“lovely”
Review of Giffard House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Winchester
Giffard House
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
“lovely”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

i stopped there with my hubby and daughter..my relatives were in another room...we had the family room.it was big..and clean......the garden outside is great...we sat there having a few beers...the taxi took us all into town...only a few pounds to get there....great location for the wichester barracks...the breakfast was excellent...they asked if you wanted anymore coffee.juice.toast etc....well worth the money.....

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have had the privilege of staying in this beautiful Hotel in Winchester, England, twice. On both occasions I enjoyed the highest standard of service. The freshly cooked breakfasts were so yummy, and the variety of cereals, breads (including lovely gluten-free bread), choices of hot food, the beautiful freshly made fruit salad (with tropical fruits), varieties of yoghurt, choice of condiments and hot drinks available, was amazing.

With regard to the rooms I have stayed in. These are serviced to the highest standard, and each guest is supplied with toiletries of the best quality, for example, Molten and Brown. The towels are fluffy and there is a nice supply of tea-time goodies for all to enjoy. With comfortable heating on demand, for those chilly times. The Hotel is situated within an easy ten minute walk to the City centre and famous Cathedral, and numerous good restaurants. This lovely hotel houses some exquisite paintings, statues and interesting artefacts. An added bonus is the picturesque gardens, in which I have happily spent peaceful and restful leisure time.

My hosts,Yvonne and Peter warmly welcomed me into their world, as did their friendly and helpful staff, which made it very difficult for me to leave and embark on my journey home to Australia.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Kent
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Spent two nights at the Giffard whilst in Winchester. Extremely friendly staff and nothing too much trouble. Room excellent, comfortable and roomy with attention to detail. En suite was cleaned and replenished with towels and toiletries on both days. Breakfast great - plenty of choice and nothing too much trouble. Would certainly recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here last weekend and found it exceptional in every way.We arrived to a very friendly welcome from the manager Miss Banks.The Hotel it's self is superb with a great attention to detail,The room was a perfect size with a lovely comfy bed.(great nights sleep) plenty of tea and coffee.The en-suite was luxury with a lovely hot shower and molton brown toiletries.The next morning breakfast was scrumptious and plentiful.(great bacon)Yvonne and her staff were very helpful and could not do enough for us. All in all a excellent warm clean place to stay in lovely surroundings with lovely people.
HIGHLY recommended and will definitely return.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have just returned home from this hotel, we stayed there for the weekend and right from the front door opening until we left we were met with the most warm welcome and made to feel very much at home from the start of our stay. The manager,Yvonne Banks, was wonderful, nothing was too much trouble, it was just like being at a friends house. The hotel itself was immaculate, the decor was wonderful, the single room I had was lush, my friends had a twin room and it was the same, lush. The breakfast was like a 3 course meal, fresh fruit salad, a selection of kellogs, and a fry up, wow, wonderful stuff. If anyone is thinking of going to Winchester for the weekend then I would definatley recommend Gifford House. Beautiful.

Room Tip: Any room in this hotel is perfect
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rosemary994
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Having heard about Giffard house hotel from my daughter i was over the moon when she booked me a birthday weekend away there.
After reading the reviews I thought there was a small chance I maybe disappointed, surely it sounded too good to be true However how wrong was I. From the moment I arrived I was made to feel as if I was at home, I was greeted by Yvonne and Gerry, a charming boxer both with huge smiles. Yvonne showed me to a beautiful room- a shame I can't remember what number, however the room was full of character showing the original details of the house. It was clean, comfortable and utterly spectacular far better than any chain hotel room I have seen!
After settling into our room Yvonne was once again on hand to advise us of winchester and will such great knowledge, we had a wonderful afternoon. Yvonne told us of sites that were a little more remote and in keeping with Winchesters vast history. When we returned we were welcomed back to the hotel by Miss Bridges the macaw. What a beautiful touch. Yvonne very kindly prepared us sandwiches and afternoon nibbles. Due to a digestive disease my diet is extremely restricted, which Yvonne did her upmost to accommodate for.
The next morning I had a breakfast that truly made me feel at home, how can you complain about a good home cooked breakfast. There was plenty of selection bot hot and cold and well the dining room itself, I could have sat in there all day. What a room!! It was a beautiful back drop for a good honest breakfast.
Giffard House is a home from home but with just a little more edge. The attention to detail was spot on and the staff are friendly and utterly charming. I was truly sorry to leave. And I look forward to my next visit. If you want to relax enjoy a good breakfast in an environment that makes you feel special then this is the place for you. I cannot express fully just how superb Giffard House is.
My only complaint was that I didn't get to meet Hudson the cat!!
Thank you Yvonne for fantastic time and I look forward to seeing you Gerry and Miss Bridges soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Our room was small, the water glasses had lipstick marks, and at night the pipes were so noisy that we were kept awake. We asked to move to another room. The second room was more spacious and much nicer. Still dirty water glasses though, and limited stocks of milk and tea bags. Monday breakfast was a farce! The lady apparently wanted to give everyone a lie in, but forgot to put a note under everyone's door! Breakfast was due to be 7.30-8.30, but even well after 8am, nothing was ready. Breakfast was nice when it arrived though - just a shame it was so rushed. Overall, a bit of an impersonal feel to the place, not very welcoming, and clearly the rooms are very varied.

• Stayed June 2013