All reviews broad street faded grandeur large lounge traditional hotel old fashioned buffet breakfast all you can eat trouser press free car park twin room city centre plenty of hot water visit hereford cathedral garrick character bells
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Having stayed in several hotels in the Hereford area, The Green Dragon is my personal choice for this price bracket. It is very old and dates in terms of room furnishings, almost to an off putting degree, but at least it's clean and tidy. The location is lovely, perfect in fact, with parking to the rear, wifi is available in the relaxing lounge which I have spent many a few hours over cream tea browsing the net, and bar is also pleasant. Facilities are good which makes me choose it over other hotels, even if the interior is quite dated and very tired. Value is reasonable for the area, however a bit expensive considering the quality of rooms.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank ALondon1
Reviewed November 19, 2011

DO NOT go to this hotel. I was with a group of people staying in September and my room was not suitable to swing a cat in! It was a VERY single room and they had the cheek to charge me a supllement. I had to prop myself up on the single bed and support myself with pillows to watch TV. When I arrived, there was no tea and coffee although the very charming girl on the desk kindly gave me some! The room was not kept clean and one day I find that someone had been eating Subway sandwiches and left the wrapper on the floor! I could not have a bath because the water was mid brown from who knows what. To culminate my 'comfortable' stay the light above my bed failed and when the desk girl came to change it (because no management was on duty, she said), the whole thing exploded and all the electricity fused. I did wonder why the lampshade was singed and burned. That was how I managed to spend a final night in a better room. Where had that room been before? However, when I got home I wrote to the Manager three times asking for his comments on all this and at least claiming back my single supplement and he has declined to reply.The shabby hotel I can cope with as I knew it would be and the staff were good (except for the Manager) the food so-so and boring. but OK. This would not have been written had the Manager had the courtesy to reply to my letters. I wonder why the sillence?
I think that a hotel manager who cannoit face up to criticism (my letters) is not fit to run a hotel and obviously takes no notice of comments and suggestions, It's easy for him to say on this site that all will be order but at his present rate of action, dream on.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank eveleen75
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Stayed at the Green Dragon two nights and was not impressed with the state of the place. Yes its an old building but the creaking floorboards in our shabby room were riddiculous and need attention. Also I'll add a bit of paintwork wouldn't do any harm plus a few new carpets (the one on the stairs was thread bare).
Also from our opinion the bed was far two soft, my girlfriend suffers from sciatica and the bed started it off.
Breakfast was ok but no fried eggs seems strange, plus not enough staff on to deal with number of guests.
The staff working the bar on both friday and saturday night kept dissapearing despite a few people in there, everyone had to keep going to reception to get someone back to serve.

On a good note some of the staff were very nice (especially reception) and did what they could to help but are sadly let down by the hotel.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank whiteroseboy
Reviewed November 3, 2011

My wife, daughter Selina and I plus one dog stayed here after our very pleasent
stay at Holbeck Ghyll on Lake Windermere. We stayed in Hereford for 2 nights
checking in on Friday 28th October. Many of the bedrooms have now been refurbished
and brought up to a good standard. It has taken time and a lot of money but, they're getting there! The staff are just great from Simon, the hotel manager to Clare and the other girls on Reptionon plus the housekeeping staff. Breakfast is much improved with a large selection of hot dishes plus the usual fruit juces. The restaurant staff are keen to serve and all were polite. I know guests have criticised the condition of some of the bedrooms but as I said, they are working on getting them all up to a good standard. However, their pricing reflects the fact that the hotel is not the "tops" so you get what you pay for and the staff are far more charming than many of the five star properties that we stay at during the year! Well done to Simon and his team for making the effort and we'll be back to stay again in the not too distant future. The hotel is "doggy" friendly too!
Terry Rothery

housekeeping staff.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
HOTRESGDH, Manager at The Green Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

Thankyou for your reveiw As a regular visitor over the year and an old time THF customer it's gratifying to hear that you think we are heading in the right direction. Hopefully we will see you and the killer chiwowa again soon

Reviewed October 23, 2011

I first stayed at this hotel when my son was at boarding belmont Abbey boarding school and we had many typical english roast beef lunches on a sunday afternoon.I have since stayed there a couple of times and always enjoyed the friendly and attentive staff also the country atmosphere in the lounge.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
HOTRESGDH, Manager at The Green Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

Thank you for your reveiw as you have been coming so long you will have seen many changes not least in ownership and managers, I hope you like the changes we are currently making we think we are manageing to retain much of that traditional country feel especially in the lounge whilst bringing our offering up to date.
I hope we can continue welcoming you for another 30 years.