6 of us we tried quite a variety of meals, everything we had was great. Breakfast was excellent as well.
We left the cars in the car park and caught the bus into Hereford from the stop almost outside.
Certainly one to recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank auntybuttons
Frontignan, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Lovely clean modern comfortable rooms, great bar snacks and restaurant meals, very correctly priced. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff here and you are made to feel like you belong there. Also fantastic breakfast and oh I nearly forgot the well stocked bar completes the scene. What else does one need?

Room Tip: We like No1
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family