“Very friendly and welcoming.”
Review of Giffard House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Winchester
Giffard House
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Our first trip to Winchester and we received a wonderful welcome at Giffard House. Our room, No 4, was fantastic, although at one point it did get cold but that was soon sorted out by the owners. Breakfast was exceptional, very busy so I would recommend getting to the dining room before 8.30am. It was nice to have the lounge to relax in with our friends after a hard days shopping at the Christmas markets. The hotel is only a 10-15 min walk into Winchester, so there were plenty of places to go for an evening meal. The only downside was for our friends who were allocated a room at the back of the hotel and they were kept awake by the trains going passed. I've also got to mention the affectionate Boxer dog Gerry, the beautiful cat and the very chatty parrot.

Room Tip: Room No 4 is fantastic, would recommend rooms at the front of the hotel, due to the train noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 14, 2013

A last minute trip to the UK was blessed with a return to the Giffard House. Unfortunately, too many people are finding out about the place and it made my stay interesting. Yvonne worked me in and I stayed in four different rooms: 4, 14, 1, and 10 for the seven days I was here. I really love room 4 because of the comfortable couch that augments the room. Yet my favorite for this stay was room 1, which has a large bathroom. All of the rooms were spotless. All of the rooms were fun. I can't say enough about this 5 star bed and breakfast. It is my absolute favorite.

Room Tip: The drink is inexpensive and the sandwiches are a deal.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Regularly travelling to Winchester I stay in a number of hotels/guest houses depending on availability but Giffard House is my preferred location for both myself and colleagues.

The rooms are well furnished and very clean. The beds are all of a high standard with more than enough pillows for any sleeper. The quality of furnishings is high. Certainly better than some of the mainstream hotels in town. There is no iron or ironing board in the rooms but an ironing / laundry room is made available to guests wanting to iron clothes.

Also of special note is the quality of the breakfast. A good choice of fruit salad and other cereals are available to help yourself to. Then freshly ordered and prepared full english, scrambled eggs and salmon and other specialities are available. Its nice to have things cooked to order rather than the usual rubbery fried eggs on a hot plate at a large hotel.

The wifi is free and certainly works in the majority of rooms that I've had recently.

The owners boxer dog who wanders around occasionally is always a docile and friendly chap who loves getting some attention.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JustinBedford
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Mum and I stayed here in a twin room recently when enjoying the Christmas markets in Winchester. Staff and owners couldn't have been more helpful. We felt very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. It feels almost as if you are staying in their home but with all the added extras of a quality hotel. Beds were sooooo comfy, rooms were very well equipped. The best thing for us was the location. Both on Saturday and Sunday we walked easily to and from the city centre meaning we didn't have to fight for parking. Breakfast was delicious and served very promptly. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel to anyone and Mum and I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We have been staying at Gifford House for many years (at least 4), while our son goes through school. I have stayed as a family, alone, or with my husband. We have stayed in various rooms, and I have always had a good stay. Very friendly owners, accommodating to late night arrivals, or early morning leaving. Breakfast has often been provided early. The breakfasts are FANTASTIC. The Full English etc , The location is excellent for access into town, a mere ten minute walk away, and you can park your car in the drive. I have not had any problems with a room, never heard any noise, and love it. I will always stay here if I am in need of a place to stay in Winchester. You can also do your own laundry as well. A huge selection of newspapers are piled high every day in the communal sitting area. It is immaculately clean, and just a perfect place. There is also friendly family cat and dog and parrot which add to the homely feel. They are v well behaved.

Room Tip: Front double room upstairs with bathroom is lovely. Suite on ground floor useful if you have baggag...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This hotel looks great from the outside - a nice old building. It looks like it will be a treat to stay there. But it wasn't. We stood waiting in the lobby for someone to appear, having rung, and minutes past so we rang again, and then a third time. Finally we heard a disembodied voice downstairs say grumpily, “There seems to be someone in reception wanting attention.”

We had booked four rooms and they were spread all over the house – one was outside in a kind of shed. Though we told her we were in a hurry (we were doing a long walk that day), the woman showing us round pointed out the tea and coffee things in every room. Our stay here was marked by oddness: a frightening squawking noise turned out to be – but of course! a parrot in the kitchen –, and the showers had the the world’s most difficult to open doors. The waitress at breakfast sighed loudly whenever she puts down our plates.

I've not felt moved to review a hotel before today, though I have stayed in plenty. But I found the atmosphere unwelcoming, my room - a single - was so tiny there was only just room for my rucksack next to the bed, but then I couldn't get past it, and the breakfast was indifferent.

Room Tip: Check that you're not in the tiny single
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank YvonneMcGow
giffardhouse, Manager at Giffard House, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Ms McGow,

It is most unfortunate you were not happy with your stay. We do not have a manned reception as our hotel is small so it is impossible to have a person simply doing this one duty. Guests usually gain admission by ringing the door bell, this then allows a normal greeting from the duty receptionist. Sometimes guests do come in via another guest allowing access and under this circumstance there maybe a delay in someone realising you are waiting, also the door is sometimes left open. There is a bell on the desk but it is not as penetrating as the front door bell.

We must take exception to your very inaccurate scathing comments associated with our accommodation being in a shed and our parrot being in the kitchen neither of which are true.

The room you refer to is room 14 which is located on our proper built annex which is also where we have our accommodation. This room is large for a single room and overlooks the garden. In no way is this single storey building a shed. It is of complementary brick and tile construction with good insulation.

The parrot is located in the parlour which is the room next to the kitchen and no food preparation is carried out in this area as to do so would be in breach of our very high standard of food hygiene and we have the highest rating in this regard issued by the Environmental Health Department of Hampshire County Council.

With regard to the room you occupied which was room 2 it is on the small side but by the same token you should not have needed to place your ruck sack where you chose as there is a more than adequate wardrobe in the alcove which would easily accommodate this both inside and out alternatively, on top of the wardrobe. Why you chose to put it where you did is difficult to understand.

As far as the rooms being spread about the house is concerned that is the way of things within the structural design of the property. This we cannot change.

We do try very hard to please all of our guests and on the very odd occasion, with the best will in the world it is impossible to do so.

Regards
Yvonne Banks

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Overall, we enjoyed our one-night stay in this B&B. The museumish grandiose Victoriana in all the rooms – whether you like it or not - goes perfectly with the house, and the stained glass window on the first floor is stunning. Against TripAdvisor recommendation, we had Room 11, next to the front door. This didn’t matter too much to us: there weren’t many other guests, so there was not much traffic in the hall. But in a more touristy season, avoid. It will be noisy. The room was spotlessly clean, with (nearly) everything you would expect of a 5* establishment. But the negatives are always more interesting in a review, aren’t they, so here goes: no fridge; the hospitality tray looked tired, as if the tea bags had been there for a month; horrid long-life milk; very ordinary biscuits; no fruit/green/mint tea; industrially made sliced bread for breakfast. Otherwise, everything lovely!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Dookyjo

Thank you for your review, we are pleased you enjoyed your one night stay with us, however we are concerned with your comments regarding the hospitality trays. Firstly we do use high quality foil wrapped tea bags. Fresh milk is available on request, and we do offer a comprehensive selection of fruit and herbal tea, as required. We always used Hovis or Kingsmill bread and the hospitality trays are replenished daily. Possibly you missed this information which is in our guest book provided in every room.

Kind regards