Tripadvisor

Ranked #81 of 225 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Bistro at the Hotel du Vin in Winchester is exactly where the whole stylish, witty, wine-loving hotel group began 25 years ago. Centrally located in one of Winchesters most important Georgian buildings, dating from 1715. The Bistro offers seasonal menus rooted in classic French cuisine from head chef Stuart Law. Recently refurbished with muted colours on the period panelling, stripped wooden floors, upholstered chairs, and origional fireplaces. The wine list is, of course, extensive and eclectic, with many available by the glass, and pre dinner cocktails can be enjoyed in the bar, so you may wish to stay the night in one of the 24 individually-decorated rooms.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very much last minute I booked a table for 3 last Thursday and pretty much from the moment I arrived the evening went well.
I did think previously that the HdV really needed to up their game in view of the Ivy coming to Winchester but last week they were back to their best.
Dida, the sommelier was excellent with us and chose a number of excellent and very suitable wines for our meal and brought a sense fun and real enjoyment to the meal.
The rest of the staff who looked after us were wonderful and overal, between the food, wine, atomsphere and company it was a special and quite un-expectedly excellent evening.

Date of visit: January 2020
ClareR1050, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Mr Ian T

Thank you very much for your time to write your review.
I will pass your feedback to Dida & our team. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and I hope I will see you in the future to come and dine in many occasions.

Best regards
Thomas S
Deputy General Manager

Write a reviewReviews (688)

Reviewed December 21, 2019 via mobile

First time to the Hotel and we were impressed.
Good ambience, good food and service in restaurant. The bar scene was good although the service in the bar was slow and we had to wait long time for our drinks to be served.
Other than that, the food, the choices and the complete ambience was all good, so would most likely return again.

1  Thank chrismranger
Reviewed December 14, 2019 via mobile

Another lovely meal with friends at this delightful restaurant. Varied menu, extremely good food and excellent attentive service from all the staff. The fruits de mar risotto and the tartiflette were both fab. We will be back!

Reviewed December 11, 2019

I went for lunch and ordered the set menu which was great value for money.
The risotto was delicious as well as the plum crumble.
The staff was very attentive and accommodating at all times.
The atmosphere was really nice, other customers around were having the afternoon tea and everything looked well-presented and lovely. I’ll definitely come back and try it for myself!!

Date of visit: November 2019
ClareR1050, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2019

Dear Monicpf,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your recent lunch with us. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your meal and the service the team provided. I look forward to passing on your lovely comments to the team.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Have a lovely Christmas.

Clare

Reviewed December 10, 2019 via mobile

Spent a very comfortable night here in one if the garden rooms. Tasteful appointment and a dream-inducing bed. Dinner in the restaurant was more than acceptable though my companion found the seafood risotto much too soupy in consistency, and the scallop starter was meagre.
Breakfast, however, was majestic.
I would certainly consider a return.

Date of visit: December 2019
ClareR1050, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to complete your feedback we are pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have gone through you feedback with Chef, and hope that we see you again soon at HDV Winchester.

Best Wishes