“Lovely food.”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We went for a special birthday meal. we found the staff very helpful.

We had a cocktail to start which was freshly made, we then proceeded to have one of the nicest steaks we have ever had in a restaurant.

Lovely atmosphere.

Would go again.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were a party of four adults dining at 9pm on Saturday 15th June. We arrived and ordered cocktails at the bar we were told another party had just ordered 24 cocktails so we would have to wait therefore we ordered a round of drinks while we waited. We were shown to our table and placed our order. For our starter we shared olives and bread and whitebait which were very tasty. The round of cocktails did arrive, however this was 30 minutes after ordering. We ordered a bottle of wine which still hadn't arrived after 25 minutes. We asked the staff who said they had forgotten, they then informed us they had run out of this wine and we would have to select another one. The main courses arrived and the food really was outstanding. The steak was to die for and the tuna steak was also very good. In summary a nice place with excellent food but very, very slow service, although staff were friendly.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We booked a table for two on the spur of moment for a birthday treat. There was a special offer of two main courses and two drinks for £25 per couple, which seemed excellent value.

We opted to order from the a la carte menu though and we were very pleased that we did. We both had a fish dish and both plates were out of this world. Beautifully cooked, high quality ingredients on just the right size of generous in portion size. I wouldn't say the food is cheap but it's certainly worth the money.

The restaurant itself is very nicely decorated and furnished and the staff are very attentive without being intrusive. As it was a Tuesday night, it was quiet but there was still a pleasant ambience. I have visited this restaurant at the weekend and it was very busy, so I would say that booking is advisable. There is a large, privare function room upstairs plus a roof terrace and some lovely, separate dining rooms for parties of approximately 10 people on the ground floor.

Their cocktails are a must try! I spent more on those than on my main course, but hey, it was my birthday!

All in all - we highly recommend gigi.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Having eaten here last night, I felt I wanted to leave a review. Firstly can I say the lighting and feel of the restaurant is loveley. On the not so good front. I had booked a specific table, on arrival that had been taken, so we chose another table and decided not to make an issue of it. We were given our menus, and ordered, but weren't given a wine list, we had to ask for it, I feel that when you order your food you should be asked "would you like to see the wine list?" if it isn't indeed given with the menu. We waited over three quarters of an hour for our starter!! Soup!! Although the main course did arrive fairly quickley. It was approx 9.30 when one of the watresses dicided to mop the floor !!!!!!! People were still dining!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this is a big no no, should be done out of opening hours. Also I do find it a little expensive, I have eaten many times at The Stagg, Titley (michelin star) and Gigi's is more expensive. Standards need to be raised if you are going to charge those prices. There seemed to be 4 on duty at front of house, all in there 20's I would think?? I do not want to seem ageist but perhaps someone more mature at the helm might help. (they were all very polite though). Anyway that's my opinion, no offence is made, but could do better.

Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I appreciate that restaurants are hard to come by in Hereford, and it seems that lack of choice leads people to believe that what GiGi's are offering is something special, but this is sadly not the case.
At 6.30 (early, I appreciate, for dinner) on a Saturday night, we were the only diners - which may effect the atmosphere somewhat, but usually means good service and fast food - so not a terrible start, but we were seated (bizarrely) under speaker playing Sex Machine loud enough to make my wine glass shake. Anyhow, starter of goat's cheese bruschetta was spoiled a little by it's presentation - literally a slab of bread and wodge of Ragstone dumped rather unceremoniously in the middle - was spoiled by being covered in honey? Very peculiar. And so not a good combination. My boyfriend did have chicken wings though and they looked good - nuclear hot and stinking of smoked paprika. Took ages for dishes to be taken - apparently the barman had something desperately important to tell the waitresses (which also turned out to be hysterically funny if the giggling that resulted was anything to go by) and when our orders for mains was taken I was asked how I wanted my pastry?! Er, cooked please. So food was quick, Beef Wellington was served with lumpy gravy (not a red wine sauce, they are v different, careful there chef) and a lump of mashed potato that was still exactly the same size as the packet that had bought and microwaved it in. Shoddy. My boyfriend had smoked steak frites, which was cooked well, but tasted a bit, well, empty? Like chewing a bubble wrap - but not the chefs fault, I just think smoked steak is a dangerous game involving messing with perfection - it will never end well. Was average at best. The kind of food you get in a chain restaurant I suppose. Adequate, but lacking any flair, or sadly, flavour. Decided against a sweet as first two courses so lacklustre and couldn't sit through another round of 'Barman's hysterical anecdotes, Part 2), and bugger me if our bill wasn't £70! Have eaten 3 courses in Michelin starred restaurants with 2 bottles of wine for the same amount. A disappointing evening out (though lots of Butty Bach in the Barrels followed, hurrah!), and an obscene waste of money. The restaurant game is too hard to play with standards as low as that - I love local, independent restaurants and will happily splash the cash for good food and good service - but I feel time may be running out for you. A reputation maintained by people who are impressed by your cocktail menu and shiny bar will not be enough long term.

2  Thank Aimee D
GiGi G, Manager at Gigi Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Hi, Thank you for your witty (sarcastic) and insightful review of Gigi Bar & Grill. I would like to take this opportunity to respond to some of the points you have made.

Firstly I can only apologies for your choice of table. We would and are always willing to move a customer that is not happy with the table we seat them on. You sat on table 1 which is always the first table we sit are early guests on. Your comments on Sex Machine playing have been taken on board and we will try to save that classic for a little later in the evening.

We recently launched a new menu so we are still working on the presentation of a few of the new dishes. The "Honey Roasted Goats Cheese" has been updated slightly from our previous menu and is one of many dishes we are working on. I personally love the flavour contrast of the Honey and Goats Cheese but that I guess is a matter of opinion. Really pleased the Wings were "Nuclear Hot" (Nothing worse than cold food)

Indeed the Beef Wellington should be served with Red Wine Sauce (which I believe it was) the consistency of this sauce I will take up with the Chef however. We ask how you would like it cooked just like we would ask how you would like your steak cooked, the Wellington is made with Fillet Steak so you, the customer you should be able to choose how "well" you would like it. As for our Mashed Potato I can assure you we DO NOT buy in any packaged Mash. Our potatoes are peeled and mashed on site (our Kitchen Porter can vouch for that) The Smoked Sirloin has proved extremely popular over the past 6 months which is why it is on our new menu at the expense of a regular Sirloin. Flavour of Smoking Steaks can vary slightly so I will apologies for that.

As for our comedic Barman, I employ people with personality as it most certainly makes for a better atmosphere and happier guests. However I can see that when you are the only table in the restaurant they might distract the waiting staff from doing their job properly and I will speak to my team this week and make them aware of your comments so this situation is avoided in the future.

Overall I am disappointed you did not enjoy your time at gigi. We always check back and offer our guests a chance to comment on the night so that we can work on a solution to improve your experience. Should you wish to dine with us in the future I can guarantee you will enjoy it and maybe you could have a drink at the bar and find out just what it is our waiting staff find so amusing!