“Disappointing”

Ranked #24 of 215 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Porterhouse is not about variety. It's not about being all things to all people. It's about doing something simple & doing it better than anyone else. That something is Beef. 100% grass fed and naturally reared Beef.
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Steak under cooked and the chips were raw!! Service ok.just couldnt get out fast enough.we both asked for medium and received very different cooked steaks, blood oozing from mine and my husbands steak was tough as old boots, his words!! The price was what u would expect to pay £20 for sirloin, but this was one of the worst meals out we have had for a long time.the peppercorn sauce was cold.the brocolli and cheese side order was the best part of he meal.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

An excellent steak but both a little overcooked (my medium rare was more medium and OHs medium, more well done). If I go again I will ask for one stage rarer than I would normally ask. The veggies were OK but I guess you don't come here for the veggies.
Service was variable, we asked not to have the sauces but they still came (luckily on the side in little sauce boats) and no pepper, mayonnaise or mustard was offered and had to be asked for .
It is not cheap...over £100 for two of us, but that did include wine and champagne. The lunchtime special at under a tenner sounds like a real bargain though!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Went with a group of workmates who are notorious for being rubbish in restaurants. We booked for ten, seven turned up, and then proceeded to systematically ignore the waiting staff and be general pains in the bum. That the staff remained polite, friendly and helpful was indicative of the high level of service one can expect at this restaurant.

We had a mixture of dishes which came with a bowl of chips between four people (which was plenty) and a couple of sauces. I had the steak skewers, which were delicious - cooked perfectly and deliciously seasoned. There was plenty of food, and while you wouldn't call it cheap, it was respectably priced given the quality of the ingredients.

Plenty of non-steak stuff here too - my colleague had a rack of lamb which went down well, and there was salmon, sea bass and chicken too. Not a great deal of choice for veggies though, but then I guess you can't expect too much from a steakhouse, and there was at least a veggie option (which has slipped my mind).

All in all, a good experience, lovely food, friendly and accommodating staff. I'd go back.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Best steak - full of flavour - I have had in a long time. Chips were well above average too. You can certainly pay less for a steak but this was a good price for the quality. Will certainly return.

1  Thank FrankACPitts
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

I've been here a few times now and have never been disappointed. Not many of my friends knew about it so I go with them and they are amazed. Staff are so friendly and I can't fault it.