“Excellent Food”

Gilbies Bar & Bistro
Ranked #52 of 254 Restaurants in Hereford
Cuisines: Bar, Mediterranean, British
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Tucked away from the hustle and bustle in a picturesque courtyard overlooked by St. Peter's church spire. Here is, quite simply, the only place to visit if it is a continental flavour that you are looking for. Where else in this little market town could you sit outside under the canopy of a huge grapevine and enjoy a pitcher of Europe's finest beer or lager?Here is an ideal spot to relax and contemplate life whilst sipping one of the worlds many varieties of wine.
shropshire
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Six of us went here on Monday night. I suffer from a number of food intolerances but it was no trouble for the lady chef who came out of the kitchecn to discuss what I could and couldn't eat.
The food was excellent, freshly prepared and presentation was first class. Good sized portions which cost around £10 a head. Will definately go back.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank cruisersNewport

united kingdom
“No longer a friendly welcome...”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Had a long lunch here, staff not at all helpful or friendly as we had experienced on previous visits, their attitude was impatient and hurried, no smiles or friendliness...the food also left a lot to be desired, luke warm no presentation...this cafe/bistro has been going for a long time and we have always enjoyed our visits, but....after our recent visit will be looking elsewhere, sad as they have the perfect central location..what a shame, with unemployment being at the level it is, you would think they would make a bit more effort...still in a couple of years time there will be a lot more competitiion, perhaps that is what is needed....I remember Gilbies how it was....

• Visited July 2012
5 Thank Jill H
Trevor08, Owner at Gilbies Bar & Bistro, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
I wonder why my normally attentive, friendly staff were not so on this occasion?
We would welcome a little more competition, it would liven the City up a little.
My staff need not worry about the "Unemployment" situation - they are all great at their jobs and well loved by our regulars.
Hereford, United Kingdom
“to expensive”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

myself and my wife used to use this place alot for drinks and food, its also a great place to meet friends for a lazy and chilled out afternoon, we noticed back last year that the prices started to rise and rise to the point we had 2 drinks and only got pennies back from £10 note, ok i can understand there logic here to a certain aspect.....keep prices high and we can keep out the riff raff! but seriously guys its now keeping us away and also all our frineds! drop your prices a little and we will start to come back again, but keep them like they are and we will not be back!

• Visited November 2011
7 Thank mark s
, Manager at Gilbies Bar & Bistro, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
One of the problems with offering a wide range of products is that customers often choose the premium or niche product and expect to pay “pub” prices. At Gilbies a standard, 125ml, glass of wine costs £2.30, Export Estrella Damm lager, 33ml bottle, costs £2.50, Spirits, premium – not “house” brands, are £2.75 a shot and Dortmunder Export draught lager costs £3.80 a pint. Of course you could order a pint of Anchor Steam Beer – from San Francisco at £4.30, but who would drink such a fine product by the pint? You could order two large glasses of wine at £4.60 each – but that’s two thirds of a bottle ! – it’s only £13.75 for the whole bottle. At Gilbies we give customers a choice of products and price them accordingly. What does the reviewer mean by “riff raff” ? – Everyone is welcome at Gilbies, we don’t choose our customers – our customers choose us !
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Best in town with great service and atmosphere”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We've been patronising Gilbies for years and can honestly say that in all that time it has remained the same delightful experience.We always take any visitors from out of Hereford and they love it as much as we do.Tucked away up a little alley it provides good food and drink at reasonable prices. Friendly atmosphere and friendly staff. Pleasant to sit inside and outside there is a great courtyard with grapevines and other plants including fantastic tree with a 'sculpture like trunk'.
The music is eclectic, pleasant and not all all intrusive. Gilbies is the sort of place that as a female you feel comfortable popping into alone for a coffee break when shopping. I often do this especially at Christmas time when I need a break from shopping. It's a geat place in the evening either to eat or just sit with a bottle of wine or beer enjoying the relaxing atmosphere.
I can't praise this place enough and hope it never changes especially with the new shopping area planned for Hereford. "It aint broke so don't fix it" Oh and I forgot to say it's great for all age groups young and old. One of the few places in Hereford that isn't just a clubbers bar. A must to visit and I promise you'll return.

• Visited June 2012
London, England
“Good place with tasty food”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We had chicken curry (my partner) and lamb tana (me) - both were very tasty indeed!
This is a nice place, tucked away down a little alleyway just off the main pedestrianised part of Hereford town centre.
The two girls who were running the place were really good, helpful, attentive and really doing a thoroughly good job!
The only reason I didn't give Gilbies 5 stars was that the red wine was a little boring and not very tasty. As a result, I thought it was overpriced. The beers weren't cheap either, but they tasted fine!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Snickerbar
Trevor08, Owner at Gilbies Bar & Bistro, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
I thank the reviewer for his time taken to post his comments.
I do not understand his point with regards to our wines. We serve a wide variety of red wines from most "old world" areas plus a couple from the "new world".
Our red "house" selection offers a total of five wines from Chilli, Spain and Italy all five are different, single varietal grape varieties.
A 250ml glass of wine ( one third of a bottle ! ) costs £4.95. A bottle is £14.65 ( £9.50 early evening ! ) - other reviewers may not think this "over priced" and everyone is welcome to ask to try a wine before purchase.
As our bottled beers are cheaper than almost every main street pub, I assume that the point made with regard to our beers being "expensive" refers to our draught range and is therefore subjective as the majority of these are genuine imports, not "mainstream - brewed under licence", therefore, at £4.30 a pint, these are marked up by far less than most draught beers available .