“Lovely stay!”
Review of Somerville House

Somerville House
Ranked #6 of 33 Hereford B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Owners charming friendly and very helpful. Room 11 downstairs very comfortable but no view, upgraded to room 5 which is a large room with a splendid view of the garden and the hills. Home from home. Our only minor moan is there was visible dust and cobwebs in the bathroom and bedroom. Particularly noticeable on the wooden unit in the bedroom. Otherwise A1 and an excellent wholesome tasty locally produced breakfast.

1  Thank Gymima999
somervillehouse, Owner at Somerville House, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Hi Gemima999, Thanks so much for your review! We were shocked to see you had been assailed by cobwebs and dust in your room when you were here! As you will see from other reviews this is most unusual, as we are usually rated sparky clean! I immediately ordered a survey of dust and cobwebs for eradication the day your review came out - there were a few red faces among the housekeeping staff, who are most apologetic. Thank you for being kind enough to say that this did not spoil your enjoyment of other aspects of your stay! I hope if you should come and stay again, you will find the whole stay up to expectations. You could identify yourself to us for a little treat!
Best wishes Rosie and Bill

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We've been coming here for a couple of years now and it always impresses with the standard of comfort and service. It's a short walk from the town centre (or stagger back!). Breakfasts are outstanding, using local produce and catering to most if not all dietary preferences and requirements.
Rooms are large and well furnished, particularly the superior rooms (these have free Wi-Fi). Our favourite is Room 5 -it has a bath and outstanding views of Hereford City (from where this review has been typed). Each room has Tea/ coffee and a bar for anyone who fancies a quiet afternoon/ night in too.
Bill and Rosie are both very welcoming, as are the staff too. For us, it is the standard of service and attention to detail that has raised this place to a favourite for us.

Room Tip: South facing rooms are sunnier, Room 5 has a bath if that's something you look for.
1  Thank Lancashire_Dragon
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night in September 2013. We had pleasant welcome and felt at home straight away. The lovely old Victorian building has be beautifully decorated and we were able to sit out on the large sunny patio to relax after our drive. We then walked into town for dinner which took about 25 minutes at a very leisurely pace. The high spot however was an excellent breakfast served by staff that were as pleasant and helpful as the owners. All the food was of the highest (and tastiest) quality and I, despite being on a special diet, was able to enjoy it just as much as my wife without having to make any special requests.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have just returned home after a three night stay at this establishment. What a lovely place. Rosie and Bill are wonderful hosts and we felt very welcome from this first moment we arrived.
We had a huge room, which was in the basement of the house. I was a little concerned about this as obviously you could not see out of the windows, but given we rise early and came back later on an evening, this was not a problem. The bed was enormous, and very comfortable, but the pillows were amazing, and I wish I had asked where these came from as they were just so comfy. The only slight minus was the bathroom, which although large and gorgeous, had a rather "damp " smell from the wet towels, which because the radiator in the bathroom wasn't on, did not dry very well. I am sure if we had asked for the radiator to be switched on it would have been, but as I said this was only a slight problem. The whole experience of this BB was great, the breakfasts were cooked fresh, to order and only took minutes to do. The whole place is immaculately clean and fresh and has a lovely air of calm and friendliness. The walk into Hereford itself is about a mile and ok, but down a busy road so not that scenic.
I would definitely recommend this BB and would return in an instant should we visit Hereford again in the future.

Room Tip: The lower ground room is massive and lovely but if you want a view ask for a higher room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I've been given a very cosy single room, small had everything!
Quality mini bar and big selection of teas and coffees.
Breakfast was very good.
Very helpful people run the place and the Italian restaurant they advised me
made my stay even more pleasant.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Just spent a weekend in Hereford and could not have chosen a better place to stay. Our room was spotlessly clean and very well appointed, with a minifridge of local delicacies. The bed was immense and extremely comfortable. Breakfast was delicious with a wide choice of dishes. But it is the personal touch that makes this hotel special. Bill and Rosie are delightful hosts who seem to really enjoy chatting with their guests. Their advice ensured that we got the most of our stay in Hereford. We intend to return in order to sit in the lovely peaceful garden behind the hotel and explore the beauties of Herefordshire.

Room Tip: Some of the upper rooms to the rear would have a view over the cathedral.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Rosie and Bill, the owners, run a brilliant B&B in this spacious Edwardian house. Free fast Wifi too! The furnishings are of a very high standard, and my double room, on 2nd floor with a dormer window overlooking the garden at the back, was very well appointed. A small fridge of local delicacies is a lovely touch, especially the cold mineral water (I stayed during the July 2013 heatwave). Rosie cooks breakfast and Bill serves. The breakfast was excellent and set me up for the day. But because it was so hot, my room was baking on arrival, though the curtains were closed and door open. I had an electric fan but it was far too noisy to leave on when I went to sleep so I got very little sleep. The bed was very comfortable however so if the weather was cooler, it would have been great. My lack of sleep was not Bill and Rosie's fault of course but I didn't feel that they really appreciated how hot it had been despite me telling them the next morning. A shame as it's a lovely place to stay so I hope it's cooler next time I'm there!

Room Tip: If it's hot and sunny, don't have a room at the back on the top floor, as that faces south a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
somervillehouse, Owner at Somerville House, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Hilary,
Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad that you were able to find so many lovely things to say about us and the B&B. But really that heat in the period that your were here was unprecedented in the past few years. I think we were all overwhelmed by it! We had not had to use fans in the bedrooms for the last 2 - 3 years, with our awful summers! I do apologise most unreservedly for your sleepless night. I have to admit our fans were a bit ropey, therefore. BUT since then we have obtained new, quieter, fans for guests to use so that other guests, and yourself, in the future, will be able to make use of them without being disturbed in their sleep.
Please let me know if you are visiting again in the future, so that we can make sure we delight you and do our best to ensure you have a restful night's sleep.