“Dining out on reputation”
Review of Chesil Rectory

Chesil Rectory
Reserve with OpenTable
Chesil Rectory is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 210 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Chesil Rectory is a unique and historic restaurant located in Winchester which occupies a 600 year old grade II listed Medieval house of exceptional character and charm. Independently owned since 2008 by a small group of friends who share a passion for food and wine, the Chesil Rectory offers a modern British menu featuring simple, classic, seasonal dishes and an abundance of fresh local produce.
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My wife and I had been wanting to eat at The Chesil for some time so we decided to celebrate our 40th and 50th birthdays by going for an early supper. The food was exquisite, tasty yet simple top notch grub. I had Smoked Haddock Chowder, Leek & Potatoes to start (could have licked my bowl clean!) followed by Lamb Rump, Sweet & Sour Garlic, Spinach, Potato Mousseline, Jus Gras, quite simply the best lamb I have ever tasted. Just cooked to perfection 5*!
My wife enjoyed Cured Salmon, Beetroot & Rhubarb, Horseradish Cream to start and Sea Bream, Crab Tortellini, Stockbridge Mushrooms, Crisp Cabbage which was also excellent.

The wine list was extensive and of a good quality. We enjoyed a gorgeous Sancerre and succumbed to a second bottle.

On the downside it lacked a little atmosphere, I think probably because we had an early booking and it may well liven up later on. It is a little cramped and the table for two quite small. The staff we friendly and efficient, if perhaps a little familiar at times which it made me feel that this is a place that welcomes a regular clientele. Would I visit again? Yes definitely but I may revisit some of the other local restaurants before I do and try to get a later booking!

Reviewed April 5, 2014

This was a wedding anniversary treat which we were looking forward to. We waited half an hour for starters which were very disappointing. I had the vegetable broth which was full of barely cooked vegetables and chick peas and smothered in parsley. My husband had the cured salmon which he could have eaten in one bite. Our main course was the fillet of beef which was tiny. Although that meal was delicious there wasn't much of it!!! All in all a very expensive meal which was not worth the cost. The service overall was poor probably due to a corporate booking upstairs. The management should take this into account and make sure they have adequate staff. We won't be going again.

2  Thank Shirley W
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We went here for a Saturday lunch with our son and daughter-in-law who had recommended it having had a dinner there. We had the fixed menu which was good if somewhat limited, we all ended up ordering the same meal. The food was good although the amount of soup served could have been more generous, the atmosphere and service was good and I enjoyed the beers served.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

My wife and I were looking forward to a pleasant evening meal at the Chesil after a gap of some years. The service was welcoming, the food was attractively presented and there was an extensive choice of wines. Nevertheless we left somewhat disappointed; the table water was stale and returned, the guinea fowl was bland, the crab tortellini with the over- priced bream was soggy doe and the crispy cabbage was out of place. And £28 for a £7 bottle of wine is stretching it! All the ingredients were there for an excellent evening, but sadly we felt, for the price paid, it missed the mark.

1  Thank Great_Uncle_Fred
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Our son and daughter-in-law treated us for our birthday on 21st March and we had a lovely evening. The food was at its best, we thought. The lamb and the chocolate desserts were especially delicious and beautifully presented. The service was the right balance of efficient and informal. It is a wonderfully atmospheric dining environment. I notice that the lighting comes up frequently for criticism as being too dark. I think this is potentially a problem for older people (I count myself in that category). Perhaps slightly brighter lighting might be helpful but I would hate to see the atmosphere spoilt - after all, this venue is one of the oldest (if not the oldest) continuously used eating places in Britain, and quite unique.
I would like to add that a couple of months ago I had the "early bird" menu with 2 friends and for the first time ever, and with trepidation, ordered chicken livers for my starter and they were absolutely delicious.
Without a doubt, this restaurant is a favourite eating place in Winchester for us and perfect for special occasions. (With a view to my last remark, I do think diners here should be discouraged from bringing very young children with them as this isn't really appropriate for a venue such as this - unusually, there was a small baby at the next table in this very grownup place when we went for a very late dinner at Christmas...)
Highly recommended!