All reviewsbroad streetfaded grandeurlarge loungetraditional hotelold fashionedbuffet breakfastall you can eattrouser pressfree car parktwin roomcity centreplenty of hot watervisit herefordcathedralgarrickcharacterbells
Reviewed April 23, 2010

We stayed for five days as part of a coach party. The room could have been larger, our beds were comfortable but by the end of the week the CREAKY floorboards were driving me mad.
The food could have been better there was not much choice for a vegetarian.
The staff were not very friendly, and we did not like the idea of each mealtime finding a different table.
The best part of our stay in Hereford was the weather.

Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed March 19, 2010

We have stayed in Hereford before but have wanted to stay in a more central location. Having read the reviews on Trip advisor, alot of them negative we decided to stay there and make our oun judgement.
The Hotel is old fastioned so if it is ultra modern that you want then it probably isn't for you, But if you want a clean, comfortable hotel with a charm all of it's own then you can't go wrong. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. There is a wonderful lounge with very comfortable seating for you to use.You can get morning coffee, light snacks and afternoon tea served to you. The room was of a good size. The bed was comfortable. There was tea and coffee available and a good sized bathroom with bath and shower. As we read in other review the floor boards were creaky but this just added to the charm of the place rather than being a problem. The Green Dragon is a wonderful building and allows you to enjoy some of the charms of an old fastioned hotel with some modern conveiniences. It is well placed for you to explore Hereford and all its history without having to use you car or pulic transport. There is free parking available. We would recommend the Green Dragon to other people and plan to stay there when we next visit Hereford.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2010

My husband and i booked into the 4 poster room for a weekend away from our children. The room was in dire need of new soft furnishings (i think the curtains had been washed and shrunk a bit!) and the bathroom was so not the comtemporary clean expereince i've gotten used to,....however non of that mattered, the bed was large and comfy -infact i felt a bit like one of King Henry Viii's wifes with all the heavy drapes, he location was perfect and the staff were really friendly and rather funny. We went for cocktails at the Left bank and ended up eating there while we watched the swollen river rush by.

The hotel does need a compelte refurb, but they have priced it to reflect it - you get what you pay for after all.

Give it a go but manage your own expectations and then you wont be dissapointed.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2010

You know you are going to tired hotel just by looking at the photos on line but you don't know that you are going to a place where not one of the stuff smile or make you feel welcome. From the woman who checked me in, from the woman who served me tea in the afternoon to the woman who served breakfast, all 3 were just rude, unfriendly and made you feel guilty for even being there! Hotel needs renovation and new staff but its clean and in a convenient location so if needs must......

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 12, 2009

I agree with a previous reviewer, some of the postings have been a little harsh.
Yes the Hotel is a little outdated; yes the floorboards were as creaky as anywhere Ive ever been and yes the place in in serious need of an overhaul but to be honest the only think that really irritated me was the state of the bathroom, which was very outdated, dark and dingy and just seemed dirty as a result.
But all that aside I thought staying at the Green Dragon was like a time warp. Its how I imagined many hotels were like in the 60's and 70's and I actually found it quite quaint. Even the wallpaper, curtains and light fittings were quaint!
The location is right in the middle of town and they did have parking (albeit in a bit of a courtyard across a lane way) we didn't eat there so I cant vouch for the food but the staff were as helpful and courteous as one would expect; no more no less.
The WiFi only seemed to work when you were close to reception which was a bit of a pain.
I think places like the Green Dragon are a dying breed, a lot of people here have whinged about it but do we want all hotels to be like an Ibis or Holiday Inn??? I sure don't. I'd recommend the Green Dragon.

PS The lift was out of action when we stayed there as well, seems to be a common theme. But unless you are over 60 or very unfit who cares? You only have to carry your luggage up and down the once and its only 2 floors at most.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple