“Your stay is what you make it!”
Review of The Green Dragon

The Green Dragon
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Hereford
Reviewed October 3, 2006

Our visit was part of a trip with Grand UK Holidays, therefore our party were in the age-group 55+. When we arrived we were given a key to our room and told that the lift would take a maximum of four people ... despite the notice inside the lift stating "Maximum load - 6 Persons". I thought that six people in the lift would really need to know each very, very well indeed.
The dining room was well appointed and the food was good on the whole. One evening there was a problem and something was said and, to the management's credit, they pulled all the stops out the following evening.
The rooms were comfortable, beds were nice, toilet worked, shower was good. floorboards creaked in good old-building fashion.
We went to Hereford to see the Cathedral, Mappa Mundi and the Chained Library and found that it was all within 100 yards of the hotel. What more could we ask for? There are always a few things that are not quite right ... but, what the heck, if you want it all perfect, stay at home! Take a risk now and then, you never know what might turn up.
On the return journey we were nearly home when I put my hand into my pocket only to find the room key nestling in there. I sent it back as requested! (There's alway one in each group!)

• Stayed: September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank BrianCropster

Reviewed September 24, 2006

Stayed at the Green Dragon for one night for my Dad's 60th.

It's in a great location, opposite the cathedral, very close to the shops and main bars. It's a very grand building and has the benefit of it's own car park, although this is quite small and spaces are very tight.

On check-in the receptionist was clearly overstretched and so wasn't very friendly but was efficient. The rooms were fine, in need of some updating but very clean and spacious. The bar area was fine for a pre-dinner drink but it lacked any atmosphere.

Breakfast was included in our rate and was buffet style although there was very little on offer and nowhere near enough waitresses to meet the demand for tea, toast and egg requests.

Overall I'd recommend it for a one night stay but don't expect too much. It's probably a little overpriced for what you get.

Stayed: September 2006
3  Thank Anna_Havard
Reviewed August 22, 2006

Myself and my partner (both in our early 30s) stayed at the Green Dragon in mid August as we were attending a wedding nearby. I was initially reluctant to book this hotel after reading some of the reviews posted here, but as there had been a deal negotiated by the bride and groom with this hotel, I bit the bullet and hoped for the best...

...and I was more than pleasantly surprised! The hotel is in an excellent position in the centre of Hereford, just a few yards from the Cathedral and the main square (and just opposite a taxi rank). The frontage of the building is very grand, and didn't appear overly delapidated whatsoever. The reception area, bar and lounge were slightly dated with some worn furniture, but nonetheless cosy and relaxing.

After checking in, we were direced to the car park which is just across the road at the rear of the hotel. The car park seemed secure - patrons of the hotel have to obtain a token in order to raise the barrier on exit - although it did reach capacity early on the Saturday (there were two sets of wedding guests staying at the hotel). Unfortunately I can't comment on the availability of parking spaces as we didn't move our car from the hotel car park. However, all of the wedding guests turned up (on time), and I didn't hear of any parking nightmares, so one can only assume that there wasn't too much of a problem. After parking we accessed the hotel from the rear, through an area which I assume was once used for stabling horses - another example of the historic character of this hotel.

I was pleasantly surprised by the size of our double room - about twice the size of an average Travelodge room - with a Queensize bed and sofa. Other furniture consisted of bedside tables, side table, desk and chest of drawers - all in very dark wood and 'antique' style. There was also a built-in wardrobe, small tv (terrestrial channels only), trouser press, full size ironing board and iron, hairdryer, telephone and the usual tea and coffee-making facilities. Again, the furniture and furnishings were a little dated, and quite threadbare in places, but most importantly, everything was CLEAN (unlike many newer hotels I've had the displeasure to stay in...). As previous reviewers have stated, our floorboards were UNBELIEVABLY creaky, to the point of hilarity. Fortunately very little sound carried from our neighbours above or next door, so we could enjoy this character comedy without disturbing others (hopefully!).

The en-suite was rather less impressive than the bedroom. The lino flooring was badly fitted, the towel rail wasn't even plumbed in, and there were no complimentary toiletries. Nonetheless, it was spotlessly clean and the water pressure was very good.

As the hotel is in the centre of Hereford, and we stayed at the weekend I was expecting a certain level of noise coming from nearby bars, and I wasn't disappointed. The two large single-glazed sash windows had little soundproofing effect, but the noise died down soon after 11 so it wasn't too disruptive.

Patrons have the option of enjoying drinks in the (quite small) bar, or in the large lounge area. We sat in the bar for several hours on the Friday where the extremely friendly bar staff ensured we were well watered. Luckily it was a late afternoon wedding the following day...

Breakfast was served in the large restaurant area between 7 and 10. Again, a very grand room with plush seating, although showing its age a little. On arrival we were seated, ordered tea/coffee and toast, and invited to help ourselves to the buffet breakfast which consisted of fruit, cereals, croissants, bread as well as cooked breakfast - no complaints whatsoever in this area.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our two-night stay at the Green Dragon. Of course it's all down to individual taste, but personally I'd much rather stay in a hotel with it's own individual character than a chain hotel with soulless pristine furnishings. No, it hasn't got a gym or spa, and the furniture isn't all an indentically bland veneer, and the staff aren't personality-less corporate automatons, but it's a cosy, grand, friendly hotel and we were certainly made to feel very welcome, and that's what's important isn't it?

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank EvilSheep
Reviewed August 2, 2006

I had the misfortune to have to stay one night here with a group of Americans. It was one of the hottest nights of this year so one of the biggest problems was hot public rooms and bedrooms. Although the hotel had assured me that they did have fans, upon arrival it transpired that they had all been given out. Nor were they any fans available in local stores! As this wasn't the start of the heatwave, I would have thought the hotel could have found some more fans by this time. I am sure there is a legal maximum temperature applied to hotels and I am also sure that dogs in kennels would not have had to endure such heat! The bedroom windows had been fixed so that they only opened a couple of inches and the heat was so unbearable that one lady decided to spent the night sitting nr the front door of the hotel. The dining room had one large fan which did not nearly supply enough air for the 100 or so diners. My bedroom, on the lst floor executive level, was large but only had one window which overlooked the kitchens. The 'new' carpet did not fit the room, the furniture was stained and there were only 3 bulbs out of 6 working in the chandelier. Small plastic bottles of shampoo and shower gel in the bathroom were half full. Yes, floors were very creaky! The food was the usual mass- produced for tourists - unimaginative and poor. No salad despite the heat; in fact there was roast meat as one option.
Staff were not in uniform and the one 'porter' available for a coachload of luggage on arrival, was in tatty jeans. The lift does not operate above the 3rd floor. The hotel know nothing about Hereford Cathedral opening times, yet it is 2 minutes from their door and in the morning there was no Receptionist or Manager available before 09.00. One lady who left her vital insulin supply in the care of the kitchen for refrigeration was told that it couldn't be found the next morning (it later turned up) and all in all this is a joke of a hotel. A disgraceful example and a blot on the history of English coaching inns. I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here at any price and I think the Health & Safety Dept need to inspect quickly.

Stayed: July 2006