“Disappointing”
Review of Ponte Vecchio

Ponte Vecchio
Ranked #25 of 239 Restaurants in Hereford
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A family run Italian trattoria with a small menu serving traditional and modern Italian meals. We are particularly well known for our ever changing gelato selection.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

It's a shame really, because this restaurant has all the potential to be great but it just isn't a dining out experience. The staff were very welcoming, so we were off to a good start. Being seated by the door on a cold night was not ideal but the restaurant was full and it was the only table left. We were told immediately that there was no Parma ham? So that wiped a few dishes off the menu before we started. And also no lasagne. We were told that its made fresh on the day and they had run out? Really? On a Saturday night at 8.30pm! No pizza on the menu so we struggled to find something to eat. A couple arrived and stood next to us (In the doorway) and were immediately told "sorry we have no tables available". Perhaps the manager should have checked first because the couple immediately stated they in fact had a table booked for 8.45! They were taken to the bar for a drink where they stood for 40 minutes! The cold meat selection was served with a basket of dry bread. When I asked for some oil, I was given it in a sainsburys bottle!! Classy. After a very long wait our mains arrived. Steaming hot and cooked to perfection but tasteless and nothing I could not make at home. The Parmesan cheese was passed to us from the table next to us and we basically got what they didn't eat! The manager is very on the ball and does not miss a thing so I find it hard to work out why he can't see the faults here. Suggestions: put some comfy seats near the bar and some stools and complimentary olives or bread if you are going to keep people waiting that long. The decor is tired, uninspiring and what are cakes doing in the window? Serve your olive oil in a nice dish with perhaps some balsamic vinegar? Olives in herbs and garlic would be nice. No fresh pasta in an Italian restaurant? Come on. Put some pizzas on your
Menu and take off some of the scampi dishes. The toilet experience is unpleasant. The yard looks like a bomb site after the blitz and the kitchen windows are dirty. Give your chef some more space. The poor thing is having to balance pots and pans on the window ledge. It could be so good, but it's so average and that's a shame as the owner clearly works his socks off! Why is there no where decent in Hereford to eat! I remember why I cook at home all the time.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

What a fab place, the food is excellent and the welcome is warm and friendly. We just love going there.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I cannot believe that the polenta I had was made with maize. Tasteless polenta with a ragu made with minute bits of meat, still tough, made this an average experience. Atmosphere and welcome ok but not warm.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a lovely little restaurant in terms of atmosphere, but while nothing was really wrong with the service or food, I left feeling a bit disappointed. The menu offered what seemed would be proper home cooked Italian food, but my fish stew was a bit watery and lacking in fish. On a more positive note, my other half had the gnocchi with cheese which was very good, and the service was friendly enough.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We have visited Ponte Vecchio numerous times. We have been thoroughly pleased every time. A wide ranged menu, quaint atmosphere and very polite staff. We are always happy with the authentic tastes. As a whole this restaurant gives a real feel of Italy in a small town in the Midlands. Its not formal but makes you feel special. I think the environment would change if there where many children, sorry!