“Would not go to Hereford without visiting the Thai on Wye” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thai on Wye

Thai on Wye
Ranked #19 of 253 Restaurants in Hereford
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Dining on a budget, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Leominster, United Kingdom
“Would not go to Hereford without visiting the Thai on Wye”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

My husband and I have travelled extensively in Thailand over many years. We know Thai food well and eat it regularly both here in the UK and in Thailand. We have never been to any other Thai restaurant in the UK that can match the quality of food served in the restaurants that are actually in Thailand but the Thai on Wye and its sister restaurant in Southport , (which I have also been to), can and do match the excellent food on offer in Thailand. We have eaten in other Thai restaurants in the UK but have not been keen to return but we visit the Thai on Wye time and again. We recommend the Thai on Wye to a great many people and not one of them has disliked it. We also take friends there and my husband has taken his business associates to eat there too. The owners of this restaurant and their staff are all very friendly and accommodating nothing is too much trouble. Service by the staff is always given with a smile and they are smartly dressed in Thai outfits. Our last visit to the Thai on Wye was last Sunday 17th August. I note a previous reviewer made comments about the Pad Thai he or she had. I wonder if if he or she voiced their complaints to the manager of the restaurant at the time of their visit? I ask because my husband loves Pad Thai and he had Pad Thai on Sunday and he says it was, as usual, delicious.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Yorkshirelass3_12

Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Don't waste your money!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

I don't understand why it's #12 of 210 Restaurants in Hereford. We went on a day trip to Hereford and had to grab something to eat before we head home. The restaurant we wanted to go nearby was not open at that time so we thought 'why not', since it has such good reviews. Bad idea.

Upon arrival, we were offered prawn crackers and thinking it was free, I said yes - they were okay but not something I would order. For starters, we ordered 3 Tom Yum soups and fish cakes and Pad Thai (noodles) with green curry and coconut rice for main for a total of £47 something. It might sound like it's good value for money since there's a variety of food but the quality just wasn't there. Fish cakes did not taste like it was homemade and it was so expensive for something that was small and cold. I could easily buy frozen ones in Asian supermarkets for less. The Tom Yum soups weren't too bad.

The main course was terrible in my opinion. Everything tasted sweet. Yes including the coconut rice. Coconut rice are meant to be fragrant and soft but the one we had was sticky and SWEET (texture not chewy like sticky rice). It had a glossy coating, which was weird. Pad Thais are meant to be slightly sweet but I could taste nothing but the sweetness. I would not pay more than £4 for the green curry.

I gave it 2 stars because the atmosphere was good, since it was a quiet Monday. The restaurant appeared clean. I'm not sure about the Kitchen though as the spoons that came along with the soups were not 100% clean. FYI, Thai on Wye received 3 stars for their hygiene. The service was okay but could have been a lot better considering we were the only ones there that night. The waiter didn't appear very patient as we had a bit of a situation ordering the soups.

Thai cuisine is meant to be flavourful, served pipping hot and have at least the tiniest kick. Perhaps I expected too much from a restaurant that targeted at the mass market in Hereford.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank S T
Tarrington, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

Excellent food, great service and excellent value for money, Herefords best Thai that I've tried. We even had free food to try :-)

Visited July 2014
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Variable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

Had great meal first time, second time some of the won tong parcels in the soup, were completely hard and dry , couldn't recommend .

Visited August 2013
1 Thank 30Maggie
“Best Thai Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Just wonderful food, so beautifully presented. Lovely staff always so polite, helpful and efficient.

• Visited July 2014