“Nice little cinema”

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Nice little cinema”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Enjoyed this little cinema - two screens in a converted military chapel. Five minutes walk from the military museums and Great Hall, so you can round off a day of tourism with a trip to this special cinema. Seats were comfortable, screen size and picture quality perfect, no heads in the way, and a (very small) bar for snacks, teas, coffees, beers, wine beforehand (you can take drinks from the bar into the film, but there's nowhere to put them; yet only seating for about 8 people in the bar area). Very little parking, but there is a large pay-and-display only 10 minutes walk away on Sussex Street. Winchester tourist information webpage has great maps to download and print - e.g. one of the city centre and one of car park locations.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Xylocopa

london
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Tip top opera experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Opera from the Met and prosecco in the intervals. All superb with good friendly service. Lovely all round evening

Visited June 2013
1 Thank elsie24
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Quirky cinema in an old church”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Shabby chic and quirky cinema that just about justifies the high prices. Winchester's only cinema which menas Everyman doesnt try very hard. Strange/ different set up. Take your own bag of chocs if you have a sweet tooth or kids. Best for adults. Small bar.

Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 323 helpful votes
“A cautionary tale for non-Winchesterites about parking!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I've given this venue a 'very good' as it would seem churlish not to, reading what I have about this little cinema on their website and Trip Advisor (come on, if it's good enough for Emma Thompson to declare open with a premiere of one of my favourite films, 'Sense and Sensibility', then it's good enough for me)!

I also know that the Everyman Cinema near me in Walton-on-Thames is very well thought of locally and among my friends, though I have not yet been.

However, and please do not reject my review, Trip Advisor, as I have seen many reviews on here where people didn't get into their chosen venue for one reason or another, but their reviews were still useful to others, which is the intention with this one - we didn't actually get inside!

We aimed to see a children's film one afternoon on our Winchester holiday on what was a very hot day, too hot for us, so we assumed that most families would be out and about and that few people would be at the cinema!

We left our holiday accommodation in good time, knew that there were just 20 parking spaces but has assumed most would be vacant on such a day, and the Everyman website suggested another car park if not. However, after our surprise at not getting a space at the cinema, and then getting lost in the streets of Winchester as we are so unfamiliar with them and couldn't find this other local car park, it ended up after the film start time and we had to abandon the venture.

This story has two morals:

1) Everyman, please could you put more detailed information on your website such as the exact location of the nearest public car park - and a map?

2) Tourists: leave in even more time than we did - we were in the car park with a good 15 minutes to spare before the film time but having found it full and then having got lost in Winchester we missed the film entirely. Good thing we hadn't booked online! Research it better than we did!

I think part of the reason may be that there seems to be a café open at the cinema and we could see people sitting at tables outside, so it may be that people come here even if not seeing a film, hence the parking issues.

I hope we will experience this unusual cinema properly one day!

Visited August 2013
12 Thank TwoDividedByZero
Winchester, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“As with all the 'screens' cinema set in an interesting period buildin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Only cinema in Winchester but nevertheless the best! Run by people who care and are knowledgeable about film. They screen both blockbusters and art house films. The bar sells decent drinks and snacks and you can take drinks into the auditorium. In my experience, a refreshing glass of white wine improves my tolerance of films like Twilight and Harry Potter no end :-)

Visited May 2013