“Return guests” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castle House

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Castle House
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Hereford
Crowborough, United Kingdom
“Return guests”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from 17th to 21st January 2013. It was a return visit after a similar stay in 2012 visiting the Wye Valley Chamber Music Festival. We were remembered. We were well cared for in a friendly way in comfortable surroundings and our catering needs met on request. We were served high quality food with efficiency. Snowed in we were welcomed to add an extra night before our return to the south-east and we were happy to pay a very fair and reasonable bill. We hope to return in 2014.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PJM663167

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed in Castle House to celebrate my Mum's 70th birthday and we all felt as pampered as the birthday girl. With four couples to house, we were kept together but not too close, at Number 25. All four of us felt that our suites were special, each on a different floor of the building. Very comfortable rooms, spacious and well equipped with nice touches in each room. The bathrooms were a great feature.

The staff were great - very friendly and attentive. The meals were excellent and during our stay we enjoyed lunch, dinner and breakfast. A memorable occasion and a success in every way. Thank you.

Room Tip: We stayed in the basement room of Number 25. This involves a very short walk on the street to the ma...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank GrahamHwt
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Once again the Castle House Hotel delivered. First Class food and First Class accommodation.
The staff were very pleasant and obliging. Excellent Hotel in perfect position for visiting Hereford.
We ejoyed our stay here so much that we have re-booked for Next New Year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Diana D
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I live locally to this hotel but booked it to spend some quality child free time as a Christmas surprise for my chap. Even though we were local, not an eyebrow was raised when I checked in. I think the staff quite enjoyed being co-conspirators!
We stayed in a suite with a four poster bed which was very grand and the bed was lovely and comfortable.
We didn't eat in the restaurant that night as the idea was some time alone, but we have eaten there a few times in the past and it has always been exceptional. I like the fact that the produce is sourced locally.
The staff were friendly, the rooms clean and very comfortable.
If I were visiting Hereford then I would definitely recommend this hotel, although quite pricey, the location is ideal as it is central to our beautiful city and you will certainly feel like you have had a treat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SusieandChris
Dudley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

It was the diamond wedding anniversary of my parents and so we came here for a meal. The service was very good but the restaurant lacked atmosphere. The menu was not very inspiring and I felt lacked choice. Went for the gnocchi which was ok but the gnocchi seemed as though it had been roasted which was a bit odd.

Others in our group were equally disappointed and my niece was ill throughout the night - no idea if this was connected but no one else ate her starter. I should point out I was a food inspector for a few years and so speak from experience which is why I am not saying the two are definitely connected.

Would I return? Simple answer is no. I expect more for the price - yes it was a nice room and the service attentive but I came to eat and I felt a little let down. Sorry

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank blackcountrymon15
Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Arrived on the 2nd of December for 2 nights, food was ok however I do not class tomato soup as a particularly eye catching starter for such a high rated menu. The staff were very rude and I did not given bread with my starter which I believe was included on the menu!! After dinner, me and my partner were told where our room was and not shown; so after climbing 2floors (lift out of order- and apparently has been for a while) we were awfully tired and wanted to just get into bed and sleep.. not happy!! The bed sheets which I presume were supposed to be white were actually dirty white with clearly visable blood stains on from previous users, we only were given one pillow each and when asking for more downstairs in reception we got told we had to pay extra (disgusting), the room was cold and seemed as though it could do with a little decorating and the bathroom looked like it needed a good scrub.. I would never go back again especially with this being such a 'high rated' hotel it has certainly put me off going to hotels for a long time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
17 Thank Georgia L
mmarriottlodge, General Manager at Castle House, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Georgia L,

I write to inform you that I believe you have posted a review against a wrong hotel.

All of the negative experiences you write about could not have happened at Castle House Hotel Hereford:-

1. Tomato Soup was not featured on the menu, and bread is always served.
2. All guests are offered to be shown to the room, and the lift has never been out of order in all the 10 years I have worked here.
3. Linen would not be put on beds if stains you described existed.
4. Most of our double beds have at 6 pillows, but all have at least 4. Any requests for more would have been happily provided and certainly not charged for.

I request that this listing is removed.

Yours sincerely,

Michelle Marriott-Lodge
Castle House Hotel
hereford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I am fortunate to live in the city that this wonderful hotel is located. My good friend treated me to afternoon tea here and I simply had to share the news how gorgeous it was.
The room was very comfy even though it would have been nicer to have a bit of warmth in it on such a cold afternoon. We were seated next to French doors which were a bit draughty and we felt the cold after a couple of hours of sipping tea and chatting.
The Earl Grey tea was absolutely delicious and so were the sandwiches and cakes. The scones did taste home made but not sure that the jam was home made though.
The service was excellent and it was great to see a silver tea pot which kept the tea hot for an extremely good length of time.I would certainly be overjoyed to have afternoon tea here again.
The afternoon was a superb treat in such a lovely hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends