“Nice hotel, excellent staff”

The Winchester Hotel & spa
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed a few days at this hotel for business. The hotel was in a nice location, easy walking distance to the center of town and the train station in Winchester. The hotel itself was very nice. The staff was absolutely outstanding. They were all very friendly and helpful. I had a few issues (not with the hotel) that I needed help with and the staff went above and beyond helping me out. Of specific note, Fred the bartender was very friendly, happy, and helpful.

The only downside of the hotel was a little bit of noise in my room. It sounded like the water or heating system that just seemed to make some noise from time to time. It wasn't a major problem, but it did disturb my sleep from time to time.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
PAE044, General Manager at The Winchester Hotel & spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your EXCELLENT review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.

Paul Eaves General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,869)

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We have just returned from a lovely stay at this hotel. Every single member of staff was friendly and polite and we were acknowledged by each staff member that we met throughout the hotel. We thorougly enjoyed our dinner last night and breakfast this morning. One little niggle - the public car park in front of the hotel is free on Sundays, it would have been great if that had been pointed out to us. At a Marks and Spencer food outlet on the way to Winchester, the young man at the checkout pointed out that instead of buying two individual items it would be cheaper to buy a pack with two in, we commented on the good service. It doesn't take much to keep us happy as customers! That niggle aside, we would recommend this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your FANTASTIC review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I would recommend to avoid the spa packages here. The ladies changing facilities are tiny, cramped too hot and not clean at all! How they have 25 lockers in the ladies but only enough space for 4 ladies in that cramped area is baffling. In addition I was offered one towel only plus loan of a robe at the cost of a non refundable £7.50. The spa area itself is nice. I would recommend to avoid. The only reason I had a lovely day was because I was with my friend. The ladies changing facilities are tiny, cramped too hot and filthy! How they have 20ish lockers in the ladies but only enough space for 4 ladies in that cramped area is ridiculous! You're offered one towel only and a loan of a robe at the cost of a non refundable £7.50. The steam room is plastic and cramped. The sauna is tiny! The swimming pool was freezing cold and all areas again very dirty. The impossible thing about their spa day packages is that you have to be dressed to use the the hotel.

All in all I let not feeling I got my money's worth

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Jennifer W

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

Whilst I accept that like any business we can never `get it right` every single time I am afraid that i do have to disagree with you that our Spa and changing facilities are cramped and dirty - as you have suggested. Equally your view is very much at odds with other reviews on this site and others, and the direct customer feedback.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We have just returned from this wonderful hotel. We had the 'heritage package' which was great value for money. The staff were wonderful and couldn't do enough for you. We had a 3 course meal included which was fantastic, good choice on menu and beautifully presented. Breakfast had everything you could wish for and replenished all the time. The hotel is a ten minute walk into Winchester so your car can be left in the car park during your stay. They even threw in entrance to the cathedral which was well worth the visit. The spa area is small but is a bonus after a day of sight seeing. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 24Carol56
PAE044, General Manager at The Winchester Hotel & spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your WONDERFUL review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Fantastic hotel, attentive staff, great facilities and location. Having never been to Winchester before I was sceptical about going to a hotel that wasn't a big chain but wow! Everything was great and I will defiantly be going again. If I had to pick on anything and I am being picky, it would be that the pool is small. Other than that everything was great. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the assistant a manager and young bar man were very helpful. Loved it

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Abcd101010

Dear Guest

Thank you for your GREAT review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Staff were very helpful, polite and friendly. Room had everything you could ask for and was spotlessly clean.
I am a very light sleeper and I don't usually enjoy staying in hotels however I had a very comfortable nights sleep.
This hotel is very well run and well worth a visit. Not the cheapest but certainly excellent value for money.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your FANTASTIC review of The Winchester Hotel and Spa.