“Good foood and good service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Saxtys
Ranked #41 of 253 Restaurants in Hereford
Cuisines: Bar, British, Wine Bar, Grill
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Since it's incarnation in 1977, Saxtys has been at the heart of Hereford's social scene. We are family owned and operated and pride ourselves on giving a personal and honest service. We are a unique venue being a Bar, Grill and Nightclub and also able to host a large range of events and functions including weddings. We have a light and airy restaurant serving a range of menus including a dedicated Herefordshire Steak Menu, light lunch menu and A la carte menus. We have 4 bars in total including a private Champagne Bar and Garden Bar & BBQ area open on weekend nights.We welcome groups and parties and can offer special menus for Stags and Hens etc, plus cocktail making and private wine tasting events. We serve food all day from midday onwards and children are very welcome. There is even a special children's menu and children eat free on Sundays. (See our website for details.) Our restaurant, main function room and garden are fully accessible for wheelchair users and we have spacious disabled / baby change facilities.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good foood and good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

The restaurant was very nice, the service was good and was delivered with a friendly smile which was also nice. We couldn't fault the food and the value for money was good. We would use this place again.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Saxtys, Owner at Saxtys, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review and for your positive comments about the food, service and value for money. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

West Oxon
“Lunchtime in Hereford”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

We visited Saxtys with our daughter and grandson. The food was cooked to order and was good value for money. Only drawback was the lipstick on my glass, not my colour!

• Visited May 2013
Saxtys, Owner at Saxtys, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review us.

I'm pleased that the food you had was good and cooked to order and that you felt it was good value for money. I do apologise for the lipstick on the glass, sometimes those lipsticks do hang on with alarming tenacity despite the power of the glasswasher!

All joking aside, it is a valid point that our serving staff must be vigilant when checking glassware before serving products in it, and this is something that must be addressed at our next training session.

Thank you once again and I do hope we will see you again soon.
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Great to Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Always a nice cool but yet warming atmosphere#1
Fantastic range of drinks in every form!
Brilliant food, clean and staff always pleasant and helpful.

Visited February 2013
Saxtys, Owner at Saxtys, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Hi Sheila and thank you for your kind review. I am really glad you enjoy our atmosphere, food and drinks and that our staff look after you and make sure everything is clean and tidy. Good feedback is just as important as the not so good and it is very much appreciated! We hope to see you again soon!
Hereford, United Kingdom
“not to my liking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

overpriced and a bit pretentious, not a place to relax in, felt like everyone was on display rather than enjoying a night out. door charge was unneccesary

Visited April 2013
Saxtys, Owner at Saxtys, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hi FlangeandJaney and thank you for your review.

Please forgive me but I am trying to establish the feedback you are trying to give us here and what the purpose of your review is. You have not mentioned in your review what time you came in, what you had to eat and how our restaurant service was. (Bearing in mind you are on a restaurant review site.) You will see from our previous reviews that we value all feedback and if there is a problem we will endeavour to remedy it and learn from it, however from the comments you have left, I am assuming you were here late after the restaurant was closed and as such I am slightly confused about the need to leave the tone of the review you have.

Firstly I am sorry you did not feel relaxed and felt "on display". After the restaurant has closed we are a late night bar and club and for those not familiar with our venue we are a long, rather narrow building and have chosen to furnish the venue in such a way to maximise seating available. We use High / Low mixed seating - a very common feature in many Wine Bars and late night venues in large cities - the high tables are more visible than the low booth seats which are more secluded.

The very nature of a late night venue is for people to go out and meet each other and have a good evening. Many, many customers have enjoyed themselves in our venue over the years and enjoy being in a nice, secure and quality venue but understandably we are not everyone's cup of tea. Everyone has differing styles of venues they prefer and I fully accept this.

Our pricing has prompted comments previously and all I will say to that effect is that we are a late night Wine Bar and Restaurant that specialises in premium spirits, Wines and Champagnes.

We are also an independent family run venue that also has to pay suppliers, rates, bills etc, not to mention give our staff a decent and fair wage and meet our responsibilities as an employer. None of this comes cheap! We have been here for 11 years now and Saxtys has been operating since 1977 when many other venues and businesses have come and gone and if that means that SOME of our drinks are slightly more than other venues' then I am afraid that is how it is.

Finally, we only charge on the door after the restaurant service has finished on a Saturday Night (and we charge on occasional other club nights such as Bank Holiday Sundays)

Again, opening until 3am and having quality live DJs and other associated costs does not come cheap for us as a venue so yes, our door charge is necessary.
Hereford
“Fantastic evening, couldn't fault it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

I visited Saxty's last night as part of a hen party and wanted to say how impressed I was. Kay was superb when it came to helping me find suitable items from your menu due to my food allergies. She emailed me prior to the event with the whole menu broken down in to what was suitable and what could be substituted to suit my needs. I really cannot express enough how fantastic this was as eating out is normally very difficult. My meal was delicious and I will definitely be coming back for food again very soon. The champagne bar was beautifully decorated. Nothing was too much trouble for the waiting staff and Dan, our bar man for the night was brilliant. He was so friendly and accommodating, thank you Dan for contributing to our great night! We all thoroughly enjoyed the evening and I will definitely be recommending Saxty's to my coeliac friends for stress free eating and for a fantastic party atmosphere! :)

• Visited April 2013
Saxtys, Owner at Saxtys, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Hi Claire, and thank you for your lovely review. I'm really glad you all enjoyed your evening for the hen do! I know you have been to us before and we are always glad to welcome you, I'm pleased you enjoy coming here and dining with us. Although not everything on our menu can be adapted for allergies or dietary needs, with a bit of notice we can adapt or substitute a fair few things and we do have lots of items that are free from gluten or diary too. As you are aware, for the dish you wanted one of our local suppliers was also really helpful and made your choice especially for you for the day. It's these little things that we are more than happy to do when the need arises and it's great that you get in touch with us so that we can make dining out a stress free experience for you.
I'm also pleased the staff looked after you on the night and I think Dan enjoyed himself as much as you all did! We look forward to welcoming you all again soon.