“Outstanding Sunday lunch”
Review of The Bookshop

The Bookshop
Ranked #7 of 256 Restaurants in Hereford
Description: The Bookshop serves a concise steak menu Thursday to Saturday using grass-fed, dry-aged Herefordshire beef, along with other dishes focused on seasonality and sustainability. Our bar serves a small but punchy selection of wines and cocktails. On Sunday's we serve a Sunday Lunch that's better than your Mum's.
Reviewed October 10, 2018 via mobile

We went as a group of 6 on Sunday, a really gorgeous warm & welcoming place. We all had the rib of beef and it was exceptional! Lovely wine, incredible veg, cauliflower cheese and all the classic Sunday roast bits. Super friendly service too.
Thank you, it really was amazing.

Reviewed October 9, 2018

My brother and his wife came to stay for a long weekend, they both love steak. I had read so many wonderful reviews of your Restaurant so decided to book a table for last Saturday evening.
The waitress was very attentive and explained the various types of steak dishes, the fish option and the vegetarian option and choices of vegetables. 3 had steak and I had mackerel and we ordered various vegetables dishes. The main courses were beautifully cooked, the three who had the steak thought they were quite cool and carving them did not help. We all felt that the vegetables could have been lighter in taste, rather than strong cheese and chilli type dishes. .At the end of the evening, the waiter came to clear the table, unfortunately he knocked a glass of wine all over me, it included my trousers, top and a long cardigan, he was very apologetic and bought me a free glass of wine. The waitress who served us offered to pay for cleaning if the stains did not come out after washing and once again was very apologetic. I am happy to report all the stains came out.
We have dined out at various Herefordshire Restaurants with high standards and superb food, so a huge disappointment for us.

Reviewed October 8, 2018 via mobile

My family and friends say that I am a fussy eater and always the last to finish my meal. Not at The Bookshop. What a fantastic way to end a fabulous wedding weekend. The Sunday roast was excellent. I had the rare rump of Hereford beef, rib of beef croquette, celeriac purée and a beautiful beef gravy. My husband and friends had the lamb and pork dishes. To accompany this heaven on a plate was bowls of shared duck fat roast potatoes, pickled red cabbage, a mix of kale, savoy cabbage, green beans, roasted carrots, roasted parsnips topped with hazelnuts. Smoked cauliflower cheese, Yorkshire pudding and gravy. I was the second to finish. The only sounds from our table were moans of deliciousness. The Bookshop is a small cosy, yet rustic Steak and Bar restaurant. The staff are wonderful and the service is excellent. You have to book to ensure a table. For Sunday lunch you have four main options and the beef dish was £16.50. Normally I would never pay that much for a Sunday lunch, however I would not normally eat such a gastronomical delight worth the price. I live approximately an hour away, but will definitely be back. I’m looking forward to trying their steak night!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

We have been to this place a few times for evening meals out and have always been very impressed with every aspect of the place. But today was our first time having Sunday lunch. I had very high expectations and they were met!
Starting with us arriving early, not a problem. Sat us straight away in the heaving dining room occupied by all ages. There were families, young couples, hipsters and grannies.
We started with a cocktail, mine was probably the best Bloody Mary I’ve ever had.
Our meals were absolutely gorgeous. I had the beef and my husband had the pork belly. It’s all about the sides here. (And the meat of course) The accompanying veg, potato, and Yorkshire puddings were so flavoursome. These aren’t your run of the mill sides. No steamed peas or carrots here!
Then pudding, yum followed by tea and coffee. They use Method coffee here. But even the tea and coffee was special, included was two small homemade chocolate truffles. Perfect! Perfect place with brilliant people running the place. The service was excellent as always. My new favourite place. Worth the drive from Malvern. I would drive from anywhere to go here to be honest.

Reviewed October 5, 2018

We left The Bookshop somewhat speechless after our fabulous meal for my husband's 50th! Having not eaten here before, but had many great recommendations from friends, we did not know what to expect, especially from the Feasting Menu (we were a party of 14) and, wow, they exceeded all our expectations!
Cocktails and local beers/Ciders at the bar to start!
We loved the variety of starters and the fact each of the sharing boards was made up so creatively, and with such variety.
For a large party they slow cooked two huge shins of beef that fell off the bone as we helped our selves from the joint at the table - it was simply amazing! Home prepared and cooked chunky chips and a wide variety of beautiful vegetables (absolutely not a carrots and peas experience......chargrilled aubergine with sesame seed, chilli baked tomatoes, courgettes with balsamic (?) and soured cream, delicious!). We couldn't manage pudding!
All the team made us feel so welcome, fed us sumptuously and provided a relaxed setting for really enjoying time with our friends! This was a truly fabulous evening for us!

Date of visit: September 2018