“best place to eat in winchester”
Review of Chesil Rectory

Chesil Rectory
Reserve with OpenTable
Chesil Rectory is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 215 Restaurants in Winchester
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Chesil Rectory is a unique and historic restaurant located in Winchester which occupies a 600 year old grade II listed Medieval house of exceptional character and charm. Independently owned since 2008 by a small group of friends who share a passion for food and wine, the Chesil Rectory offers a modern British menu featuring simple, classic, seasonal dishes and an abundance of fresh local produce.
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have eaten in many places now in winchester, this is a true special place where you go for a date and enjoy a romantic meal. It feels like the food is made with love and overall the whole experience in the restaurant makes you feel special.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,329)

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Went to this beautiful place to celebrate our engagement and it was perfect!! Friendly staff, great service and the food was delicious!! Thank you for making our day!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

On a return to Winchester to stay with friends we treated ourselves and our hosts to a return to this fantastic venue based on its review in The Times. What a great ambiance that matched the quality of the food and service! Not at all precious or pretentious but just a thoroughly warm and happy evening. Doug was the Head Server upstairs and Laura served. Notable dishes were Reg's chicken, Venison and Bream. This was a huge improvement on the four or five evenings we had spent there previously in past years. And the prices, while not cheap, should not deter any knowledgeable diner familiar with the standard. How I wish we lived nearer!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

On my first visit to Winchester I wanted to take my wife for a Michelin dinner. I had chosen Chesil Rectory being close to the cathedral. On arrival we were pleasantly surprised by this gorgeous 1450 property with open log fire; the ambiance was awesome. I chose an expensive wine for the occasion and was not disappointed, excellent Chablis. The starters were good. Both main courses had issues. My wife's mushroom ravioli was only warm and bland tasting; my sea bream over cooked. It was as if one dish was plated up getting cold whilst the other was left in the pan too long. Timing issues that needed picking up at the pass. Not wanting to spoil a special evening and being typically English we didn't complain. The cheese board of 3 selections was very good. Both the sweets delicious.
Oh! if those mains could have been better cooked.

Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

We chose to have lunch here following the Michelin guide. The staff were welcoming and the ambience was cosy and smart at the same time. Based on the menu, reviews and presentation we were expecting fine dining. The artisan breads were flavoursome and we particularly like the oil and seed dip accompaniment. First we'd tried and we were impressed. My husband had sirloin and I had venison. The presentation was ok but not amazing and Sadly the taste of the mains were the same. Tasty but not yummylicous. The desserts were a different story both of which were presented well and had the taste to match.