“A good hotel”

The Winchester Hotel & spa
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed February 16, 2014

On approaching the hotel, it isn't the most beautiful, due mainly to the car park in the front, but it is a city hotel, and so the ameneties provided are in my mind far more important, and so headed on in. I found the Winchester Hotel to be of very good quality throughout. The decor is modern and relaxing, and our room was plenty spacious enough, as was the en-suite bathroom. There was every facility needed on hand in both, and everything worked and was of high quality. The room even included a fridge, which can be handy at times. WiFi was free, and didn't need an access code. Although we didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening, we did eat in Gershwins bar adjoining it, and both are again of good quality. The menu had a good selection, and the service was excellent. I can't speak about the spa facilities, as we didn't use them, but the door to our room overlooked the facility, and the pool area was always full, and people looked comfortable and relaxed. All in all, the hotel provided everything we needed for a relaxed weekend away. My only slight problem was that the water wasn't quite hot enough for a bath in the evening, but I don't consider it a big enough thing to mark down the hotel, as I let them know at the time. One further thing, the breakfast was delicious, with a large selection of both hot and cold food provided, and all enjoyed in various roomy seating areas for us to choose from.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
PAE044, General Manager at The Winchester Hotel & spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

On behalf of all the team here we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

There are newer reviews for The Winchester Hotel & spa

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We had a two night break ( Sunday and Monday) in this lovely hotel for my 65th birthday. Comfortable clean room with a very large bed, TV, hairdryer and two armchairs and coffee table. Ample wardrobe, drawers and dressing table, everything we could possibly need. The spa was good and the treatments we had were a reasonable price. Food was delicious and plentiful especially the breakfast. All the staff were friendly and helpful and we would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to everyone. We will hopefully be going back in September for our Sapphire Wedding Anniversary.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we are even MORE delighted that you are planning a return visit to us for your very special anniversary later in the year.

Please do let us know about your celebration when making your booking in order that we can make this occasion even more special for you.

We look forward to seeing you again in September.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed here overnight on a short leisure trip to see and friend and go to the footie at Southampton. It's a nice hotel and fairly close to the town. It's oddly at the back of a pay and display car park but they do have car parking themselves (reasonable price although I always resent paying to park at a hotel and you don't have to pay for the one in town).

Room was nice, clean and comfortable. All in all, no problems. Friendly staff, especially the guy on the bar who was great.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
PAE044, General Manager at The Winchester Hotel & spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Winchester - and to Southampton which is only a very short journey away and provides another visitor attraction for those guests staying at the hotel.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here last weekend and enjoy our stay, our room was lovely and clean and the bed was very comfy. We had a couple of drinks in the bar and Fred the barman was friendly and very helpful.
We had breakfast at peak time on Sunday morning, the food was of good quality, however the staff were over stretched, we didn't get our toast or coffee.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

Whilst i am delighted that you enjoyed your stay I am very sorry that you did not recieve your toast and hot drinks at breakfast - and I will of course review this with my Management team immediately.

With this in mind I am however pleased that you have chosen to recomend the hotel to others and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful place. Friendly staff. Nice room. Big bed. Big tv and free wifi. Didn't eat in the restaurant for dinner. We popped in to the bar and had a small glass of wine and bottle of kaliber. Thought oh it'll cost about 7 quid. Nah. Over 9 quid. The kaliber was £4.05. Outrageous. I know that u pay a bit extra for drinks in hotels but that was a joke. Brekkie was awesome. Buffet style but all fresh and hot. Organisation was a bit of a joke. Lacking in space to get the food. Tables were crushed together. But all the food was very good indeed.
The spa and jacuzzi were nice and steam room etc. All in all a good overnight stay. Definitely one of the best in winch. But need to address their prices and expand the buffet and seating area.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
PAE044, General Manager at The Winchester Hotel & spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to be able to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I booked two rooms here for a one night Fizz Break with my two daughters and a baby. We had adjoining rooms at the end of a corridor which was great apart from the squeaky adjoining door which was fixed the next day.
I very much enjoyed the stay and the facilities, but agree with previous reviewers about the coolness of the spa and the cold pool water. Also I was woken by water like sounds from the air conditioning unit during the night even though I switched it off.
The food, staff and service were very good without being overwhelming. I would certainly return again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank DebbieOxfordshire

Dear Guest

Thank you for your very nice review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Never reviewed before but thought The Winchester deserved one. Got a cheap deal through a discount site and took our son and girlfriend away. Had a fantastic night at the hotel, excellent food in the restaurant we were well looked after and although the final bill was a bit pricey I can say I have only myself to blame. A great stay.

Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.