“Could do better!”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Hereford
Cotswolds, United Kingdom
“Could do better!”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

An old city centre hotel that has some wonderful features but it is in desearate need of some investment in its fabric and its personel. The building itself is a fine piece of architecture and there are some stunning historical features. The rooms and public spaces are well worn and in need of refurbishment. The staff were helpful and polite but there simply weren't enough of them to cope efficiently. Some basic improved basic training is required.

1 Thank shancock4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2012

hotel is very outdated in parts.
the bedroom was badly lit, mattress on bed awful and springy.
not enough staff but the ones that were there are polite, dont bother with afternoon tea you will be in for a long wait very disapointing , the restaurantis a mix of english/ chinese / indian cuisine buffet style for 12 pound not bad value only problem is the smell of indian food wafts the the rest of the hotel we stayed here on agroupon voucher and was well priced but would not not have payed the actual price. the location is ideal for visiting hereford as it is centrall to the town .
the hotel car park is an issue as it is too small to accommadate all the hotels clients we had to park in a ncp carpark nearby for 8 pound and we arrived at check in time. our bathroom was covered in hair maybe the last guest was malting i would have loved to of been able to visit the hotel 50 years ago i expect it was quite splendid unffortunatley that has all but gone a pitty much could be done with this place

Room Tip: top floor does not smell of curry
1 Thank ian m
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

We found the hotel to be faded grandeur which we loved. The staff were very friendly and helpful, to bedroom was clean and had everything we needed. The hotel is situated in a great place in the middle of the city, so everything is close by. Hereford has some great shops, pubs and of course to beautiful cathedral. As its close to Christmas everywhere looked lovely. We had a meal in the restaurant which was ok, my biggest complaint would be the wine, as we had a Groupon deal the wine was in with the price, it was undrinkable and we ended up leaving it. It was a buffet meal, which for what we had paid was ok, as the breakfast. The saving grace at breakfast for me was the lovely fried bread. The lounge was very comfortable, full of large sofas and comfy chairs. I loved being able to sink into comfy chairs. We enjoyed our stay and would certainly stay here again. Would eat dinner out. Big thanks to the great staff, full of smiles and very helpful.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jane B
Birmingham
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Whilst I've not yet stayed in the hotel as an overnight guest, I have visited them for afternoon tea.

I'm not sure I actually want to post this review, as I want to keep the Green Dragon for myself the next time I visit! Their Garret Lounge is an idyllic retreat from the bustle of Hereford city centre, reminiscent of an old-fashioned Gentleman's Club: Big comfy sofas, a flickering open fire and a hushed music-free ambience. If you want to get away from it all with the paper and relax over a cup of particularly good quality Earl Grey, then this is the place to do it.

Contrary to some of the other reports, I found the staff to be attentive, polite and efficient. I shall definitely return the next time I am in Hereford and I'm hoping I have the opportunity to stay over.

