“Disappointing”

Dining options: Reservations
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I have been here before and had twice the set 7 course taster menu and it's always been excellent with a flair to the cooking. This time it was a disaster. I think even my husband could have cooked it. The amuse bouche was olives, popcorn, salted nuts in bowl and chorizo and cucumber on a cocktail stick. Felt embarrassed for the young waiter who had to stand there and explain what it was in a proud manner. First course of cold mackerel was the minutest piece of fish I've ever seen, but gave us a good giggle when I remarked to the person next to me how did he manage to get the skin off in one swoop. Mushroom soup followed. A nice flavour but hardly difficult to cook. Then goats cheese mixed with cream, once again no skill there. The main course was a small piece of fillet steak. For 4.of our party no complaints but for me and one other I don't know what had happened but the beef tasted disgusting. I did complain but

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank hellyholls

hereford
“26 years of marriage ”
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Went there 16/7 for our anniversary and wow the service is just great so nice to b treated this way I had the veggie wow open pasta hubby had filet steak wow pud was great just can praise the place south

Ludlow, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

On a warm summer's day the garden is a quiet haven with well spaced tables. The burgers were delicious and well presented, way above standard pub fare but still reasonably priced. By far the best place to eat in Hereford.

Visited July 2014
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic experience”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We have dined here many times and it is always a fantastic experience with yummy food. The chef taster menu is always a special treat and we love that each dish is a surprise. In fact we have both tried foods for the first time on these taster menu's and loved each one. Would highly recommend a visit especially for a special occasion and pre- dinner drinks sat by the duck pond is a lovely way to start the meal.

• Visited May 2014
Hereford
“Fabulous food and service.”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We dined here for the flavours of hereford taster menu. It was fantastic food and superb value. Highlights were the fillet steak dish - best fillet I have ever had perfectly seasoned. And the tea smoked trout. The menu was heavily influenced by local and seasonal products and they were prepared and presented in exciting and varied ways with a lot of thought given to the flavours and textures.
We felt our bar bill was a little excessive but then we did enjoy some very well priced wine and some local sparkling wine and a few brandies - so actually not too bad on reflection.
Lovely atmosphere - unhurried but good service.
Having viewed the standard menu I am really pleased we went on this special event but would push the boat out again for a special meal.

• Visited May 2014