“Never Again”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Hereford
Miskin Pontyclun
“Never Again”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Upon arrival in the disability bay in front of the hotel I tried to book in at reception to be told that I was not booked in until the next day! A lovely lady called Claire (with an E) was able to amend this problem and also kindly carried in our suitcase which she locked away until the room was ready - top marks. The hotel car park is in another street accessed through the back of the hotel

By mid afternoon I went to reception and heard other residents complain that they had no heating in their rooms - THE RADIATORS NEVER CAME ON THE WHOLE TIME WE WERE THERE. Some people were told that it would come on at 3 p.m. - 5 p.m. -6p.m. as the top rooms were heated first! Two oil filled radiators were delivered to our room and four extra blankets. One of the staff told me that the hotel was always cold.......never had a shower as the bathroom was TOO cold especially for my 85 year old husband.
At breakfast cold plates for warm food - someone heard us all complaining so there were hot plates on day 2. Glad we ate out at night.

3 Thank Barbara P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Very pleasant stay! Breakfast was typical Buffet. Very friendly staff, central location, clean rooms and good price! We ate at the restaurant during our stay for an evening meal, again waiting on staff were very friendly and extremely polite and helpful but food was standard!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank hannahbellafonte2012
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I used to live in Hereford and my first experience on the Green Dragon was over 20 years ago where it was a very grand beautiful hotel and one of the best places to stay in Hereford. My family and I recently booked to stay at the Green Dragon as we had a family function to attend in the area. As i walked in with my parents fond memories flooded back to my childhood and i must say nothing really looked any different. On closer inspection i realised that in fact it was clear that the hotel itself had been updated very little and still the same tired looking chair greeted us from behind reception. The restaurant area however had a new contemporary look and the menu looked value for money. We attended the restaurant that evening and was informed that it was all you can eat buffet style food which I was a little reluctant about as I was expecting something a little more personal. There was plenty to choose from across all continents however the food was very bland and un inviting particularly when you burnt yourself picking the lids up to help yourself to the food. Later that evening we retired to our rooms which we're extremely tired and dated (Rm 243). The carpet was thread bare along with the armchair. The curtains were dirty and discoloured and the lamp shades were all marked with brown stains. It must seem like I am being picky but I can assure you it really was bad. To top it off I pulled back the 'red silk' bed spread to find a huge brown/red stain on it. for the life of me i can't understand how the chamber maid could have missed this prior to putting it back over the clean white linen. This aside the receptionist was apologetic and embarrassed. we were given an alternate room (220) which was better however still very tired and dated (the shower has no use as it trickles out) and the fact that the only thing to keep you warm is a sheet and a thin blanket it does get very cold. my views are very personal as i know what this hotel used to be like and that it has the potential to be such a beautiful grand hotel again but unless some money is invested in the decor/comfort I will not be staying again. On a positive note it is very central. My advice at this time is that you would get a far better stay at either of the two travel lodges that are close by.

Room Tip: Check the room prior to unpacking
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Keira R

Travelers are raving about these Hereford hotels

Harrow
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Room was very comfortable and clean. Restaurant meals are very good value for money.
Service was very good. This is the second time we have stayed. Free wifi without passwords.
Help yourself buffet breakfast. Only a couple of minutes from cathedral and pubs. Hotel has a car park. Chairs in the restaurant are comfortable with upright back. Restaurant is open until 10pm which is useful if you arrive late and need a meal like we did.

1 Thank Jennifer G
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here early January for one night to finish off the Xmas festivities. The hotel is in an excellent central position for exploring Hereford town and as all the Christmas street lights were still up it was a really welcoming sight. The hotel has a private car park at the rear, just across a narrow street and that is invaluable as there is no close parking otherwise and we were allowed to leave our car there after check out to continue sightseeing You access the hotel through a quaint alleyway and the building has many old and interesting features. It has a long history and as with many historic buildings it is not ultra modern and is quite rambling. Our room was fine, large and roomy with a comfy bed, sofa, table and chairs, more than adequate. Ensuite adequate too.
Breakfast is the usual serve yourself, including tea and coffee from urns/flasks. There is an all you

can eat fusion menu in the restaurant which seemed very reasonably priced though we didn't try
it. Reception welcome was warm and friendly. I would stay here again.

can eat fusion menu in the evening which seemed very reasonably priced but as we were eating
out I cannot comment on this. Overall a pleasant stay and I would go again.

Reception welcome was warm and friendly. Dining room large, pleasantly decorated and breakfast

very good. There is an all you can eat menu in the evening which was very reasonably priced although we were

although we were eating out and didn't try it.

Room Tip: Our room was a large double and lots of space. I would imagine rooms on front of hotel may have had...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Cheshire
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Although not a new, modern hotel The Green Dragon is worth staying at.
Our room on the 2nd floor was a decent size and along with the bathroom was nice & clean.
We had lunch in the Garrick Bar which has plenty of comfy chairs & sofas and was a nice place to read the paper & relax. I can reccomend the jacket potatoes. A good choice of fillings & a good portion size.
Breakfast was pretty good. My only complaint would be that they do not serve you with a pot of tea or coffee and you have to go make one yourself from a vacuum pot of hot (not boiling) water.

Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Myself and my Husband arrived on Friday the 8th March. We were able to park free of charge on the hotel car park well before check in. After a walk we came back and got checked in by a really polite man, we even got into our room early.

The hotel is wonderful maze of twists and turns, the ceilings are high and adorned with large mirrors. There is a reception room where we were served a cream tea, it was full of comfy sofas and a real fire crackled away next to us.

Our room was decorated nicely, we had the usual coffee and tea making facilities, hairdryer and iron. In the bathroom, we had a choice of bath or shower and were over looking Broad Street on the 2nd Floor - a great position. Ony one criticism, creaky floorboards when people above you walk - but it is a period property and has a lot of charm.

After a great nights sleep in a huge bed we had breakfast. This consisted of a full English buffet, selection of fruits, yoghurts, cereals and we were asked how we wanted our eggs as we were seated. Other benefits of staying at this hotel are the central location and the friendliness of the staff. They really made our break a happy and memorable one and I will definately stay there again at some point.

Room Tip: A view over Braod Street.
1 Thank carla b