1 Thank Doctor_When
Bristol UK
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were on a Groupon deal and I will say at the outset that for what we paid we had a bargain. If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Hereford and your budget is tight then you would be well advisd to stay here. The location is perfect and for the price the rooms are fine. However, if your tastes are more discerning you might not care for the saggy upholstery, the threadbare carpets and the creaky floorboards. We visited with another couple and our room on the second floor was quiet and comfortable. What it suffered from though was a non-working towel rail, a blocked shower head that ran from a simple mixer tap (no thermostat) and the smallest TV available. In contrast our friends on the 1st floor had a 37inch tv, a sofa, thermostatic shower and a room that was twice the size of ours! All for the same price. We had to use the NCP car park as the hotel parking is very limited (£8 for 24 hours). but once we were settled in the bulk of Hereford town centre was on our doorstep. There is a choice of pubs and eateries and in hindsight I wish we had eaten out as I cannot reccommend the buffet meal at the Hotel. We sat down at 8pm and the immediate impression was that the food had been kept hot for several hours which was ok for the curried items but disaster for the traditional English fare which had turned to mush under the hot lights. Some items, like salad and the pork pate, looked to be potential health hazards as they had started to cook under the lights! As for the complimentary wine I can honestly say that at 7% and made in England it was most likely made by a chemist and not a vineyard! We had a small taster and then left it well alone.
Breakfast was a similar affair with the emphasis on traditional English served in the same buffet. It was adequate and again, for what we paid we could hardly complain.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms seem to be better equipped.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Daisydumps
st helens
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed for one night on the 5th December 2012. I endorse the other reviews about the hotel and it's faded grandeur. It does however have a good location. The .young lady who checked me in was efficient and very friendly and the car park is a great facility. My room on the first floor was spacious and clean if down at heal décor wise. I ate in the restaurant for dinner, declining the all you can eat buffet and ordered the steak. The friendly waitress came back and advised me that steak was not available!! As they only offer fish and chips and steak as the alternative to the buffet and one of those was not available it was something of a disappointment. I slept well and the bed was comfortable and the sheets spotless. Entering the dining room for breakfast I did not notice the waitress at first and when I realised that was her role I asked her if I should order tea from her, no she barked it is self service!! The other reviews speak eloquently of her lack of customer care skills. The flasks for the hot water were not hot enough. The said waitress brought toast without being asked for and when she produced it it was mixture of brown and white. I was never asked if I would like a choice!! She reminded me of a Russian waitress in the Soviet days!! For one night it is reasonable value and the pity is it could be a superb hotel with the right investment and the right staff. The hotel did not seem very full so i guess their occupancy rate is not fantastic. i would suggest that they rethink their evening menu - there were very few in the restaurant which for me when i see a buffet and few people I worry about how long it has been hanging about. The lounge is a pleasant place though there are too many chairs and settees. Staying here is like going back thirty years when UK hotels did not have an eye to the international competition and when guests were not as demanding. Times have changed, by all means keep the traditional style but the owners need to decide if they are serious about being in the hospitality industry. Their staff - with one exception - keep them afloat and they should be well appreciated by the owners.

Room Tip: the end of the corridor - no view but a good size and quiet
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
birmingham
Reviewed December 6, 2012

stayed at the hotel on a "groupon" offer - so as far as i was concerned two nights B and B, a cream tea, free parking and a free bottle of wine with the dinner - what was the problem - in fact when we walked in the hotel to book in, I was pleasantly surprised - it was warm and welcoming. the reception staff were very helpful, told us where to park the car, to be fair there is limited parking, and return about two o clock to book in,

On our return - we were booked in straight away, given a room on the second floor, overlooking the entrance - the room was clean, tidy, had a hairdryer, iron, soap shampoo etc.... but most of all a heated towel rail, as all the while we were there - it rained, not just a little shower, but gale force rain, and the towel rail came in very handy for drying coats
there was plenty of hot water, towels although the bathroom wasn't the largest I have ever been in.

the only negative comment I have to make, as due to the weather we probably spent more time in the hotel room than we normally would is the lighting, it is very, very dull, if fact trying to read a book was a little bit of problem - yet the lighting in the bathroom was fine.

the hotel is great, right in the middle of the town, near to the cathedral, which was well worth a visit - while we were there the town was hosting a victorian market and Hereford has tried very hard, to make the town festive, with carol singers etc..and all the different market stalls - unfortunately due to weather conditions there were not many brave souls shopping.

we choose to eat in the hotel one night, choosing the steak option, which was cooked to our liking, we did look at the buffet, but as it was quite late when we decided to eat, there did not seem much left,

it was such shame that due to weather we were not able to see and do as much of Hereford as we would have liked but we did find the local real ale pub called "the barrels" for a good old fashioned pub with atmosphere -try here
would we go again, well yes, this time in the spring / summer hopefully without the rain,
if you don't go expecting a 5* hotel, you may be pleasantly surprised