“Great food, great price, great service”

The Courtyard Cafe Bar
Ranked #64 of 239 Restaurants in Hereford
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Part of The Courtyard Centre for the Arts, the cafe bar is a great place to meet with friends or for business at any time of the day. We serve fair trade coffees and teas and delicious home baked cakes 10am to 11pm Monday to Saturday and a locally sourced menu from Tuesday to Saturday 12-2.30pm & 5.30-7.45pm, with quiche and salad available on Mondays and brunch on Sundays from 11.00am to 2.00pm.
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We recently visited with friends before seeing a show. The food was excellent, very tasty and the prices were very reasonable. I had "Jan's Famous Fish Pie" and it was much better than similar dishes served to me elsewhere in the county (in so called gastro pubs) at nearly double the price. My friends had the homemade steak & ale pie (which I understand has just won an award) and they really enjoyed it.

Given that the Courtyard is really a cafe/bar rather than a restaurant, I was very impressed with the friendliness and quality of the serving staff.

On the night we visited, the area was full and there was a great buzz about the place.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Had lunch here with my wife and Grandson and I must say the food and service was very good. The premises were clean and modern with an abundance of light - although given it was a sunny day the glass walls made sure that you were very very warm! Portions of food were if anything too much but the quality was excellent. Would call again.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We reserved a table before seeing Les Miserables, and were really looking forward to the experience. The menu looked really interesting, boasting of locally sourced ingredients and freshly cooked food, but some aspects of the food when it came, were really disappointing. I think the vegetables were pre-cooked and re-heated. I must say the steak and ale pie was very good and my wife really enjoyed the salmon. The reserved eating area in the gallery was very comfortable and good for people watching. For two main courses and two glasses of red wine, I thought it was overpriced for what it attempted to be.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

we recently visited the courtyard, the menu was quite good not a huge choice but enough variety my husbands meal, steak and ale pie, the pie was hot, the veg not!. but tasted ok we also had a desert I chose the fruit crumble but the crumble topping was quiet stingey and I left half the fruit as not enough custard given. We also ordered olives we thought as a something to nibble while we waited for our meals but these were actually bought with the main course! little bit of common sense required! We will visit again as this quiet a good venue if you are also seeing a show.

Courtyard H, Public Relations Manager at The Courtyard Cafe Bar, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thanks for your feedback about your experience in the Cafe Bar. We have altered this dish to include vegetables other than cabbage, that will hold their heat better. The kitchen are always looking to improve on dishes, portions and timing so we'll take everything you said on board. Great that you enjoyed the venue and hope you'll find something to tempt you back in the coming months.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Food was luke-warm. Shame as the choice of wine bar type food ( tagine, lasagne, pork with lentils, veggie food etc.) is excellent and the staff are friendly. It comes already heaped on a plate and the food is served in the bar. It is a shame that they don't use the gallery upstairs as a restaurant, as they used, to with the vegetables served separately. It would then be a dining experience and could be rated accordingly. It is cheap enough for a quick meal prior to the theatre but little else. Good wine though.....

Thanks for your feedback and it's great to see you liked the choice of food and enjoyed our friendly staff. We think they're pretty great too. We have taken on board your concerns about the temperature of the food and have made alterations to improve on this. Your ideas about using upstairs are great and we regularly now use this space for group bookings and on busy nights, so feel free to come back and try it out.